• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Neivamyrmex opacithorax

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#101 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 25 2020 - 12:42 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Agreed bad parrallel. My point point was more on the impact of there surroundings. Tapinoma at least The ones I witness here in Arkansas are very oppertunistic about Nesting sites and are more of a scavenger and They don't appear to affect anything at least not in a detrimental way. In other words there presence or lack there of does not constitute any major change in the surrounding area. And if I interpreted what You said correctly, Neivamyrmex at least the Species I have witnessed (Opacithorax and Nigrescens) don't appear much different in that account. Basically I don't think They are a Keystone Species. They are Important and do Play a roll. But where I am at. They ecosystems that They are absent from don't appear to be in distress.
I hope I conveyed My point correctly.
I am not trying to be rude or opposing in anyway. Just spreading My knowledge

Lets make this really plain and simple. Just because you don't see what you deem to be "major" or significant impact does not mean that it is not occurring, all that means is that we lack the understanding to recognize it. So much of the habitat in the state where Mother Nature Goes To Die is so degraded and fragmented that many normal behaviors of Neivamyrmex and other species are likely to be out of whack anyway. However I can not argue that Tapinoma, like the human inhabitants there are very opportunistic and will set up house keeping pretty much anywhere they see fit. Tapinoma are very good at excluding other species from resources and nesting sites, there are few species which can even remotely compete with them in such disturbed habitats. Like Linepithema on the west coast, Tapinoma is a major pest species in Arkansux.

Think "Facultative Invasive Species Complex"

Good point, I have always been the first to admit that Tapinoma  is almost certainly a complex.

Gordon, do you have a chart or data of Neivamyrmex sp with regards of life cycle time frames i.e., days from laying to hatching, larval period duration till pupation, pupation to eclosion?  

• Squidkid likes this

#102 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 25 2020 - 4:58 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Agreed bad parrallel. My point point was more on the impact of there surroundings. Tapinoma at least The ones I witness here in Arkansas are very oppertunistic about Nesting sites and are more of a scavenger and They don't appear to affect anything at least not in a detrimental way. In other words there presence or lack there of does not constitute any major change in the surrounding area. And if I interpreted what You said correctly, Neivamyrmex at least the Species I have witnessed (Opacithorax and Nigrescens) don't appear much different in that account. Basically I don't think They are a Keystone Species. They are Important and do Play a roll. But where I am at. They ecosystems that They are absent from don't appear to be in distress.
I hope I conveyed My point correctly.
I am not trying to be rude or opposing in anyway. Just spreading My knowledge

Lets make this really plain and simple. Just because you don't see what you deem to be "major" or significant impact does not mean that it is not occurring, all that means is that we lack the understanding to recognize it. So much of the habitat in the state where Mother Nature Goes To Die is so degraded and fragmented that many normal behaviors of Neivamyrmex and other species are likely to be out of whack anyway. However I can not argue that Tapinoma, like the human inhabitants there are very opportunistic and will set up house keeping pretty much anywhere they see fit. Tapinoma are very good at excluding other species from resources and nesting sites, there are few species which can even remotely compete with them in such disturbed habitats. Like Linepithema on the west coast, Tapinoma is a major pest species in Arkansux.

Think "Facultative Invasive Species Complex"

Good point, I have always been the first to admit that Tapinoma  is almost certainly a complex.

Gordon, do you have a chart or data of Neivamyrmex sp with regards of life cycle time frames i.e., days from laying to hatching, larval period duration till pupation, pupation to eclosion?  

I am not sure such a thing exists, if it does I am unaware of it. You might try Topoff 1980 and 1984 though.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#103 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 25 2020 - 4:28 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

So as can be seen from this image there are ectoparasitic ( I believe) mites on the ants.  Now I will receive a shipment of predatory mites in a day or two.  I will put those in the Container A housing the main colony with brood.  I will monitor this situation, though I am not exactly hopeful what can be done.  The colony though has not had any die offs and does not show any behavior that I would call "unusual" or "suspect", but I will see how far I can take them.  It is possible the ectoparasites were on fire ants but it is possible the colony was already infested.  My son used Canon MPE 65 mm lens with a Canon EOS Rebel XT for this photo a regular flash.  Any ADVICE my friends??????

