• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

10 year old just starting Antscanada Set

help getting started

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 28 2020 - 6:31 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Should throw away the antscanada nest, its not good for any ants and it isn't good to support him since he keeps invasive ants and releases invasives to the wild. Any pet kept indoors should NOT go outdoors and should be killed native or not, and antscanada teaches the opposite. For formicariums, you should buy a tarheel formicarium which are a ton better. Or instead make your own and you can have a project to work on with your kid.

Why should you kill natives instead of releasing them? I would understand invasives but natives? Also, the kits are like 80$, I wouldn't just throw that away.

Any indoor pet, insect, animal or otherwise that goes outdoors can spread disease and damage/destroy the ecosystem. Dogs and cats are a good example of common pets that wreck havoc, and should be killed if taken outdoors. How many dogs and cats kill wildlife even if the dog/cat is domestic, they still kill tons of animals. And for ants or anything else (like dogs/cats too as examples) as said can spread disease and parasites outdoors. Just look at covid, while it originated from a wild bat, the bat WAS captured and then sold for food and that is how it started. All pets, insect, animal etc should all be kept indoors as soon as they are caught or taken indoors in anyway. Even if a pet is kept in a container, who knows what contaminates are in that container that can spread through the ecosystem.

As for antscanada nest, that is just a formicarium designed to kill ants. I've never seen a longterm nest succeed in one.

#22 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 28 2020 - 6:43 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Should throw away the antscanada nest, its not good for any ants and it isn't good to support him since he keeps invasive ants and releases invasives to the wild. Any pet kept indoors should NOT go outdoors and should be killed native or not, and antscanada teaches the opposite. For formicariums, you should buy a tarheel formicarium which are a ton better. Or instead make your own and you can have a project to work on with your kid.

Why should you kill natives instead of releasing them? I would understand invasives but natives? Also, the kits are like 80$, I wouldn't just throw that away.
Any indoor pet, insect, animal or otherwise that goes outdoors can spread disease and damage/destroy the ecosystem. Dogs and cats are a good example of common pets that wreck havoc, and should be killed if taken outdoors. How many dogs and cats kill wildlife even if the dog/cat is domestic, they still kill tons of animals. And for ants or anything else (like dogs/cats too as examples) as said can spread disease and parasites outdoors. Just look at covid, while it originated from a wild bat, the bat WAS captured and then sold for food and that is how it started. All pets, insect, animal etc should all be kept indoors as soon as they are caught or taken indoors in anyway. Even if a pet is kept in a container, who knows what contaminates are in that container that can spread through the ecosystem.

As for antscanada nest, that is just a formicarium designed to kill ants. I've never seen a longterm nest succeed in one.
Well I don’t agree with cats being let outside but that is just cruel to say they should be killed just because they were let outside. I am honestly sickened that someone would even suggest that. I don’t think a cat killing a squirrel or bird would do much seeing as there are tons of those.
  • Manitobant and Spazmops like this

#23 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 28 2020 - 6:54 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I can’t believe you’re suggesting we kill our dogs with they want to go on a walk. That’s... inhuman. I though most ant keepers were animal lovers

• Manitobant likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 28 2020 - 6:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t take the bait. This is related to much older debates on this forum. Keep on topic, please.
  • gcsnelling, FSTP, TennesseeAnts and 4 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#25 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:00 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Natards being natards...

#26 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:00 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Well I don’t agree with cats being let outside but that is just cruel to say they should be killed just because they were let outside. I am honestly sickened that someone would even suggest that. I don’t think a cat killing a squirrel or bird would do much seeing as there are tons of those.

The problem isn't just cats and dogs killing stuff (which happens a lot), the other problem is animals in general (turtles/tortoises/lizards...any pet kept indoors) is also at risk of spreading disease to the local wildlife which damages the ecosystem. Often times peoples tortoises for example get loose and become a problem for the ecosystem, same with turtles. But these are just examples. It goes beyond just a cat or dog killing something (which is an issue but not as big as...), all these pets are also spreading disease and sicknesses, and who knows what kind of chemicals and disease or anything else that can be got indoors from all the unnaturally made things.

Edited by Vendayn, July 28 2020 - 7:02 PM.

#27 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:04 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Don’t take the bait. This is related to much older debates on this forum. Keep on topic, please.

