• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Grand AC discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 21 2020 - 5:49 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Maybe Drew should make a debate section which doesn’t show up in recent posts so people can have a place to go rant if they want to and also not clog up Formiculture? Idk how hard it is to do but it’s just and idea.

Somebody make that a suggestion.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#22 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 21 2020 - 5:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Maybe Drew should make a debate section which doesn’t show up in recent posts so people can have a place to go rant if they want to and also not clog up Formiculture? Idk how hard it is to do but it’s just and idea.

He sort of does.
https://www.formicul...on-and-culture/

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#23 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 21 2020 - 5:50 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Someone: Mention AntsCanada

Me:tenor.gif?itemid=14704523

• Skwiggledork and Froggy like this

#24 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 21 2020 - 5:51 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

1. He encourages people to keep exotics.
Now I'm not going to pick sides on the very hot debate about exotic species which you are all doubtless familiar with. The problem is, he encourages NEWBIES to keep exotics. Imagine a new European antkeeper buys a carebara diversa colony (I'm using this for an example but really anything will do here)  because AC did it. The carebara immediately get loose. Then what? Even worse, he might encourage newbies in Europe to keep Solenopsis so they can have a "Fire Nation". The Fire Nation basically made his channel and S. geminata is probably the species that he talks about the most. I can 100% see a S. geminata colonization of Europe because of him.

Actually, in the past he said he supported the native side of the debate. He said this in his video about where to buy queen ants, and getting started.

Remember, IN THE PAST. But his actions show otherwise, from keeping ants that encourages viewers to buy them when they are not native. Along with releasing his colonies into the wild, which puts him basically on the exotic side. Not willing to start a argument, but I just wanted to point that out.
I don’t think he would go as far as illegally importing ants. He just hasn’t got his priorities straight. I could see if he didn’t have exotics in the first place, but then again, if he didn’t he wouldn’t have become corrupt with greed.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#25 Offline Serafine - Posted June 21 2020 - 6:18 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Like the sandbox (where this thread is likely to end up)?
  • AntsDakota likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#26 Offline Reacker - Posted June 21 2020 - 6:36 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

the topic of AC needs to be discussed

Wrong.

• Vendayn, FSTP, AntsDakota and 2 others like this

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 21 2020 - 6:56 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Wrong.
Yeah, let’s move on. Make great, informative journals. Design cool formicariums and make how to guides. Share enlightening things you learn about ants and the environment in general. We’ve discussed AC more than enough.
  • NickAnter, M_Ants, TechAnt and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 22 2020 - 4:54 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

He literally just fed snot to his ants... that is so gross and potentially dangerous

Not as gross (but antscanada video was still disgusting) as people on discord taking their "yellow rain" fetish that belongs on phub and trying to make it scientific and about ants as their excuse lol.

It's not a fetish. There are studies done about how many ant species, such as in the genus Camponotous require urea to synthesize certain amino acids. Sure, feeding them pee is WAY worse than snot, but people have used more "clean" methods like diluted urea solutions and chicken poop.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#29 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 22 2020 - 4:58 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Wrong.

The sad thing is that AC has the power to inspire new ant keepers but does nothing to teach them the basics which is why people dive headfirst into the hobby, killing multiple colonies and or wanting to start with RIFA. It's what makes miffed. I should know, I started off feeding my ants human food and judging by some ant related content on the internet my mistake wasn't even that severe compared to what some people did.

#30 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 22 2020 - 5:22 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

The sad thing is that AC has the power to inspire new ant keepers but does nothing to teach them the basics which is why people dive headfirst into the hobby, killing multiple colonies and or wanting to start with RIFA. It's what makes miffed. I should know, I started off feeding my ants human food and judging by some ant related content on the internet my mistake wasn't even that severe compared to what some people did.

Didn't he used to do tutorials? You know, back when the camera quality was terrible and he actually showed his face.

• Antkid12 likes this

#31 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 22 2020 - 5:35 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

The sad thing is that AC has the power to inspire new ant keepers but does nothing to teach them the basics which is why people dive headfirst into the hobby, killing multiple colonies and or wanting to start with RIFA. It's what makes miffed. I should know, I started off feeding my ants human food and judging by some ant related content on the internet my mistake wasn't even that severe compared to what some people did.

