• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

10 year old just starting Antscanada Set

help getting started

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 29 2020 - 12:35 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Nice try at trying to get your good friend/brother/boyfriend (all good with me if he is your boyfriend, I don't judge) 

And nice try at attempting to insult your opponent instead of facing their accusation.

Try again. You still haven't said anything about Manito. You are just doing the trump strategy of putting the spotlight on someone else instead of facing the initial accusations and not admitting anything. Still are losing.

Edited by Vendayn, July 29 2020 - 12:36 PM.

#62 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 29 2020 - 12:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

He didn't say anything to harass the OP, you did. He did say 

The OP now probably thinks badly about this forum cause of the cesspool of native vs exotic and endless "praise tar heel bash AC" circlejerk. She was just asking a simple question and it devolves into this. People on both sides of the argument need to stop.

While this statement is hypocrisy as well, he's still trying to keep the peace, at least. And he never said that he wasn't involved in the whole AC Critics United campaign, he just said simply to stop. While he is wrong, we are all wrong for even posting here. You are attempting to put all the blame on him, while there's plenty to go in all directions.

Now that I've answered your charge (an answer which will most likely be ignored or flat out rejected despite answering all your charges simply because it's not what you wanted to hear), how about you return the favor?

• Manitobant likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#63 Offline to_be_announced - Posted July 29 2020 - 12:48 PM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSouth East Minnesota

tenor.gif

• TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman, AntsDakota and 3 others like this

Currently keeping Tetramorium Immigrans and Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in THA mini hearths.  I also have a couple Prenolepis Imparus queens in test tubes.

#64 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 29 2020 - 12:50 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

The OP now probably thinks badly about this forum cause of the cesspool of native vs exotic and endless "praise tar heel bash AC" circlejerk. She was just asking a simple question and it devolves into this. People on both sides of the argument need to stop.

While this statement is hypocrisy as well, he's still trying to keep the peace, at least. And he never said that he wasn't involved in the whole AC Critics United campaign, he just said simply to stop. While he is wrong, we are all wrong for even posting here. You are attempting to put all the blame on him, while there's plenty to go in all directions.

Now that I've answered your charge (an answer which will most likely be ignored or flat out rejected despite answering all your charges simply because it's not what you wanted to hear), how about you return the favor?

Well at least you answered. Suppose all are hypocrits here in some way or another at this point. I know in the past I was okay with releasing native ants, but I did my own research and realized how much can actually evolve and get worse in captivity. Like earlier in the thread my links of fish farm diseases actually getting worse than they otherwise would be, and devastating fungus in toad populations.

As for harrassing the OP, its common knowledge releasing anything is bad for the environment. Which was my actual original motive, because many new antkeepers think its okay to release ants because antscanada does it. But it goes beyond ants.

Even serafine in his post pointed it out, I'll quote part of his post

"We don't need to kill them, we just need to breed less of them and make sure the ones that ran away from their owners don't multiply like crazy.

One squirrel at a time might not look that bad but if it's millions of cats killing billions of squirrels it becomes an issue. Cats have in fact already exterminated around 50 species in total.

"[...] the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service found that free-ranging domestic cats (mostly unowned) are the top human-caused threat to wildlife in the United States, killing an estimated 1.3 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.3 to 22.3 billion mammals annually.""

Maybe my way of killing them is extreme, but the vast majority of people don't do anything about their cats and dogs not being able to breed. So I dunno how one is supposed to stop it without killing them, when a lot of people don't do anything about stopping them from breeding.

Edited by Vendayn, July 29 2020 - 12:51 PM.

#65 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 29 2020 - 12:53 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Well at least you answered. Suppose all are hypocrits here in some way or another at this point. I know in the past I was okay with releasing native ants, but I did my own research and realized how much can actually evolve and get worse in captivity. Like earlier in the thread my links of fish farm diseases actually getting worse than they otherwise would be, and devastating fungus in toad populations.

As for harrassing the OP, its common knowledge releasing anything is bad for the environment. Which was my actual original motive, because many new antkeepers think its okay to release ants because antscanada does it. But it goes beyond ants.

"We don't need to kill them, we just need to breed less of them and make sure the ones that ran away from their owners don't multiply like crazy.

One squirrel at a time might not look that bad but if it's millions of cats killing billions of squirrels it becomes an issue. Cats have in fact already exterminated around 50 species in total.

"[...] the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service found that free-ranging domestic cats (mostly unowned) are the top human-caused threat to wildlife in the United States, killing an estimated 1.3 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.3 to 22.3 billion mammals annually.""