Ectoparasitic Mites on Neiv. opal.

Edited by PurdueEntomology, May 25 2020 - 4:32 PM.

• gcsnelling, Canadant, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

#104 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 25 2020 - 4:38 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Super picture.

#105 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 25 2020 - 4:44 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Super picture.

Any advice about the mites????  (Thanks for the complement on the photo)

Edited by PurdueEntomology, May 25 2020 - 4:44 PM.

#106 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 25 2020 - 4:55 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I ordered:  Straiolaelaps scimitar (Hypoaspis miles)

#107 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 25 2020 - 5:53 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I suspect the mites on  the ants are not an issue (at least not normally) and more than likely were there when the colony was collected. In a closed environment it may be that they will multiply to point of being a problem.

Edited by gcsnelling, May 25 2020 - 5:55 PM.

#108 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 25 2020 - 6:11 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I suspect the mites on  the ants are not an issue (at least not normally) and more than likely were there when the colony was collected. In a closed environment it may be that they will multiply to point of being a problem.

Yes I am thinking along the same lines.    Well for now I will see about these predatory mites, I will give it a shot and then if I do not observe significant changes then I will just release the colony. 

Yes I am thinking along the same lines.    Well for now I will see about these predatory mites, I will give it a shot and then if I do not observe significant changes then I will just release the colony.  At least I have given it a good run to date and the colony is doing very well.  

Edited by PurdueEntomology, May 25 2020 - 6:12 PM.

#109 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 25 2020 - 6:58 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I checked the larvae and found no mites on them, which is a good sign.  Also I saw the queen who is physogastric again!! that means we will be getting a second batch of eggs as the current batch of larvae phase into pupal stage!!!  So far so good.  Despite the presence of mites which could be phoretic in nature and not parasitic, but still have to see that.  But having seen that the queen is physogastric is a great sign as that means she has not been disturbed in any manner to keep her from entering into a "natural" cycle of egg laying, so far!!!

• VenomousBeast likes this

#110 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 25 2020 - 7:02 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
The Colony I had a while back had Mites but I did not witness any on Them, Does not mean They weren't there though. If I remember correctly one of the Websites i checked out had different Species of Predatory Mites. Might try another if this one does Not work. Just a thought. I don't know a lot about Mites. As far as Health goes. I would stay the course You are on. What was the estimated amount of Ants You had in this Colony?

#111 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 25 2020 - 7:02 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
The Colony I had a while back had Mites but I did not witness any on Them, Does not mean They weren't there though. If I remember correctly one of the Websites i checked out had different Species of Predatory Mites. Might try another if this one does Not work. Just a thought. I don't know a lot about Mites. As far as Health goes. I would stay the course You are on. What was the estimated amount of Ants You had in this Colony?

#112 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 26 2020 - 10:34 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I will be taking in a few ants to Dr. Ernest Bernard in our department on Friday.  He is the  best person with mites I have direct access to even though his expertise is in nematodes. We will try to see if these are parasitic or phoretic.  I am also expecting my shipment of predatory mites in today.  I had my first field day out yesterday collecting Tapinoma sessile.  Left home at 8 am and did not get back to campus till 8:45pm...today I do it again!!  The larvae are definitely maturing with varying sizes.  That's the latest update.