Didn't he used to do tutorials? You know, back when the camera quality was terrible and he actually showed his face.

I miss those vids. It would  be cool for him to revamp those with his modern 4k camera on top of update videos.

• TheMicroPlanet, Antkid12, Froggy and 1 other like this

#32 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted June 22 2020 - 5:41 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Wrong.

The sad thing is that AC has the power to inspire new ant keepers but does nothing to teach them the basics which is why people dive headfirst into the hobby, killing multiple colonies and or wanting to start with RIFA. It's what makes miffed. I should know, I started off feeding my ants human food and judging by some ant related content on the internet my mistake wasn't even that severe compared to what some people did.

Honestly they could've just googled the answer to their problems and not had that issue, it's not really AC's fault people do that.

• ANTdrew and Antkid12 like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#33 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 22 2020 - 6:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Exactly
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#34 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 22 2020 - 7:34 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
I mean, AC got me into the hobby. But I was determined to do my reasearch, which is how I found how AC is not a real ant keeper and a entertainer. I found Aus Ants, Formiculture, and others which taught me never to use AC as a guide. Well, his older videos are not that bad.
  • AntsDakota, Temperateants and Fatatoille like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#35 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 22 2020 - 9:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I mean, AC got me into the hobby. But I was determined to do my reasearch, which is how I found how AC is not a real ant keeper and a entertainer. I found Aus Ants, Formiculture, and others which taught me never to use AC as a guide. Well, his older videos are not that bad.

I, for one, used to be one of his close followers. I took every word he spoke as the truth. I wanted to have a channel just like his. However, after being on Formiculture for a while, the people here have allowed me to see just how unrealistic he often is. What pisses me off is that he is so obsessed with his channel and shop that he spends no time at all with other ant keepers, who could teach him a thing or two about the hobby.
  • Temperateants likes this

#36 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 22 2020 - 9:56 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the ants AC keeps native or existing in his country (the Philippines)? Sure, a beginner shouldn't attempt to keep Carebara diversa, but there's no reason that he shouldn't be able to keep them and make videos about them. And he has made it clear in the past he doesn't encourage keeping non-natives, so I don't see how he's encouraging the keeping of exotic ants. 

#37 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 22 2020 - 10:38 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the ants AC keeps native or existing in his country (the Philippines)? Sure, a beginner shouldn't attempt to keep Carebara diversa, but there's no reason that he shouldn't be able to keep them and make videos about them. And he has made it clear in the past he doesn't encourage keeping non-natives, so I don't see how he's encouraging the keeping of exotic ants.

Most of his popular colonies are destructive invasives. He makes these invasives look like the coolest ants on the planet, which indirectly encourages his fans to keep them. I mean, many devout fans tend to wear the same clothes, have the same hair style, walk and talk the same way as their star. Is it that far fetched that AC’s fans would want to keep the same species as he does? So, it’s not like he directly encourages keeping destructive species, but that’s how his fans take it.
  • TennesseeAnts, Temperateants, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

#38 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 22 2020 - 12:23 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMiami but soon VA

Most of his popular colonies are destructive invasives. He makes these invasives look like the coolest ants on the planet, which indirectly encourages his fans to keep them. I mean, many devout fans tend to wear the same clothes, have the same hair style, walk and talk the same way as their star. Is it that far fetched that AC’s fans would want to keep the same species as he does? So, it’s not like he directly encourages keeping destructive species, but that’s how his fans take it.

You said it much better than I did.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Froggy like this

#39 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 22 2020 - 12:41 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

I get it but you're making it sound as if he shouldn't be keeping those species, that was my point.

#40 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted June 22 2020 - 12:56 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I get it but you're making it sound as if he shouldn't be keeping those species, that was my point.

The species he keeps are invasive to his area.

For example, his Solenopsis geminata.(red means exotic to that area)

Annotation 2020 06 22 165800

Edited by DDD101DDD, June 22 2020 - 1:01 PM.

• AntsDakota and MinigunL5 like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users