There is no bait. Any captive pet, is spreading disease and pathogens and damaging the ecosystem. Besides all the pets that get loose and become invasive, and all the native wildlife that gets killed. Antscanada teaches that its okay to do this.

You only call it bait is because your side lost the last debate. This is for people who agree that releasing pets or pets being allowed outside is wrong and can damage the ecosystem. So I've just been repeating what they and I have been saying the whole time, that captive pets being released or going outside is wrong and also very dangerous to the ecosystem.

#28 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:10 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Natards being natards...

So you are a canadian trump supporting homophobe. Got it. The word is censored (but you can see what he means by "natard" in the link below. But its a deragatory word against gays

"redneck [censored] who shaves his head does a lot of drugs and is generally unpleasant to be around"

https://www.urbandic...php?term=natard

Edited by Vendayn, July 28 2020 - 7:14 PM.

#29 Offline Froggy - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:23 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

I disagree with this statement, you mention dogs and cats as an example of a captive animal that will kill a lot of animals if left unattended to, this statement is true, but that is only because dogs and cats have been bred into captivity for thousands of years and are no longer a part of the ecosystem, ants on the other hand (unless they are invasive), have not been bred in captivity for thousands of years and (if caught in your yard) are still a part of the ecosystem, but on the subject of pathogens, I don't really feel like an ant kept in captivity would catch a disease that would destroy an ecosystem,if there was a pathogen that would destroy an ecosystem in our house, it would be outside as well, air from outside comes in all the time, and air from inside goes out all the time, your house isn't a biosphere, and people release ant's all the time, and so far ecosystems around the world haven't collapsed in on themselves, anyways, lets just drop it and help this new antkeeper, shall we?

Edited by Froggy, July 28 2020 - 7:24 PM.

#30 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:29 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I disagree with this statement, you mention dogs and cats as an example of a captive animal that will kill a lot of animals if left unattended to, this statement is true, but that is only because dogs and cats have been bred into captivity for thousands of years and are no longer a part of the ecosystem, ants on the other hand (unless they are invasive), have not been bred in captivity for thousands of years and (if caught in your yard) are still a part of the ecosystem, but on the subject of pathogens, I don't really feel like an ant kept in captivity would catch a disease that would destroy an ecosystem,if there was a pathogen that would destroy an ecosystem in our house, it would be outside as well, air from outside comes in all the time, and air from inside goes out all the time, your house isn't a biosphere, and people release ant's all the time, and so far ecosystems around the world haven't collapsed in on themselves, anyways, lets just drop it and help this new antkeeper, shall we?

While I agree to a point.

This one is about toads

https://www.scienced...80922122427.htm

Where captive toads were reintroduced and spread disease (a fungus) which actually made the situation worse

And

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2842694/

Where fish farms actually create even deadlier disease, which if those fish were ever put in the wild would decimate the fish populations.

No study has been done on reintroducing ants, but there is no reason to not believe that captive ants can get something that evolves worse than they'd otherwise get. It happens to fish, toads and a lot of other things, so I don't see how ants could be the exception. But, I'll agree that there has been no long term study on reintroducing ants or releasing captive ants. There however been studies and two I linked found pretty quick, and found that the rule is more that disease, fungus, parasites etc, tend to get worse in captivity.

Edited by Vendayn, July 28 2020 - 7:33 PM.

#31 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 28 2020 - 8:14 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Guys. I want to mediate but someone will fire back at me and ruin this thread once again. Start a PM / thread with all that want to be included in a pointless arguing. I’d like to help this person out with beginning his hobby, and everyone here does too, this is a terrible first impression to this new antkeeper for the forum. Please stop, I hate seeing bickering like this.

(My opinion and suggestion)

Edited by TechAnt, July 28 2020 - 8:14 PM.

• Froggy and Dry_Twig like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#32 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted July 28 2020 - 8:14 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I, too, would recommend Tetramorium, as they have all an antkeeper could want, provided that they have a more refined "taste" in ants, as most on this forum do (and as your nephew probably would after a couple years keeping ants). For the setup, a Mini Hearth formicarium from Tarheel Ants is the best choice for the first couple years, as opposed to a test tube. Test tubes are great, but to a beginner who only really wants one colony, a founding formicarium is well worth the investment. The AntsCanada kit is only suited for extremely fast growing species like fire ants which need a lot of space quickly. A surprising amount of ants can actually fit into a small nest, and too much space is generally more of a problem than too little. Perhaps most importantly, I would suggest that you (or another adult) help your nephew to keep a journal of his colony on Formiculture. Forum members are very helpful (as long as you avoid touchy subjects like exotic ants), and will provide advice on antkeeping and any issues that may arise.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#33 Offline Froggy - Posted July 28 2020 - 8:15 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

While I agree to a point.

