• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Pheidole bicarinata Journal - The Phatheads

pheidole bicarinata

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#101 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 26 2020 - 7:38 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Well, the fact is they don't need to send out that many. A dozen workers is a vicious swarm in their society. They swarm the food with a dozen or so workers, then leave and let the remaining few process it until they bring it into the nest. But they get really vicious when you disturb them. Then they send 70 percent of the colony into the outworld, and it almost scares me when they decide they really want to kill me......

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#102 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 6:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-6-2020

Very few things in life fully live up to your expectations, but keeping Pheidole bicarinata has been one of them for me! These are really fun, well-behaved ants that are a joy to keep. The colony keeps growing by leaps and bounds, and they have tons of majors now - maybe even 50 or more. My current plan is to keep these going through the winter, based off advice I've received from some experienced PheidolePhenoms. To that end, I taped a heat cable to the side of their mini-hearth opposite the water tower. One issue I'm having with these girls is that I can't really refill their nestmate any more with out all holy-heck breaking loose. Nestmates aren't really the best idea for fast growing, tiny ants it seems. I just put a byFormica micro feeder filled with water instead, which isn't a big deal, but it does take up limited foraging space in their mini-hearth. I hope to get these ants a formicarium upgrade soon.

The past couple of days I've been giving them two dinners a night. The first is a piece of meat from my dinner, then I give them a feeder insect. They crush all the food!

• Boog, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#103 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 6 2020 - 6:54 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

You don't have to take the nestmate off once you have plugged the mesh with your finger and put water in and plugged it, mine never pills into my nest and all i do is open the rubber stopper and use the syringe to put a little water in. 

• DDD101DDD likes this
We don’t talk about that

#104 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 8:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Even small droplets leaking out of the mesh could be a big problem for such a tiny species.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#105 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 8:41 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Even small droplets leaking out of the mesh could be a big problem for such a tiny species.

how so? i am planning to keep lasius next year, so i want to know so i don't kill my ants.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#106 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 6 2020 - 8:48 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

It is a problem actually if you overfill the thing and put the stopper on, just make sure the stopper isn't close enough to the water to push the water, whenever i fill it up for my Pogonomyrmex it overflows so since lasius and bicanarata are so tiny they may drown. 

We don’t talk about that

#107 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 6 2020 - 10:32 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

It is a problem actually if you overfill the thing and put the stopper on, just make sure the stopper isn't close enough to the water to push the water, whenever i fill it up for my Pogonomyrmex it overflows so since lasius and bicanarata are so tiny they may drown. 

That actually hasn't been a problem for me and I've been filling mine the same way you have. The water is absorbed by the nest material so it doesn't matter that much.

• ANTdrew likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#108 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 10:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ok, I may try filling without removing it. The byFormica feeder is working fine for now, though.
  • Antkid12 likes this

#109 Offline Antkid12 - Posted October 6 2020 - 10:44 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

How many workers do they have now?

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#110 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 11:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
200-300? I can’t really count them anymore.
  • AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#111 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 6 2020 - 2:48 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

What did I do wrong? I just put mine in hibernation with 12 or so workers and barely any brood. The colony started out with three queens as you know but it is now down to one (kinda expected). I'm going to hibernate for only 2 months and heat them good right outta hibernation and feed them a baby dubia every day. Maybe they'll catch up.

• ANTdrew likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#112 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2020 - 4:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What did I do wrong? I just put mine in hibernation with 12 or so workers and barely any brood. The colony started out with three queens as you know but it is now down to one (kinda expected). I'm going to hibernate for only 2 months and heat them good right outta hibernation and feed them a baby dubia every day. Maybe they'll catch up.

Dang, hard to say, man. I feed mine like crazy (the two dinner thing) and with a lot of variety. They’re always very warm. Maybe I just lucked out with a star queen?
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

#113 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2020 - 6:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-9-2020

I figured it was time to post another crazy feeding GIF. Several hundred foragers come up now, so this colony is getting crazy big. They must be really liking their heat cable. I'll need to do another THA order next paycheck.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and DDD101DDD like this

#114 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 9 2020 - 6:16 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
It seems like you need a THA order now! Those are some crazy fast growers. I still haven’t got a tracking number for my THA order and it’s been almost 3 weeks.
We don’t talk about that

#115 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 15 2020 - 8:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-15-2020

I'm updating all my tiny ant journals today. This colony continues to grow explosively. Tons of workers are constantly up in the outworld, and I can no longer refill their nest mate because they've piled tons of brood right up against the mesh. Their fluon started failing, too, but I was able to renew it last night, thankfully. These girls will definitely need a size upgrade ASAP.

One cool development is that they are liking seeds more. I gave them some hemp hearts, and they quickly dragged them all down into the nest.

Photos are getting challenging because so many workers are even up on the glass. You can get an idea how many majors they have now, though.

IMG 8459

Edited by ANTdrew, February 10 2021 - 6:20 AM.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, Boog and 5 others like this

#116 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 15 2020 - 8:44 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Wow.

• ANTdrew and Antkid12 like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#117 Offline Antkid12 - Posted October 19 2020 - 3:16 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

that's a lot of ants!

• ANTdrew likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#118 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 19 2020 - 3:30 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Wow those majors are so cool, but soooooo TINY!!  :lol:  I had no idea they were so cute.

Tiny ants are super cute but so hard to keep contained.  :sore:

• ANTdrew and Antkid12 like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#119 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 19 2020 - 3:38 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
I plan on keeping these next year and I think I’m into small ants now.... except Pogonomyrmex I will become a master at those ants.
We don’t talk about that

#120 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 19 2020 - 3:40 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

They love fruit flys and I feed all my pheidole at least 5 fruit flys a day until they hit around 10 workers then I will give them a fruit fly for each ant.
We don’t talk about that

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole bicarinata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users