• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nylanderia Notebook

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 26 2021 - 1:29 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

In a jar with dirt in it. 

What are you keeping them in?

#102 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2021 - 3:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I do not hear people talking about these ants, maybe it's because I'm new. However, glad to see your journal.They have a nice giant striped gaster to them.

Your AntApartment is quite neat, the design looks amazing. Also, nice outworld for them.

Hope to continue reading about your progress.

Thanks, that made my day. I highly recommend these ants if you can find some.
AntCatcherPro, I think you need a mini-hearth for them.
  • MrPurpleB likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#103 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 26 2021 - 3:56 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I'll get one. Can't promise I'll use it. It's impossible to move them and they are all settled into their new home. I doubt they would move. Also I don't want to risk losing brood or hurting the queen.

#104 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 27 2021 - 6:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Here are some better photos of all the male alates that are popping up now.

IMG 9680

Here is an overhead look at their Antpartment setup. You can see the opening in the lid I will use to try to allow these alates to fly in a month or so.

IMG 9682

• MrPurpleB and TacticalHandleGaming like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#105 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 29 2021 - 6:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-29-2021

I'll let this photo speak for itself, but my Nylanderia colony has their first two female alates. This took roughly 11 months. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Attached Images

• IMG-9713.jpg

• Fatatoille, Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#106 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 30 2021 - 4:06 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
When will you let them fly?

#107 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 30 2021 - 4:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

When will you let them fly?

These start flying in earnest after Memorial Day. They absolutely swarm blacklights.
  • Lillyrose likes this

#108 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 30 2021 - 5:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Interesting, same as my colony as well. Mine has not produced any yet, but I image some of the smaller brood they have will be alate brood.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#109 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 2 2021 - 5:43 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I have a colony of them that got displaced when I was tilling the garden. I don't know if I have the queen though and if I missed her ... well, she got tilled...

The colony is absolutely busting with alates though .. so I'm hoping to let them fly.

#110 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 2 2021 - 6:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This is why I don’t till in my garden.

#111 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 3 2021 - 4:38 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Valid .. but it is the hubby's pride and joy and I won't try to stop him. I'm proud cause I got him to stop using the sprays ... I buy ladybugs, fly predators, and lacewings instead.

Ok .. I don't mean to high jack your journal... thanks :) and I love your girls!

#112 Offline NPLT - Posted May 3 2021 - 5:19 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

Valid .. but it is the hubby's pride and joy and I won't try to stop him. I'm proud cause I got him to stop using the sprays ... I buy ladybugs, fly predators, and lacewings instead.

Ok .. I don't mean to high jack your journal... thanks :) and I love your girls!

If I may offer some advice, tell him that not tilling leads to healthier soil, and healthier soil is obviously better for any plants in your garden.

• ANTdrew likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#113 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2021 - 5:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Exactly, brother! Top dress with compost, and let the worms, ants, and soil micro-biome do the tilling for you. But I get it if you need to pick your battles to keep the peace. One garden tilled is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#114 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 6 2021 - 4:58 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

i caught 18 nylanderia flavipes queens,i made a 8 queen colony and a bunch of smaller ones. i wonder if the workers will keep the queens.

• ANTdrew, TacticalHandleGaming and yibsi like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#115 Offline yibsi - Posted May 22 2021 - 12:51 PM

yibsi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois
Yesterday I found a bunch of Nylanderia parvula queens, I’ve currently got a five queen polygynous colony and 2 single queen colonies the queens themselves have a lot of personality, and I’m looking forward to seeing if the workers have it too, I found what I’m pretty sure is the parent colony and they are enormous, the colony spans about 4 feet and they live in a mulch bed I actually saw some alates still leaving the nest, however the majority of their flight occurred yesterday, definitely a pretty cool genus, I’m looking forward to seeing these gals grow!

Edited by yibsi, May 22 2021 - 12:52 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Nylanderia parvula - 4 queen polygynous colony with larvae + devoloping workers

Camponotus pennsylvanicus  - 1 queen with 2 cocoons, and a few larvae and eggs

Tetramorium immigrans - 3 colonies, first nanetics!

Formica pallidifulva - 1 queen, 8-10 eggs

Tetramorium atratulum - 1 queen with roughly 17 host workers

:D Pheidole pilifera - 1 queen! recently caught! :D

Solenopsis Molesta - 2 queens so far, polygenous set-up

---------------------------------------------------

My Ant Journal - yibsi’s Wonderful Ant Keeping Journal 5-22-21 - Ant Keeping Journals - Ants & Myrmecology Forum (formiculture.com)

My T. Atratulum Journal - https://www.formicul...ontinued/page-2

#116 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 30 2021 - 12:08 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I feel like reviving this so here I go! I have a colony of Nylanderia cf. kraepelini and they are around 5 months old and are at 27 workers strong. I know it's a bit small for Nylanderia but the brood take forever to develop. They just got their first fully sized worker a couple weeks ago. I am actually not sure of the species hence the cf I put in. On antweb Nylanderia aren't even found in malaysia and on antwiki only 2 species are found here. However there are waaay more than 2 species but I'm quite sure the rest are invasive. I have seen around 5 species of Nylanderia so far and I can't ID them so I call mine kraepelini cuz that's the closest I can find . They are easy to feed and are very, very good escape artists. And that is why I love them.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • ANTdrew likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#117 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 30 2021 - 2:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome to the Notebook! Post some photos of your ants when you can. New Nylanderia flights should start in my area any day now.
  • ANTS_KL likes this

#118 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 30 2021 - 2:58 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Welcome to the Notebook! Post some photos of your ants when you can. New Nylanderia flights should start in my area any day now.

Sure thing!

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#119 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 1 2021 - 5:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-1-2021

My Nylanderia vividula colony is full of alates now. In fact, I think all their brood production in the past few months has gone into reproductives. There are at least 20-30 queen alates and at least 100 males. They are starting to show their eagerness to fly by congregating in the outworld each night. Some males have even been able to fly out of the opening in their outworld lid. I tried carrying their whole setup outside a few times, but it is still quite a bit cooler outdoors, so they seem to lose interest in flying. I've aspirated a few of the new queens and deposited them outdoors as well.

Another interesting thing I saw one day was a dealate queen wandering around the outworld. Their original queen still has her wings, so I assume this is a new queen. I wonder if she is reverting to acting like a worker, but there may be a chance she mated in the nest. Some other questions I have are if the colony will kind of peter out now that they have reached maturity, or if the queen will revert to raising up new workers? I wonder if the setup needs to be outside for a longer period of time to prompt a flight? It's been an interesting learning experience in any case.

Some alates itching to fly:

IMG 9933
IMG 9932

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#120 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted June 1 2021 - 8:13 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Can you find the queen and get pics of her? Also, my colony is doing awesome! They have exploded in growth since the last few days. I see at least 7 workers at the surface at all times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users