• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

GroTube/GlassBox Details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

#61 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 30 2015 - 8:41 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

NEW Configuration:

Introducing the GroTube XXL.  Same size, same price, now with more room to accommodate larger ant species.

Compare:

GroTube XL:

NEW GroTube XXL:

The goal is to offer these as a free trade-in for current GroTube owners.  More details to be announced, probably in a few weeks after additional testing and refinement.  You can tell from the picture that I haven't fully moved this colony of Camponotus pennsylvanicus into the nest.

Another question- the loop video on the web seems to show an open air lid concept, but the option pictorial shows a slotted lid. Does it come with both options?

Two lids are included with each GlassBox transition arena, and they work together and serve different functions.

The bottom-most lid is lined with Fluon or another deterrent underneath.  This way, the sides of the foraging area may remain clear and free of the milky-white deterrent.  Further, the deterrent lid may be quickly swapped if it starts to perform poorly, as opposed to evacuating all the ants from the arena, cleaning out the foraging area, and reapplying deterrent.

The top-most lid, not pictured in the video, acts as a physical barrier.  This second lid is used for emergencies, transport, or for ants that are able to escape the Fluon-lined lid.  An open-air foraging area with plenty of ventilation is the default use case.

The lid design has not been 100% finalized.  I'm trying to make them very dummy proof, made for ants, durable, and cost effective.

Dummy proof is important, since I'm going to be buying at least one.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#62 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 30 2015 - 8:45 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The new lids for the foraging areas are perfect. No gap, easy drop in, laser machined mesh that doesn't look like it was cut by a kindergarten kid in art class, countersunk tapped screws instead of adhesives, and aluminum handles.
  • BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#63 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 30 2015 - 8:48 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

When can we trade in our olds for news?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#64 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 30 2015 - 8:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
It's a discounted upgrade for current customers, not a trade in.

http://byformica.com...ng_Area_Upgrade
  • BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#65 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 30 2015 - 9:34 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Even better!

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#66 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 31 2015 - 8:28 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm prepping a large and a medium to go out to some of the first backers tomorrow as a test shipment!

I've been working through the technical problems little by little—but am about to lose my mind!

Due to the extraordinary demand and the insane amount of time it takes to make each one-of-a-kind artwork, these beautiful boxes will not land on Amazon for some time!  Please place your order today at http://grotube.byformica.com!

Another reason to buy today—boxes that ship from Amazon will not include both lids, only the bottom open lid!  The top lids must be purchased separately on Amazon, but are included with purchases made on byFormica.com!  Alternatively, I may have to increase the prices everywhere the boxes are sold in order to include both sets of lids for the ones sold on Amazon.  More details on this at a later time.

Buy today to lock in the price and all the bells and whistles.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 1 2015 - 4:29 PM.

#67 Offline Lamarr - Posted July 31 2015 - 9:37 PM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Is there a reason why ones that are going to be sold on Amazon will not include both lids?

If bought from Amazon will boxes have an empty hole without the top lids?

#68 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 31 2015 - 9:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes.

These are very expensive and labor intensive products. Open top is designed to be used with Fluon, which is also sold separately.

In order to keep the same price on Amazon, I will need to make the second lid an option.

Another option I'm considering is to raise prices by about $10 on both byFormica.com and the Amazon-fulfilled units.  This would allow me to include both sets of lids regardless of where they are purchased.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 31 2015 - 10:03 PM.

• Subverted likes this

#69 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 31 2015 - 10:49 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I just ordered mine!  I'm so excited, but i don't know what I'm going to put in it lol.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#70 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 31 2015 - 10:52 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Hopefully something pretty!  These are some classy boxes.

• BugFinder likes this

#71 Offline Lamarr - Posted July 31 2015 - 11:33 PM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

How will the top lid be priced if listed separately on Amazon?

Would we have to pay double or extra if the box has 2 openings to close them up?

#72 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 31 2015 - 11:35 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If I price the lids separately I'm thinking $12 for the singles and $16 for the doubles.  The handles are expensive and it's twice as many holes to countersink and tap.

But if I increase prices $10 across the board everywhere it's sold, then I can include both lids and maybe even a single small bottle of Fluon.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#73 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 31 2015 - 11:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That is one nice looking out world.

• BugFinder likes this

#74 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 31 2015 - 11:52 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I'm thinking about putting my vicinus in it when it arrives.  Do you think I need to use vicinus brood to boost her, or would any campontus brood work?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#75 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 31 2015 - 11:54 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Definitely use the same species if possible.

I've not had success boosting between Camponotus species—mine accepted brood but failed to open the cocoons when the pupae were developed.  Maybe Drew or another westerner will have some additional insight regarding that species.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 1 2015 - 12:01 AM.

• BugFinder likes this

#76 Offline Lamarr - Posted August 1 2015 - 1:00 AM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

But if I increase prices $10 across the board everywhere it's sold, then I can include both lids and maybe even a single small bottle of Fluon.

This seems to make much more sense in both terms of completing the box and making use of the dual layered lids. Although, if sold separately it also makes sense to include fluon anyway; otherwise it would be impossible for people to keep their ants in if they didn't have fluon or other repellents.

Do you have a picture for the connector part of the box? I'm can't tell if the connector piece is protruding from the box or vinyl tubing and such would have to be used to connect it to the GroTube.

#77 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 1 2015 - 1:01 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It protrudes.  Vinyl tubing is not used anywhere.

#78 Offline Lamarr - Posted August 1 2015 - 1:04 AM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

It protrudes.  Vinyl tubing is not used anywhere.

Gotcha. This picture was confusing me https://drive.google...2d1WjNlMTg/view.

#79 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 1 2015 - 1:06 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I was experimenting with vinyl tubing in that picture, because I was having problems with the smaller plastic connector breaking.

But I fixed the problems, so no more flimsy tubing.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 1 2015 - 1:06 AM.

• BugFinder likes this

#80 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 2 2015 - 1:28 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Have you ever wanted to film your ants in a scenic, natural setting?  Why settle for a tupperware container you can make yourself, when you can have a beautiful, artisan crafted masterpiece?  Well now you can have your cake and eat it too, with the GlassBox transition arena!  

Here is an example of a Medium size GlassBox arena, shown with Raindrop Blue backsplash.  The backsplash is interchangeable, and additional colors will soon be sold separately on Amazon.com.  Note that mediums usually don't come with driftwood because the wood takes up so much room, but I made this one special.

Imagine your ants...foraging in these boxes.  Please don't delay!  There is a short wait for these boxes due to unprecedented demand and the time it takes to hand craft each masterpiece!  Order today at http://grotube.byformica.com to reserve the current price and your place in line!

Edited by drtrmiller, August 2 2015 - 1:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users