• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nylanderia Notebook

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 5 2020 - 10:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They grow faster than anything I’ve ever kept just about! This is my colony’s first year. I found the queen early in June at my black-light.
  • Chickalo likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#22 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 5 2020 - 11:02 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Not even your pheidole grow as fast!?
We don’t talk about that

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 5 2020 - 1:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Not even your pheidole grow as fast!?

It’s neck and neck, but I’d say they outpace even them.
  • Ants_Dakota and Chickalo like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#24 Offline Antkid12 - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:02 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I wish I hadn’t of let my nylarandia queen go just because some people told me it was a parasitic Lasius... then once I read the identification a little later someone said it was nylarandia they are so cool and tiny! Do they grow really fast? Isn’t this their first year?

I'm pretty sure it is.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#25 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:29 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Wow I may not want to keep nylarandia until later on in my ant keeping once I have a bunch of nests spare. How big do these colony’s get?
We don’t talk about that

#26 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:42 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i don't think they get really big as the ants are really small. i could be wrong though.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 2:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think their max colony size is a couple thousand.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2020 - 6:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-9-2020

My Nylanderia vividula have really responded to the heat cable I taped on their mini-heart. They're sending out bigger feeding frenzies than ever now, like this dubia roach feast from last night:

I accidentally overfilled their water tower a tiny bit on Thursday, and they  F R E A K E D out. Half the colony rushed up to the foraging area carrying brood and truly living up to their common name, c r a z y  a n t s! I guess these ants really don't like open liquids in their nest. They calmed down after a while, though, and it gave me a good look at how big the colony really is now. They have 300-400 workers, I'd say. I'm very thankful that I was able to renew their Fluon last week to stop them.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 9 2020 - 6:36 AM.

• AntsDakota, DDD101DDD, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#29 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 9 2020 - 6:41 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Sounds like you need to upgrade these and your pheidole immediately.
We don’t talk about that

#30 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 9 2020 - 6:49 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

i hope to make a formicarium branch that makes this really easy.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#31 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 15 2020 - 8:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Photo Update 10-15-2020

This colony's growth is off the charts! I think I will hibernate them after all just to get a bit of a break and some time to get them a bigger set up.

The nest area of the mini-hearth is completely filled with brood. They're even sticking brood on the glass now.

Big feeding responses:

The Nylanderia flavipes colony I gave my brother seems to be struggling, though. They aren't showing any interest in proteins, so maybe they are just ready to hibernate. I hope they can bounce back next spring.

• AntsDakota, DDD101DDD, TechAnt and 2 others like this

#32 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 15 2020 - 8:55 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

ANTDrews small ant growth chart:

Your Monomorium: explode

Your Pheidole: EXPLODE

Your Nylanderia: EXPLODE

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota, Devi and 1 other like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#33 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 9:08 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

lol. he is just a awesome ant keeper!

• ANTdrew and Chickalo like this

#34 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted October 15 2020 - 11:39 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

We'll hey guys. My sister, back in June, caught a Nylanderia queen, and she is thriving! Here is an ok picture of them, but the test tube they're in is very moldy, so I can't get a great picture. You can see them a little in the back.

Attached Images

• ant pic.jpg

Edited by Thunder_Birds, October 15 2020 - 11:40 AM.

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#Ants4Life

#35 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 4:50 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

We'll hey guys. My sister, back in June, caught a Nylanderia queen, and she is thriving! Here is an ok picture of them, but the test tube they're in is very moldy, so I can't get a great picture. You can see them a little in the back.

use those pics you have in your journal. those are really good

• Thunder_Birds likes this

#36 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:52 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

use those pics you have in your journal. those are really good

Oh well thanks :D Will do. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 28 2020 - 6:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I was going to begin the process of putting these girls in diapause this weekend, but I discovered that a creepy, Frankenstein colored mold had grown on the floor of their foraging area. They are living in this weird fake mini-hearth that I got off eBay years ago. I don't know if that has anything to do with the mold, but it seems unhealthy for me to hibernate them in those conditions. I'll need to figure out somewhere else to move them into quick (probably some test tubes) because I don't want any die-offs like NickAnter had with his colony.

Thankfully, I haven't seen any adverse effects, but it looks really ugly. It's always something.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 28 2020 - 6:06 AM.

• Chickalo likes this

#38 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 28 2020 - 6:07 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

What does the mini hearth well fake mini hearth look like? maybe they brought food in the nest and you just can't see it because there are so many workers.

We don’t talk about that

#39 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 28 2020 - 6:09 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Ouuuu i forgot to tell you feed them some nectar or honey because a nylarandia colony in my backyard literally looks like it has repletes.

• Chickalo likes this
We don’t talk about that

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 28 2020 - 6:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

It looks just like a normal mini-hearth, but the tubing is way smaller and there is only one hole in the side. I think it is a different material, too.

I always have a byFormica feeder filled with nectar for them available, and, yes, they do swell up like micro-repletes. Their gasters look striped like a tiger.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 28 2020 - 6:20 AM.

• Chickalo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users