• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nylanderia Notebook

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#61 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 16 2020 - 6:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I think their colonies don't actually get that big. Queens must not live very long, and they start producing alates pretty early on.

Edited by ANTdrew, November 16 2020 - 6:39 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#62 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2020 - 7:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

This colony is happily in hibernation now. See you back here in a couple of months. I predict next season will bring alates for sure.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#63 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 19 2020 - 9:24 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

This colony is happily in hibernation now. See you back here in a couple of months. I predict next season will bring alates for sure.

hopefully you will keep posting during winter, antdrew. i have already lost too many friends to winter!

• ANTdrew and M_Ants like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#64 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2020 - 9:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah, I will. Somebody's gotta help these Australians.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#65 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 19 2020 - 9:29 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yeah, I will. Somebody's gotta help these Australians.

:lol:

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#66 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2021 - 5:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-2-2021

I picked up my colony of Nylanderia vividula yesterday to begin warming them up again. The vast majority of workers made it through hibernation fine, as did queen Aslaug. There were quite a few dead ants that I had to vacuum up, however. The colony had a very small amount of eggs/ tiny larva that overwintered. They are still in my prototype Antpartment nest with a BoxBox outworld attached. I set one end of the setup on a loop of heat cable yesterday afternoon, and they are slowly coming back. A bit of condensation formed over their water tower, so I may need to tinker a bit with the heating. I hope they get fully active soon.

IMG 9253

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#67 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 10:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-15-2021

It has been two weeks since I woke up my Nylanderia vividula colony from their diapause, and they are doing great. They've gotten back to feeding heavily on protein, and I've been feeding them crickets, mealworms, earwigs, and the occasional termite treat. Their Antpartment formicarium is working out nicely for them, but condensation is a bit of an issue over their water tower. Heating the top of the glass would probably fix the issue, though.  I really, really love this colony!

IMG 9340
IMG 9341

Here is some new larvae:
IMG 9344

They are a couple hundred eggs on the other side of the water tower. These ants know how to grow!
IMG 9342

• TennesseeAnts and Fatatoille like this

#68 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 15 2021 - 10:41 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

that's a lot of ants. I have a Nylanderia Parvula colony. I have tons of them in my yard, so I caught a colony. They grow fast.

#69 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:12 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

that's a lot of ants. I have a Nylanderia Parvula colony. I have tons of them in my yard, so I caught a colony. They grow fast.

How'd you ID the Nylanderia? They can be very difficult to ID, especially more Northern species. 

#70 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 15 2021 - 3:27 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

It took me a LONG time, and I did a ton of researching, but I am pretty sure, pretty sure, that I found the right ID. Everything about them matched. (I used ant wiki). Not the best ID place, but I found out what they were. I saw that there were a species of nylanderia that needed a host.... of the species that I had, and I found that the ants that they needed, were the species that I had.

#71 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 15 2021 - 3:28 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Nylanderia deceptrix, were the ant that needed nylanderia parvula as a host.

#72 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 15 2021 - 8:13 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

It took me a LONG time, and I did a ton of researching, but I am pretty sure, pretty sure, that I found the right ID. Everything about them matched. (I used ant wiki). Not the best ID place, but I found out what they were. I saw that there were a species of nylanderia that needed a host.... of the species that I had, and I found that the ants that they needed, were the species that I had.

Really the only way to ID Nylanderia is by using a high-power microscope or to send specimens to someone that has one. I would just leave it at Nylanderia sp. for now if I were you.

#73 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 16 2021 - 1:16 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Hmm. I have a microscope, so I'll look into the ID a little more later.

#74 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 16 2021 - 10:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Hmm. I have a microscope, so I'll look into the ID a little more later.

Unless you have a good, reliable stereo microscope it will be extremely difficult to impossible to get an ID for Nylanderia. If you're interested, this one is a great budget scope.

#75 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 16 2021 - 10:36 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Ok

#76 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 29 2021 - 9:07 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

My colony keeps finding a way to escape. I even put fluon so they couldn't escape..... but they still found a way. I think they need more space. I'll try to hook up another dirt jar or something.

#77 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 29 2021 - 9:11 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

My colony keeps finding a way to escape. I even put fluon so they couldn't escape..... but they still found a way. I think they need more space. I'll try to hook up another dirt jar or something.

I think for small, fast, escape artists like this, a large outworld is probably best to make it easier on the keeper.

#78 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 29 2021 - 9:13 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Right. The colony is growing pretty fast. Not a lot of workers are escaping, and not in one day, but still. When do nylanderia fly? I might want to try to get a colony from just a single queen.

And yeah. I probably will hook up an outworld. They'll discover it quick.

#79 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 29 2021 - 9:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes. More space is key with ants like this. Fluon needs to be kept very well ventilated and free from humidity, too. Fluon stops mine, but I cut a big hole in their lid, so it’s actually open air.

#80 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2021 - 6:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-1-2021

All fooling aside, this colony is doing great. They're actually probably one of my favorites. I've been giving them one or two big protein meals a day, and they are pumping out brood accordingly. The Antpartment nest I made for them is working very nicely, and I solved the condensation issue by heating the top lid. They have spread out more throughout the nest and have brood piles in various locations, but they seem to like the middle chamber best at the moment.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the number of workers out foraging is at a peak shortly before dawn. I think I may try to adjust my feeding to sync up with this surge in activity. This is one of the easiest species I've kept. :bye2:

IMG 9493

IMG 9494

IMG 9495

IMG 9496

IMG 9497

• DDD101DDD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users