Maybe my way of killing them is extreme, but the vast majority of people don't do anything about their cats and dogs not being able to breed. So I dunno how one is supposed to stop it without killing them, when a lot of people don't do anything about stopping them from breeding.

While I agree that releasing natives should be avoided, I do think that anything can be taken badly if worded wrong. I attempted to convince her that AC wasn't the best option out there at the beginning of this thread. You said practically the same thing, just with different wording. However, the harsh words stirred up this argument, and I'm just saying everyone needs to be a little careful with their words. 

• Vendayn likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#66 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 29 2020 - 12:57 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

While I agree that releasing natives should be avoided, I do think that anything can be taken badly if worded wrong. I attempted to convince her that AC wasn't the best option out there at the beginning of this thread. You said practically the same thing, just with different wording. However, the harsh words stirred up this argument, and I'm just saying everyone needs to be a little careful with their words. 

yeah at this point there isn't anything more to say. Kinda my intent went too far, but antscanada does teach completely the wrong things by releasing ants (invasives at that). I guess if OP likes his formicariums and his kid, more power to them.

Personally I think if they worked together to make their own they'd get more out of it and it be a parent/child bonding thing that they worked together on something. Doesn't have to be a pre-made formicarium, a lot of the fun can be making ones own formicarium.

• AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#67 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 29 2020 - 1:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

yeah at this point there isn't anything more to say. Kinda my intent went too far, but antscanada does teach completely the wrong things by releasing ants (invasives at that). I guess if OP likes his formicariums and his kid, more power to them.

Personally I think if they worked together to make their own they'd get more out of it and it be a parent/child bonding thing that they worked together on something. Doesn't have to be a pre-made formicarium, a lot of the fun can be making ones own formicarium.
I agree with everything in this post.
  • Antkid12 likes this

#68 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 29 2020 - 1:30 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Ok, so. If anybody wants to ignore me you can but:
ARE WE DONE HERE? If you want to all make a mockery out of yourselves keep arguing. If this keeps getting more and more toxic I may as well reach out to drew to shut down the thread and/or tell him that *some* of you guys are breaking forum rules (which can get you kicked off the forum), as I believe insulting and such IS breaking the rules.

Edited by TechAnt, July 29 2020 - 1:32 PM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#69 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 29 2020 - 2:07 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Wow what happened. It's literally only been one day since I last checked this thread. 3 pages in 24 hours, new record I think.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#70 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted July 29 2020 - 2:20 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

The person just wanted to know how to get some ants for their child...

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, July 29 2020 - 2:23 PM.

• FSTP, Manitobant, ArmyAntz and 3 others like this

#71 Offline Froggy - Posted July 29 2020 - 2:32 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

The person just wanted to know how to get some ants for their child...

apparently anything can turn into a war zone here, although I feel a bit guilty since I started it 

• Manitobant likes this

#72 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted July 29 2020 - 3:04 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I am glad that the beginning of the thread is pretty helpful, though.

• Froggy likes this

#73 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 29 2020 - 3:18 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I am glad that the beginning of the thread is pretty helpful, though.

Very true.

Ok, so. If anybody wants to ignore me you can but:
ARE WE DONE HERE? If you want to all make a mockery out of yourselves keep arguing. If this keeps getting more and more toxic I may as well reach out to drew to shut down the thread and/or tell him that *some* of you guys are breaking forum rules (which can get you kicked off the forum), as I believe insulting and such IS breaking the rules.

Yeah, we're done. If we weren't, we wouldn't be agreeing on something.  :lol:

#74 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 29 2020 - 3:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
One person came and derailed it. Newer members who didn’t know all the background took the bait, and here we are. Sad.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#75 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 29 2020 - 3:29 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Kinda funny how the people who asked for the thread to stop continued to argue with people of a differing opinion.

#76 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 29 2020 - 3:32 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

One person came and derailed it. Newer members who didn’t know all the background took the bait, and here we are. Sad.

My bad.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#77 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 29 2020 - 3:33 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I think I was a member during whatever occurred in the past but I was inactive so I sincerely apologize for arguing and derailing the thread.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 29 2020 - 3:33 PM.

#78 Offline Froggy - Posted July 29 2020 - 3:50 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

I'm sorry, I feel like it's mostly my fault, so I apologize, I didn't mean to cause a war zone like this, although I should have known seeing other arguments on this forum, I am truly sorry

#79 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 29 2020 - 4:06 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I'm sorry, I feel like it's mostly my fault, so I apologize, I didn't mean to cause a war zone like this, although I should have known seeing other arguments on this forum, I am truly sorry
In my eyes you didn’t cause it.

#80 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 29 2020 - 5:13 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Very disheartening.

• TennesseeAnts and ConcordAntman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users