• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nylanderia Notebook

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#121 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 1 2021 - 8:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Well, to find the original queen now is like some crazy, moving Where's Waldo! The only real difference between her and the new alates is that one of her bigger wings has been removed, but she still has all the rest of her wings.

• AntBoi3030 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#122 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted June 1 2021 - 8:41 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Oh wow, she still has her wings? That is a really hard wheres waldo then!

#123 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 1 2021 - 5:38 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Pics of my Nylanderia cf. kraepelini

IMG20210602093410
IMG20210602093427

• ANTdrew, Antcatcherpro3, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#124 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 1 2021 - 6:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice one!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#125 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 1 2021 - 8:56 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Nice one!

thanks. Btw if anyone can try and help ID pls do. I'm quite sure they aren't kraepelini as there are lots of invasive Nylanderia in my country. Problem is only obscurans (idk the spelling) and kraepelini are listed on antwiki.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Antcatcherpro3 likes this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#126 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted June 9 2021 - 8:39 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
My nylanderia are still at larvae D: unless they have pupae but there is really no way to tell.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#127 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted June 9 2021 - 9:40 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I think I'll have to move my Nylanderia into a new formicarium soon. Every day I see more and more workers on the surface. They are also taking in a lot of food. They might be making alates though.

#128 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2021 - 10:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 7-9-2021

I've had a lot of fun with this colony recently. They have tons of alate males, and at least 30 alate queens in their nest. The alates creep out in the evening and some of them manage to fly out of the opening in the top of their formicarium, but they haven't really staged an actual flight. Several times I've carried their whole setup outside on hot evening when I see their species flying, but nothing really happens. One night a rove beetle drawn in by my blacklight ended up in their outworld and was quickly taken down and consumed.

IMG 0114
IMG 0113
IMG 0113

I've staged an experiment. I've been aspirating up some queens and taking them outside to release. One night, I watched one get mounted by a male and fertilized. I collected her again and brought her inside. I put her back in the outworld of their setup, and the workers welcomed her back with no aggression. I'm not really sure what happened beyond that , but I did spot a dealate queen in their nest last night. This is interesting because their original queen never removed three of her wings to this day. I'm going to keep monitoring to see where this experiment leads.

• DDD101DDD, TacticalHandleGaming, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#129 Offline yaboiseth - Posted July 9 2021 - 10:46 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
This was an interesting read! As I recently caught a Nylanderia vividula queen a few weeks ago and she already has larva. Very excited to experience what you're experiencing :)

#130 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 9 2021 - 11:21 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
It would be interesting to see if they practice secondary polygyny.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#131 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 9 2021 - 12:39 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I tried to introduce an alate to my colony. It was torn into pieces.

Hopefully you have better luck!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#132 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2021 - 1:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I tried to introduce an alate to my colony. It was torn into pieces.

Hopefully you have better luck!

This queen was met with no aggression, probably because she was their sister. Time will tell if she starts contributing to the brood production.

#133 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 10 2021 - 12:42 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
My Nylanderia are strictly monogynous and only practice pleometrosis.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • ANTdrew likes this

#134 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 10 2021 - 3:50 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I caught a nylanderia queen that might be vividula! But she also could be a really fat tapinoma sessile queen lol.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#135 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 10 2021 - 4:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I caught a nylanderia queen that might be vividula! But she also could be a really fat tapinoma sessile queen lol.

Check the thorax. If it’s red, I bet you have vividula. They are extremely common.
  • Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#136 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 31 2021 - 5:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 8-31-2021

This colony continues to thrive. They are such rewarding little ants and very well behaved. They have mucked up the top of the formicarium quite a bit, though. There is a massive pile of new brood by their water tower. Either the old queen really kicked into gear again, or one of the queens I let mate outside and put back in is now contributing to the colony.

IMG 0790
IMG 0789
IMG 0788

Here is a top view of the whole setup. There is still no mold on the Perfect Cast.
IMG 0792

• Fatatoille, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 2 others like this

#137 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 31 2021 - 5:57 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I have a quick question, I’ve been findin a lot of nylanderia colony’s with alates in the past few weeks. Could this be flavipes or vividula? I’m not sure if flavipes undergoes diapause with their alates. I tried to check the thorax but they have wings and it’s hard to tell when they’re going nuts.

#138 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 31 2021 - 8:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I'm pretty sure they do overwinter their alates. Not sure what species you're seeing specifically, though.

• Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#139 Offline futurebird - Posted September 8 2021 - 1:48 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Update 4-22-2021

I don't sense much interest in this colony on here, but I'm really excited about this huge pile of alate brood that's starting to develop. They have several new males as well. I may try some ways to let the alates fly later this spring/summer.

I'm very interested since I just got this genus and I'm trying to figure them out. I've been treating them like my very healthy lasius neoniger colony. They are just so small I can hardly tell if they are eating. 

They are very cute, though... and never try to escape because I think they are so tiny they don't feel like they are captured. 

I've watched a worker "explore" the 50mm diameter "outworld" like it was on this vast expedition, even stopping to rest. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#140 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 30 2021 - 8:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 9-30-21

My original colony continues to do well. They have tons of new brood, along with all the alates they put out this spring. Every night, their outworld fills up with alates bustling about. By morning, they are back in the nest. I can still find the old queen, Aslaug, from time to time. A new food I've given these ants recently is canned cat food. As you can see from the photo, they love it!

IMG 1005

I need to clean the lid of their Antpartment somehow, so I may try if they are in deep dormancy this winter. They've stuck up a lot of crud on the acrylic.

I'm raising up a new colony to sell. They currently have about 20 workers and a good brood pile. They got set back a bit when a bunch of the first nanitics died off for some reason, but they are recovering nicely.
IMG 0992

• TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01, Chickalo and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users