• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nylanderia Notebook

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#141 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 30 2021 - 11:07 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

How long did it take your queen to get nanitics?  Just wondering the wait if I decide to go on a little hunt for them next year.

• ANTdrew likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#142 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 30 2021 - 11:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They take about five weeks, I’d say.
  • Chickalo likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#143 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 30 2021 - 11:25 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Luckily for me, there's some flavipes sightings just outside of Lynn Woods I can go to in May :)

Edit:  Capitalized the M in May, grammar matters!

Edited by Chickalo, October 1 2021 - 4:05 AM.

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#144 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 30 2021 - 6:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You’re learning! Next time put a comma after the dependent clause, “Luckily for me.”

Edited by ANTdrew, September 30 2021 - 6:25 PM.

• Kaelwizard, NickAnter, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#145 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 19 2022 - 8:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 1-19-2021

This colony remains in hibernation. They are in my parents' unheated basement, which is down in the 40s now. I checked them on Monday, and everything looks great. I'm looking forward to waking them up in a month or so. I hope to take advantage of their dormancy to clean some of the crud off the lid of their Antpartment formicarium. I may even just swap in a whole new lid. I think the sky is the limit for Aslaug and her colony this year.

• TacticalHandleGaming, AntBoi3030 and PaigeX like this

#146 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 14 2022 - 6:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3/14/2022

My large colony of Nylanderia vividula are starting off their third season. I brought the colony home from my parents' cold basement on Saturday to start their spring despite the fact that it was snowing outside. I'm letting them warm up slowly at room temps, but I'll start to heat them today. The colony culled all the male alates that remained, but there are still several queens alates in the nest. It's tricky now because several of them have pulled off some of their wings, so it is almost impossible for me to tell which one is the OG queen. I think there may be several productive queens in the nest now after I let some mate on my blacklight sheet last summer and returned them to the colony. Despite their small size, I can't sing the praises of Nylanderia enough.

They have been in this Antpartment nest since Veteran's Day 2020:

IMG 2138

Some of the chambers and the mega water tower. They have plenty of eggs and brood in various places around the nest.
IMG 2143
IMG 2144

• ConcordAntman, AntsDakota, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

#147 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 18 2022 - 6:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-18-2022

This colony has been heated for a few days now, and they are resuming their usual crazy-ant ways. They have hundreds of eggs, so activity is really going to ramp up soon. There actually aren't many of last year's alates left anymore. Here is a GIF I made of one of their first protein feedings:

IMG 2172

• ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#148 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2022 - 6:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-22-2022

This colony is back in business. They take a few days on heat to fully resume their activities and feeding responses. I've seen workers carrying several dead queen alates, so I wonder if some sort of culling took place. I bet they'll crank out a bunch of alate brood very soon. They are already have a big brood carpet by their water tower. You can see it in this photo, along with their lovely coloration.  I <3 Nylanderia

IMG 2210

• ConcordAntman, AntBoi3030 and m99 like this

#149 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 10 2022 - 8:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-10-22

It's still colder than a penguin's backside here in Virginia, but my Nylanderia are toasty warm indoors. The colony is already kicking off the new season with its second batch of reproductive alates. A few males eclosed last week, and I bet virgin queens are not far behind. I still need to do a thorough search to see if any of the mated queens I re-introduced into the colony last season are still around and are adding to brood production. Workers have been carrying several dead ones in the outworld, so I'm not sure. Every flat space of their nest is carpeted with brood at the moment, though. It's really refreshing to keep ants like these that really know how to get things done.

IMG 2357

• ConcordAntman, Fatatoille, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#150 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted April 10 2022 - 5:12 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Nice! My colony has around 50 workers now. Hopefully they’ll blow up in numbers soon.
  • ANTdrew likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#151 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 16 2022 - 2:37 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I caught a few Nylanderia flavipes queens yesterday, don't have much expierience with Nylanderia but they seem like a fun species to keep!

• ANTdrew and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#152 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 16 2022 - 3:34 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent. Welcome to Team Nylanderia!
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#153 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 11:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-23-2022

My Nylanderia vividula colony are now two years old, and they continue their amazing growth. They have put out hundreds of new alates for the second season in a row and stage little flights every night in their outworld. All of last year's alates were mercilessly recycled. Here is photo of queen Aslaug on a big pile of her eggs:

IMG 2964

Their outworld was getting so crowded and full of trash that I decided to make them a new one. I used a nice display case from Hobby Lobby for the purpose. My son and I hooked it up today:

IMG 2960
IMG 2961
IMG 2962

I have a couple of new queens I'm founding at the moment. One I think is Nylanderia flavipes based on the time of day I found her.

• DDD101DDD, AntBoi3030, futurebird and 1 other like this

#154 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 23 2022 - 11:09 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
This genus is pretty cool. I love how enlarged there gasters get when full. They also have amazing growth rates. I have two queens and they already have about ten workers in a month and a half. I really love these guys.232C7B6B-09E6-47BF-9DC1-A37DE01EB1B1.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan5608, July 23 2022 - 11:14 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#155 Offline futurebird - Posted July 23 2022 - 11:59 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

antdrew that's too many ants LOL OMG. 

My colony died when I was in the hospital, the water feeder burst and my poor husband didn't know how to cope... I don't blame him really he kept all the others in perfect health. But now I'm missing the tiny little girls. They are so shiny and pretty close up. 

• ANTdrew likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#156 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 23 2022 - 12:36 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Antdrew did you get nanitics the first year

Edited by Jonathan5608, July 23 2022 - 12:36 PM.

#157 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2022 - 12:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, they take five to six weeks to get nanitics. They got alates less than one year after that.

#158 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 23 2022 - 12:57 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Wow alates in less then a year. That’s crazy. How did you hibernate these guys. The whole hibernation thing I’m trying to figure out. I have a mini fridge but I feel like that would be to cold.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#159 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2022 - 1:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I keep them in an unheated basement during the winter. This species is found all the way down into Mexico, so I think they don’t strictly need it.

Edited by ANTdrew, July 23 2022 - 1:03 PM.

#160 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 23 2022 - 1:21 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
One more question, should I buy a space heater. All my colonies stay at a steady 68-74 degrees the entire year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users