• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Neivamyrmex opacithorax

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#141 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 31 2020 - 4:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The only reason I know that is from a schmaltzy inspirational video I saw at an educator’s professional development. We were told to be “the wolves of our school.” Gag.

Edited by ANTdrew, May 31 2020 - 4:36 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#142 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 31 2020 - 9:27 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ah yes, attack the students and keep their numbers in check so they don't decimate the schools limited supply of...uh...something.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#143 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 1 2020 - 1:48 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

The only reason I know that is from a schmaltzy inspirational video I saw at an educator’s professional development. We were told to be “the wolves of our school.” Gag.

I can see that as an effective image. 

#144 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:00 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Update:

Most of the larvae have pupated and foraging activity has decreased noticeably.  Tonight there is very little activity.  The colony is bivouaced with the pupae.  I do not believe the queen has laid a batch of eggs yet though I know she is physogastric. Definitely without stimuli from the larvae worker foraging has decreased 80%,

• gcsnelling and TennesseeAnts like this

#145 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:47 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Update:
Most of the larvae have pupated and foraging activity has decreased noticeably. Tonight there is very little activity. The colony is bivouaced with the pupae. I do not believe the queen has laid a batch of eggs yet though I know she is physogastric. Definitely without stimuli from the larvae worker foraging has decreased 80%,

I was able to locate the remnants of my colony, and collected them. The colony now contains 9-10k workers, and has a large stash of food brood, mostly Aphaenogaster and Tapinoma.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 2 2020 - 6:47 PM.

#146 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 3 2020 - 2:21 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Update:
Most of the larvae have pupated and foraging activity has decreased noticeably. Tonight there is very little activity. The colony is bivouaced with the pupae. I do not believe the queen has laid a batch of eggs yet though I know she is physogastric. Definitely without stimuli from the larvae worker foraging has decreased 80%,

I was able to locate the remnants of my colony, and collected them. The colony now contains 9-10k workers, and has a large stash of food brood, mostly Aphaenogaster and Tapinoma.

Well that is good to hear. Surprised they made it on their own without brood or queen. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#147 Offline Canadant - Posted June 3 2020 - 4:45 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
This is an awesome journal. Great research, discussion and attention to detail. I wish you all the best with your master's. I also wish I had this genera in my neck of the woods up north. So cool.

Looks like you're about to be eyeball deep in ants in the coming weeks. Best of luck with your research. I'm going to follow this journal.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#148 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 3 2020 - 5:41 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

This is an awesome journal. Great research, discussion and attention to detail. I wish you all the best with your master's. I also wish I had this genera in my neck of the woods up north. So cool.

Looks like you're about to be eyeball deep in ants in the coming weeks. Best of luck with your research. I'm going to follow this journal.

Thank you Canadant!! Good to hear positive feedback and support.  Fortunately I have almost completed my transects of East Tennessee for my research sampling....12-14 hour days for the past 10 days!!  I will now only have to focus on Mount Mitchell in North Carolina and the two peaks in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Mt. Le Conte and Clingmans Dome!!!

#149 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 3 2020 - 8:28 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Thank you Canadant!! Good to hear positive feedback and support.  Fortunately I have almost completed my transects of East Tennessee for my research sampling....12-14 hour days for the past 10 days!!  I will now only have to focus on Mount Mitchell in North Carolina and the two peaks in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Mt. Le Conte and Clingmans Dome!!!

Wow. That's crazy! I wish you luck with the collections!

#150 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 3 2020 - 9:22 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Update:

All first batch larvae have pupated and there is a second batch of eggs.   I was not sure if eggs were laid but was able to confirm. 

#151 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 4 2020 - 7:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update:
All first batch larvae have pupated and there is a second batch of eggs.   I was not sure if eggs were laid but was able to confirm.

Mine too, have more eggs. It seems as though the pupae should eclose this week, too.

#152 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 4 2020 - 11:15 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Update:

Mine too, have more eggs. It seems as though the pupae should eclose this week, too.

Well they will darken just before eclosing.

#153 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 9 2020 - 6:16 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Update:

I am not seeing any overall benefits of the predatory mites.  I am now going to my second choice: Oxalic Acid treatment. I have been looking into this as a possible treatment.  https://www.honeybee...dead effective.   Here is the original pdf on the treatment method: http://scientificbee...-Taktic-pdf.pdf

I am not sure how this will go.  I will follow the protocols of this website and place a few workers in a separate Petri dish with a small sample of the treatment to see how they respond and the effects on mites.  If all goes well   I will modify by placing small strips of treated towel where the workers will come in contact or be in proximity to them.  There is the possibility that the treatment will kill brood, though honey bee larvae in all developmental stages are not harmed. 

I am also giving Dr. Bernard some workers today where he will try to culture the mites to determine their genus and hopefully species. 

If this second method does not kill the colony and the mite issue is not resolved then I am going to release the colony.  

Edited by PurdueEntomology, June 9 2020 - 6:56 PM.

• gcsnelling and Canadant like this

#154 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 10 2020 - 6:49 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I have gotten all my ingredients for the oxalic acid treatment.  I will begin applying today and monitoring the colony.  

#155 Offline Canadant - Posted June 10 2020 - 7:23 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Best of luck.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#156 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 10 2020 - 7:36 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Best of luck.

Thanks, Canadant. When I took the live ants to Dr. Bernard yesterday he mentioned that in keeping their millipedes there was always a mite issue  and it seems to be a consistent problem in laboratory and housed arthropods.  He advised that if they are not causing any evident debilitating effects not to worry.  I however am now seeing this as more than keeping this colony going it is about finding a possible stop gap in helping to control mite infestations in laboratory/housed conditions.  I am sure the outcome will offer beneficial knowledge regarding this perennial issue. 

Edited by PurdueEntomology, June 10 2020 - 7:37 AM.

#157 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 10 2020 - 10:44 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I have made the mixture as per the above links. I took 7 workers in a Petri dish and put in three small strips of the soaked paper towel.  In less than an hour mites are falling off!!!!!!  The ants are showing no adverse effects.  I will leave them in now for 24 hours and see the outcome.  

• gcsnelling, Canadant, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

#158 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 10 2020 - 11:39 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

It has been about 1.5 hours since placing test ants with soaked paper towel pieces and almost all the mites are off the ants and hopefully dead!!!  Ants are doing fine.  I may have to time the application more rigorously and reduce the amount of oxalic acid to which they are exposed. 

Edited by PurdueEntomology, June 10 2020 - 12:56 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#159 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 10 2020 - 11:46 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wonderful!

#160 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 10 2020 - 12:51 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

...but now the ants are showing effects.  This may be toxic to the ants.  I have removed them from the Petri dish, all the mites are off the ants.  Now I will see how the ants do.  I have taken another sample of ants and exposing them to a small piece of soaked paper towel.  The ants will have exposure but will have less direct contact. I will also keep regular observations and note when first mites fall off.

Edited by PurdueEntomology, June 10 2020 - 1:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users