This one is about toads

https://www.scienced...80922122427.htm

Where captive toads were reintroduced and spread disease (a fungus) which actually made the situation worse

And

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2842694/

Where fish farms actually create even deadlier disease, which if those fish were ever put in the wild would decimate the fish populations.

No study has been done on reintroducing ants, but there is no reason to not believe that captive ants can get something that evolves worse than they'd otherwise get. It happens to fish, toads and a lot of other things, so I don't see how ants could be the exception. But, I'll agree that there has been no long term study on reintroducing ants or releasing captive ants. There however been studies and two I linked found pretty quick, and found that the rule is more that disease, fungus, parasites etc, tend to get worse in captivity.

You make a valid point, but both of these events where because of breeding/farming, with the frog one, the disease already existed, and, as the article states:

"The new study suggests that an endangered species of frog from South Africa, Xenopus gilli, which was housed in the same room as the Mallorcan midwife toads, was responsible for spreading the infection to them"

Which means that the disease already existed and was spread to them in captivity, and then afterwards they where released, and the disease spread in the wild, the fish on the other hand, oh boy, have you ever been to a fish farm? It's not the cleanest place, their kinda just cramped in a pool of water that is probably full of fish poop and pee, the stock trucks as well, both packed with fish, a very nice spot for a disease to evolve and spread, these fish where also bred for stock, not food or repopulation of endangered species, so they are not as regulated or watched over for diseases,  fish also get released in areas that they where not caught in, which gives the pathogen more opportunity to evolve, so until a study comes out that ants carry pathogens with the potential to destroy an ecosystem, I rest my case

Edited by Froggy, July 28 2020 - 8:16 PM.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#34 Offline Froggy - Posted July 28 2020 - 8:24 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Also, I agree, Tetramorium immigrans is a great starter species, they are very common and grow fast, I can't speak from personal experience though

#35 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 28 2020 - 8:42 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Natards being natards...
So you are a canadian trump supporting homophobe. Got it. The word is censored (but you can see what he means by "natard" in the link below. But its a deragatory word against gays

"a [/size]redneck [/size][censored] who shaves his head does a lot of drugs and is generally [/size]unpleasant to be around"[/size]

https://www.urbandic...php?term=natard
no, its a made up term for a very pro native person (native + retard)

Edited by Manitobant, July 28 2020 - 8:43 PM.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#36 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 28 2020 - 9:30 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I don’t see why it’s such a big deal to release natives back into the environment if nothing seems wrong with them. Humans are the most invasive species ever known to Earth... and yet we don’t shoot ourselves if we take one step outside. Exotics and invasives shouldn’t be kept in the first place, which is a lot of the reason why releasing captive creatures gets a bad reputation. If your going to speak of taking the lives of other creatures, then consider your own as well.

• Froggy likes this

Spoiler

#37 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 29 2020 - 6:09 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Well I keep tarantulas and a bearded dragon and my brother has two lizards and some tarantulas, but they are never out of our rooms so they are not spreading pathogens everywhere. I am not going to go as low as you Vendayn have, and suggest KILLING THEM ALL!!!

Just because someone’s tortoise got loose doesn’t mean any other tortoise keeper should kill their tortoise. Honestly Vendayn, you are sickening me.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 29 2020 - 6:11 AM.

#38 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 29 2020 - 6:24 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

As a beginner antkeeper I find tetramorium very easy to care for and fun to watch. They’ve been super easy to care for so far.

• Froggy likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#39 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 29 2020 - 6:28 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD

SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD

SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD

SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD

I AM BOYCOTTING THIS THREAD UNTIL IT IS SHUT DOWN

SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN 

SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN 

SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN

• Manitobant, Antkid12, TechAnt and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#40 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 29 2020 - 6:31 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

SHUT IT DOWN I MEAN IT

DREW MOVE THIS PLEASE

• TechAnt and Devi like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users