Edited by PurdueEntomology, May 26 2020 - 11:42 PM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#113 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 27 2020 - 12:24 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I plan after reading much on this issue to "quarantine" my colony.  Since every night after foraging all workers return to the bivouac. As mentioned the colony has not moved from the nest location in Container A since day one.  I believe that is simply because there was such an abundance of food that the colony did not "need" to emigrate.  I will therefore quarantine the colony in Container A.  I will reduce surface moisture ie no misting and just apply water as usual to the container so as to allow a moist layer underneath the ants thus affording them humidity.  I will introduce the predatory mites and keep the colony quarantined and monitored for a week.  Since the larvae are soon to begin to pupate and the queen is physogastric food needs will be reduced and the colony will be fine to stay put ie, no chemical cues to emigrate.  I hope this works.  To be honest, this is a very easy species to keep, so far.  Now that there is a daily routine of feeding, I feel more confident with regards  the quantities necessary for colony daily caloric needs.  The current set up seems agreeable to the ants despite containerization being most likely as per Dr. Snellings comment from above in these posts "In a closed environment it may be that they will multiply to point of being a problem" if the predatory mite approach deals with the problem and I cannot but introduce Solenopsis invicta brood/few adult ants as food and as possible (most likely) sources of new mite infestations, then perhaps cycles of quarantine and predatory mite infusions may be the route.  As for the other containers, I will disconnect them obviously and sterilize the media by baking it at 350F for 30 minutes;  I will purchase more of the ceramic reptile fake tree bark and sanitize them with alcohol and use them accordingly as bivouac space.   The upshot, to apply work to keep colony healthy and as long as possible. If within the month of June it seems my efforts are not fruitful then I will release the colony and mark this venture as a success since so far it has been amazingly successful, more than I thought. 

Edited by PurdueEntomology, May 27 2020 - 3:14 AM.

• gcsnelling and VenomousBeast like this

#114 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 27 2020 - 4:36 AM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Very Well planned. If the Mites prove effective, will You attempt Longer. What would be a good indication of something wrong by Your standards. Die off or Queen skipping a cycle?

#115 Offline madbiologist - Posted May 27 2020 - 8:58 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I will be taking in a few ants to Dr. Ernest Bernard in our department on Friday. He is the best person with mites I have direct access to even though his expertise is in nematodes. We will try to see if these are parasitic or phoretic. I am also expecting my shipment of predatory mites in today. I had my first field day out yesterday collecting Tapinoma sessile. Left home at 8 am and did not get back to campus till 8:45pm...today I do it again!! The larvae are definitely maturing with varying sizes. That's the latest update.

Not to derail the topic, but what are you studying about sessile? Are you looking to split the complex up?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#116 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 27 2020 - 11:19 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Very Well planned. If the Mites prove effective, will You attempt Longer. What would be a good indication of something wrong by Your standards. Die off or Queen skipping a cycle?

A mass die off would certainly be an indication of trouble as would a loss of queen. I am considering that for best results are certain amount of good ventilation is necessary for these ants. I suspect in poorly ventilated environments the build up of Skatol and others compounds ultimately will prove fatal.

#117 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 27 2020 - 1:33 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

A mass die off would certainly be an indication of trouble as would a loss of queen. I am considering that for best results are certain amount of good ventilation is necessary for these ants. I suspect in poorly ventilated environments the build up of Skatol and others compounds ultimately will prove fatal.
That is a good Idea Thank You for that tidbit. Do You Think a regular change out of Substrate would be beneficial. I mean if a setup that allows migration, and You changed the previous Nest sites Substrate to keep it fresh and clean. I wonder if that could help and even benefit. It could entice them back to "old" grounds so to speak. And that could keep a good contained cycle.
If that makes sense

#118 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 27 2020 - 2:14 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I see no reason at least a partial substrate change would be harmful. Removal of the older substrate should help prevent the build up harmful pathogens and parasites.

• PurdueEntomology likes this

#119 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 27 2020 - 3:57 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Excellent. Thank You.

#120 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 27 2020 - 4:04 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I will be taking in a few ants to Dr. Ernest Bernard in our department on Friday. He is the best person with mites I have direct access to even though his expertise is in nematodes. We will try to see if these are parasitic or phoretic. I am also expecting my shipment of predatory mites in today. I had my first field day out yesterday collecting Tapinoma sessile. Left home at 8 am and did not get back to campus till 8:45pm...today I do it again!! The larvae are definitely maturing with varying sizes. That's the latest update.

Not to derail the topic, but what are you studying about sessile? Are you looking to split the complex up?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We are exploring whether or not what we know as T. sessile is actually a cryptic species complex, that is 2 or more species that fundamentally look the same morphologically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users