• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Grand AC discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:13 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the ants AC keeps native or existing in his country (the Philippines)? Sure, a beginner shouldn't attempt to keep Carebara diversa, but there's no reason that he shouldn't be able to keep them and make videos about them. And he has made it clear in the past he doesn't encourage keeping non-natives, so I don't see how he's encouraging the keeping of exotic ants.

Most of his popular colonies are destructive invasives. He makes these invasives look like the coolest ants on the planet, which indirectly encourages his fans to keep them. I mean, many devout fans tend to wear the same clothes, have the same hair style, walk and talk the same way as their star. Is it that far fetched that AC’s fans would want to keep the same species as he does? So, it’s not like he directly encourages keeping destructive species, but that’s how his fans take it.
I get it but you're making it sound as if he shouldn't be keeping those species, that was my point.
No, I mean he should make it more clear that people should keep native ants, which are equally as interesting as the ones he’s keeping.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#42 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:13 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the ants AC keeps native or existing in his country (the Philippines)? Sure, a beginner shouldn't attempt to keep Carebara diversa, but there's no reason that he shouldn't be able to keep them and make videos about them. And he has made it clear in the past he doesn't encourage keeping non-natives, so I don't see how he's encouraging the keeping of exotic ants.

Most of his popular colonies are destructive invasives. He makes these invasives look like the coolest ants on the planet, which indirectly encourages his fans to keep them. I mean, many devout fans tend to wear the same clothes, have the same hair style, walk and talk the same way as their star. Is it that far fetched that AC’s fans would want to keep the same species as he does? So, it’s not like he directly encourages keeping destructive species, but that’s how his fans take it.

I get it but you're making it sound as if he shouldn't be keeping those species, that was my point.

The species he keeps are invasive to his area.

For example, his Solenopsis geminata.(red means exotic to that area)

What does that prove though? RIFA are invasive to the US but are still kept by many, and it doesn't influence their level of invasiveness. 

Plus tropical species can't survive in most temperate climates, assuming a queen somehow escapes into the wild. 

#43 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

What does that prove though? RIFA are invasive to the US but are still kept by many, and it doesn't influence their level of invasiveness. 

Plus tropical species can't survive in most temperate climates, assuming a queen somehow escapes into the wild.
That’s beside my point. He’s making invasives sound much cooler than natives. That’s why many new ant keepers crave fire ants, and such.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkid12, MinigunL5 and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#44 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:16 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

No, I mean he should make it more clear that people should keep native ants, which are equally as interesting as the ones he’s keeping.

I agree but I'm not really sure how that could be done since he can't keep temperate species.

#45 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:18 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

If you're referring to Solenopsis geminata, they're native to the Southern US.

• DDD101DDD likes this

#46 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:19 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

@AntsDakota Yes but I believe most of the species he kept before were native.

#47 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I agree but I'm not really sure how that could be done since he can't keep temperate species.
No, what I mean is, he can still keep fire ants and such, he just needs to say something like, “Now, while fire ants are very interesting and fun to keep, I wholeheartedly believe that native ants found right in your own back yards are equally as fascinating to observe and keep.” People would listen to that!
  • TennesseeAnts, ArmyAntz, Froggy and 1 other like this

#48 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:21 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

If you're referring to Solenopsis geminata, they're native to the Southern US.

Well, it makes no difference to the new ant keeper. RIFAs are close enough for their tastes.

Whoops! Quote glitched......

Edited by AntsDakota, June 22 2020 - 1:21 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#49 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:22 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

I can't quote anymore, but yes I totally agree with this, I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say before. 

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#50 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:23 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

@AntsDakota, "No, what I mean is, he can still keep fire ants and such, he just needs to say something like, “Now, while fire ants are very interesting and fun to keep, I wholeheartedly believe that native ants found right in your own back yards are equally as fascinating to observe and keep.” People would listen to that"

Indeed. That is what he used to say before he became really popular.

• AntsDakota likes this

#51 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

@AntsDakota, "No, what I mean is, he can still keep fire ants and such, he just needs to say something like, “Now, while fire ants are very interesting and fun to keep, I wholeheartedly believe that native ants found right in your own back yards are equally as fascinating to observe and keep.” People would listen to that"

Indeed. That is what he used to say before he became really popular.

I know! It just frustrates me that he suddenly stopped with his coming fame. I wonder if he believes that saying this will cause his colonies to go down in popularity.

#52 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 22 2020 - 1:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
He seems to have a fuzzy view of what native means i.e. if you can find it in your area, then it’s native. He’s pretty clear against importing non-native ants like Oecophylla or something.
  • TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and MrOdontomachus like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#53 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 22 2020 - 7:39 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I mean, AC got me into the hobby. But I was determined to do my reasearch, which is how I found how AC is not a real ant keeper and a entertainer. I found Aus Ants, Formiculture, and others which taught me never to use AC as a guide. Well, his older videos are not that bad.

Same, I quickly realized how bad he was.

#54 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 22 2020 - 8:08 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I it just me, or does Mikey look like an ant? Btw, I made this on a trackpad with basic Mac photo editing.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 11.44.03 PM.png

• AntsDakota and Temperateants like this

#55 Offline Serafine - Posted June 23 2020 - 3:31 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

There's at least 561 native species on the Philippines, including genuses like Anochetus, Camponotus, Cardiocondyla, Crematogaster, Diacamma, Polyrhachis and Tetramorium.

Truth is the only species Mikey ever kept over a long time for his Youtube channel are those fast growing, super easy to care for, very resilient invasives - some of them are in fact native to his area of the planet (yellow crazy ants), most aren't (Solenopsis geminata, Monomorium pharaonis, black crazy ants).
Slow-growing, less voracious ants just seem to be too boring for his Youtube audience, as are actual tutorials - just look at the last vote he made where fire ant video won over antkeeping tutorial. Half of his audience likely doesn't even keep ants, so they have zero interest in actual educational content. They're just there for the spectacle.

• AntsMaryland, TennesseeAnts, NickAnter and 5 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#56 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 27 2020 - 9:31 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
AC just did a raid shadow legends sponsor...

And the real kicker, the video wasnt even about ants!!!
  • AntsMaryland, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 5 others like this

#57 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 27 2020 - 9:48 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

What...…...

#58 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted June 27 2020 - 9:56 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

What...…...

Just from the title, I think he's lost it.

• TennesseeAnts and Manitobant like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#59 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 27 2020 - 10:30 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I it just me, or does Mikey look like an ant? Btw, I made this on a trackpad with basic Mac photo editing.

That is cursed............ nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nonononononononono

• MrOdontomachus likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#60 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 27 2020 - 10:39 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Also on your point of "AC indirectly causes more RIFA to be kept" some anecdotal evidence is that my friend who watched antscanada wanted to raise RIFA. 

• MrOdontomachus likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users