• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

looking for inexpensive colonies CALIFORNIA

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 17 2020 - 12:21 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If you're looking for an overall exciting species for your son i would recommend solenopsis xyloni. They are very aggressive and fun to watch during feeding time, and they grow very fast so your son won't have to wait long to see some great ant action. They also are very forgiving to mistakes and hard to accidentally kill.

#22 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 17 2020 - 1:31 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

but you would need to be very careful to make sure thy don't escape as they are a stinging species.

solenopsis xyloni i mean

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#23 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 17 2020 - 1:33 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
yeah of course but if contained properly with fluon they are likely to be very entertaining for the kid.

#24 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 17 2020 - 1:36 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

true.....

depending on the age of the kid

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#25 Offline BeerBandit - Posted September 17 2020 - 2:10 PM

BeerBandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

yes, i was referring to the acromyrmex being difficult to keep. i completely understand that its not at all suitable for a beginner, and was only half serious about wanting to jump into the deep end with weights on my ankles :). also, i was indeed told that they are near me. however, it doesnt rain very often here. especially not during the last few years. even if it does rain soon, i wouldn't even really know where to begin in means of hunting them down. i don't think it woud be a terrible thing if you were to sell the acromyrmex if you didn't know too well how to care for them yourself as long as you made a disclaimer about that. i mean, if people want them, people want them. by the way, everyone, I'm sorry that I'm just reponding to everyones comments all in one post. but I'm not too sure how i would quote everyone to reply in just one post. i have a question, tho. does anyone know if this species of fungus (i forget its latin name) can be cultivated on agar or grain? i grow mushrooms, and basically, that is just cultivating mushrooms... seems like it would be really easy to make an endless supply of "starter kits" for colonies, lol. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#26 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 17 2020 - 2:35 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

true.....
depending on the age of the kid

in my opinion xyloni are always entertaining to anyone who wants to see a colony grow massive in a short time.

Edited by Manitobant, September 17 2020 - 4:22 PM.

#27 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 17 2020 - 3:42 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Honestly, i would take that vicinus deal for 20 dollars. I think you would love the colony.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#28 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 17 2020 - 4:18 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
Xyloni queens also fly en masse and are pretty cheap.

#29 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 17 2020 - 4:33 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Imo most species are a good beginner if you know how to care for them. Instead of going for mainstream ants because other people say so, if you really want the more interesting species, do research. Lots of research. As long as you have a solid basis no species is overly difficult. It may be challenging, but a little challenge is part of any hobby. As long as you want to you can learn how to react to these challenges.

• Somethinghmm and Ants_Dakota like this

#30 Offline BeerBandit - Posted September 17 2020 - 4:50 PM

BeerBandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

i agree, ponerinecat. but, i havent raised any, so I'm not sure my vote counts, lol. if money wasnt so tight, i would most likely grab a leaf cutter colony as well, but I'm perfectly fine getting my feet wet with a much more common colony

#31 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 17 2020 - 5:10 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
As i said getting a solenopsis xyloni colony would probably be your best option. Very forgiving to mistakes and very fun to watch progress from a queen.

#32 Offline BeerBandit - Posted September 17 2020 - 5:23 PM

BeerBandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

i thought i read something about not being able to deal with solenopsis on the market here? or was that only certain ones? if they are fine to have, i would also be interested in those. 

#33 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted September 17 2020 - 5:26 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

That's only for the four species listed in the rules, other species are fair game.

#34 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 17 2020 - 5:29 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
That is only invicta, which is a destructive invasive species. Solenopsis xyloni is a native species.

#35 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted September 17 2020 - 5:38 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

That is only invicta, which is a destructive invasive species. Solenopsis xyloni is a native species.

Also geminata, richteri, and saevissima

#36 Offline BeerBandit - Posted September 17 2020 - 5:53 PM

BeerBandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

ok, i don't quite remember the rules, as i only read them once, right before i made my post :P. i wasnt sure if it said solenopsis is general, or listed a few. thank you guys for clearing that up for me

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#37 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 18 2020 - 6:56 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Check out all the boat loads of sellers that are in your area or state, and see what they offer. I would start there is money is tight, which i totally get.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#38 Offline BeerBandit - Posted September 18 2020 - 9:25 AM

BeerBandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've looked at a handful of cali sellers, and messaged them. i can't pretend that moneyy is tight because covid costs a lot. money is always tight as a single father. at least in my situation. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#39 Offline OldManTrashcan - Posted September 18 2020 - 10:03 AM

OldManTrashcan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, CA
I'm supprised no one has mentioned tetramorium, they're like xyloni but without the stinging risk

Edited by OldManTrashcan, September 18 2020 - 10:03 AM.

#40 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 18 2020 - 10:05 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I'm supprised no one has mentioned tetramorium, they're like xyloni but without the stinging risk

I mean, they grow fast, but they are really tiny and hard to see and enjoy. And they are invasive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users