• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Whoa this sucks: "Murder hornet" arrives in North America

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 3 2020 - 9:48 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I may be crazy, but it looks like it would be a fun species to keep. I know many people who keep wasps, even vespula

I just caught a European Hornet queen yesterday. I intend on raising a colony. Right now she's in a large critter crawler with a smaller container inside that's lined with cardboard. I gave her various pieces of soft wood, and honey to drink. Fingers crossed!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#22 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 10:16 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

don't kill me but mandarin hornets probably won't be too big of a deal imo.

why do you say that?

I truly can't see any negative effects besides potential harm to beekeepers, and even then the predation on honeybees is a boon to native bees. Just as an example, bumblebee populations are rapidly dying out due to a number of reasons, one of those being wild honeybees. Stings are simply painful, nests are easy to destroy, death from a sting is rare and honestly just as reasonable and rare as death from a bee sting. While it certainly is somewhat harmful to local businesses and can cause some discomfort to the people I just see them as a competitor to the invasive honeybees.

Can you share your source about feral honeybee populations harming native polinators?  I have never herad that claim made before.  TIA.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#23 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 3 2020 - 10:39 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I know a beekeeper, and if these hornets got into his hives, it would ruin his career. 

• BugFinder and AntsDakota like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#24 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 3 2020 - 11:40 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I don't think this should be treated lightly. While honeybees are invasive, they provide jobs for about 125,000 people. And, they may kill people who are allergic. Its not like they are non-aggressive. If that were the case, they would not be a problem. If they are allowed to get a foothold, it could potentially ruin the lives of many people, and people would be less likely to go on outdoors activities, reducing sales in outdoor industries.This would result in a further loss in jobs. The also will not stop at invasives. I would almost be willing to bet they would go for natives as well.

that's just my two cents though. And I'm naturally biased against Vespines. But, I still don't think it is just something to shrug off. Would you want to go outside and be met with a hornet that will leave you in severe pain for hours?

I just don't like them because

1. They spread disease to native bees

2. They take more honey then they need (can someone corroborate that? It seems reasonable for an economically viable bug who makes honey)

3. They are really overrated. Everyone always peddles the environmental BS "wE nEeD bEeS" and talking about how honey bees are dying but these people really do not have a good understanding of the NA ecosystem and bees in general. Pollinating species of wasp, beetles and ants exist people! Also natives, solitary bees are underrated.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#25 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 11:57 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I don't think this should be treated lightly. While honeybees are invasive, they provide jobs for about 125,000 people. And, they may kill people who are allergic. Its not like they are non-aggressive. If that were the case, they would not be a problem. If they are allowed to get a foothold, it could potentially ruin the lives of many people, and people would be less likely to go on outdoors activities, reducing sales in outdoor industries.This would result in a further loss in jobs. The also will not stop at invasives. I would almost be willing to bet they would go for natives as well.

that's just my two cents though. And I'm naturally biased against Vespines. But, I still don't think it is just something to shrug off. Would you want to go outside and be met with a hornet that will leave you in severe pain for hours?

I just don't like them because

1. They spread disease to native bees

2. They take more honey then they need (can someone corroborate that? It seems reasonable for an economically viable bug who makes honey)

3. They are really overrated. Everyone always peddles the environmental BS "wE nEeD bEeS" and talking about how honey bees are dying but these people really do not have a good understanding of the NA ecosystem and bees in general. Pollinating species of wasp, beetles and ants exist people! Also natives, solitary bees are underrated.

When you say "I don't like them" I'm interpreting you mean you don't like European Honey Bees.  Is that correct?   Do you mean feral honey bees, farmed honey bees, or both?

What do you mean "they take more honey than they need"?  Do you mean honeybees or the wasp that kills them?  I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Your point about people not really understanding the honeybee, and proclaiming it to be necessary to be saved to protect the envioronment is solid.  People who make about North America that claim know little about bees, or the ecosystem.

The honey bee is in no danger of extinction.  Some of our native pollinators are.  That being said, if you know specific damage to the ecosystem that is caused by the honey bee I'd like to learn more about that.   As far as I know native pollinators are threated by loss of habitat, and pollution, but not by the honey bee..  

• Temperateants likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#26 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 3 2020 - 12:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

And, if all the honeybees all of a sudden did die, its not like they would be replaced immediately. It would take time, and there are not many insects that are anywhere near as effective as they are.

• BugFinder and AntsDakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#27 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 3 2020 - 12:31 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I mean commercial ones that are shipped around to cause disease and ones that outcompete native bees. They are protected, encouraged to breed, and are put into massive clumps. Surely this leaves less honey for natives? I didn't have a source, so take this with a grain of salt. 

not really what your looking for but https://www.newsweek...-notice-1232793

Edited by Temperateants, May 3 2020 - 12:36 PM.

#28 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 3 2020 - 12:33 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

And, if all the honeybees all of a sudden did die, its not like they would be replaced immediately. It would take time, and there are not many insects that are anywhere near as effective as they are.

Well, we sort of dug our own hole, but we could try to breed bumble bees? Or encourage solitary bee houses.

#29 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 3 2020 - 12:39 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

https://www.frontier...2019.00060/full just one of a few examples.

Thing is that will not happen. A gradual decrease is most likely.

• BugFinder and TennesseeAnts like this

#30 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 3 2020 - 12:40 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

https://journals.plo...al.pone.0189268 much more in depth one.

#31 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 1:15 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Well, we sort of dug our own hole, but we could try to breed bumble bees? Or encourage solitary bee houses.

Many people all over the country already creates pollinantor habitat in their yards and solitary bee houses already.   I really don't think honey bees are the problem to non social pollinator popuolations declining.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#32 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 1:17 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

That paper talks about wild bees and managed bees, I think they are only talking about honeybees, not other kinds of bees.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#33 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 3 2020 - 6:05 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

The abstract specifically states native wild bees.

#34 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 3 2020 - 8:08 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That paper talks about wild bees and managed bees, I think they are only talking about honeybees, not other kinds of bees.

Wild bees being native ones... third sentence states "native wild bees"

• BugFinder likes this

#35 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 3 2020 - 8:20 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Well, I guess the Vespa crabro might finally have some worthy competitors soon...

#36 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:28 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Those hornets are just giant ants that can sting and fly. Change my mind.

• FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

#37 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:36 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Most wasps don't have constricted petioles like ants.

• Temperateants likes this

#38 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:47 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Many ants sting too.......... many species also are more venomous and painful.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#39 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 4 2020 - 7:10 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Anatomical differences don't matter to someone unaware of them. To the common person they will just be another species of hornet, simply a larger and scarier version of the Vespa we have here. No matter how big or destructive pretty much all wasps will be hated by people for what appears to be unbridled hostility and a painful sting. Even if they lack the qualities that make wasps so hated by people, say potter wasps or cicada killers, they will still bear the reputation of their relatives.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#40 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 4 2020 - 7:26 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Anatomical differences don't matter to someone unaware of them. To the common person they will just be another species of hornet, simply a larger and scarier version of the Vespa we have here. No matter how big or destructive pretty much all wasps will be hated by people for what appears to be unbridled hostility and a painful sting. Even if they lack the qualities that make wasps so hated by people, say potter wasps or cicada killers, they will still bear the reputation of their relatives.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I fail to see the connection with your comment and mine, and why mine was taken in such seriousness. It didn't appear to me that Temperateants was being completely serious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users