• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Neivamyrmex opacithorax

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#181 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 16 2020 - 6:36 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I honestly hope to try keeping neivamyrmex or any army ant someday, but right now i am fine with slave makers.
Colony wish list:

Lasius latipes
Temnothorax pilagens
Temnothorax Americanus
Myrmica semiparasitica
Any formica microgyna group sp.

#182 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 21 2020 - 2:02 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN

I honestly hope to try keeping neivamyrmex or any army ant someday, but right now i am fine with slave makers.

Personally, after this 2nd round I think overall they are not a genus to be containerized save for short term behavioral studies.

• gcsnelling and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#183 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 24 2020 - 2:23 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN

I will definitely be releasing the colony tomorrow!!  I have isolated the queenqueen with a number of workers to make sure I know she is okay.  I will take the container and open the attachment points and place a small tube to touch the ground and just allow them to move out on their own.

• gcsnelling and Ant_Dude2908 like this

#184 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 24 2020 - 6:16 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Good to know they survived  :)

#185 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 6:20 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

And how would you go about getting your hands on some?
"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV versionCurrently Keeping: Aphaenogaster picea, Aphaenogaster rudis, Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Formica subsericea, Lasius americanus, Lasius aphidicola, Myrmica sp., Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, Ponera pennsylvanica ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________My Journal__________________________________________________________________________________________<p>Attention South Dakotans! Join us on The SoDAK (Society of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#186 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 25 2020 - 6:51 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

if you can find a colony via tracing a trail, its relatively simple to find a colony nesting close to the surface and simply collect them while dumping them into a fluon lined bin.

#187 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 6:58 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

if you can find a colony via tracing a trail, its relatively simple to find a colony nesting close to the surface and simply collect them while dumping them into a fluon lined bin.
In Canada, I mean.
"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV versionCurrently Keeping: Aphaenogaster picea, Aphaenogaster rudis, Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Formica subsericea, Lasius americanus, Lasius aphidicola, Myrmica sp., Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, Ponera pennsylvanica ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________My Journal__________________________________________________________________________________________<p>Attention South Dakotans! Join us on The SoDAK (Society of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users