• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Whoa this sucks: "Murder hornet" arrives in North America

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 4 2020 - 7:33 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Those hornets are just giant ants that can sting and fly. Change my mind.

Most wasps don't have constricted petioles like ants.

Anatomical differences don't matter to someone unaware of them. To the common person they will just be another species of hornet, simply a larger and scarier version of the Vespa we have here. No matter how big or destructive pretty much all wasps will be hated by people for what appears to be unbridled hostility and a painful sting. Even if they lack the qualities that make wasps so hated by people, say potter wasps or cicada killers, they will still bear the reputation of their relatives.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I fail to see the connection with your comment and mine, and why mine was taken in such seriousness. It didn't appear to me that Temperateants was being completely serious.

Yeah I know. Just thought it was somewhat relevant, being that wasps will always be hated no matter what they are.

#42 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 4 2020 - 7:35 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Poor, misunderstood things (meanwhile, I still freak out if any get within 3 feet of me)

• NickAnter and AntsDakota like this

#43 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 4 2020 - 8:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I like them, but I just don't like the thought of being stung. So basically,  I respect them by keeping my distance. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#44 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 4 2020 - 8:16 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Poor, misunderstood things (meanwhile, I still freak out if any get within 3 feet of me)

I have the same reaction haha. And because of it, I have never been stung by anything.

• AntsDakota and TheMicroPlanet like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#45 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 4 2020 - 11:40 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I always assumed people get stung by doing something stupid, but are wasps that mean? I don't think they are.

• AntsDakota likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#46 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 4 2020 - 11:48 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Its mostly mental for me. I know they probably won't sting me. Its really a bit of a phobia to me.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#47 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 4 2020 - 11:49 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I'm pretty sure that these hornets are that mean though.

• AntsDakota likes this

#48 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 4 2020 - 11:49 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

It would kinda suck to be attacked by a colony of these, but overall it seems like the only thing they pose a threat to is the bee industry. Our native bees will probably quite enjoy their presence.

• gcsnelling, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#49 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:01 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nope.

• BugFinder and TennesseeAnts like this

#50 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:02 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I always assumed people get stung by doing something stupid, but are wasps that mean? I don't think they are.

Nope #2

#51 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:30 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I had no idea "murder wasps" would become the laughingstock of American social media, or else I might not have even posted the article. Glad at least here in this forum it's discussed more in terms of the world of insects than the world of politics.

Anyway I posted a semi-followup in the Bees General section, about how Asian honeybees have a defense that European honeybees do not.

https://www.formicul...ornet/?p=145001

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#52 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 4 2020 - 5:31 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Its mostly mental for me. I know they probably won't sting me. Its really a bit of a phobia to me.

Yeah. Today when I was working with my Pogonomyrmex, a few workers crawled on my hands, and I didn't get stung once, because I was diligent in brushing them off right away. The only way you're going to get stung by anything is acting threatening AND being in VERY close proximity to the individual/colony.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#53 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted May 5 2020 - 4:58 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

IMO these were intentionally released to harm agriculture in the USA to further damage our economy.

If these spread our only defense is importing the japanese honeybee-  I'm sure most of you know this already, but the european honeybee has no defense against this wasp.  The JAPANESE honeybee, however, clusters on scouts and furiously buzz to cook the wasp before it can mark the beehive.  These will decimate native bees too.  they are bad bad news.  will attack other animals too, these guys will prey on birds, mice, lizards, any kind of meat they can find.  VERY bad invasive.

#54 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted May 5 2020 - 5:04 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Nope #2

Yes they are.  People in japan are terrified of them.  They blast you with a pheromone spray and it alerts the rest of them and they will single you out and chase you.  HORNETS man, cmon now.  they're legendary for their aggression.  Otherwise Beedrill wouldn't be in pokemon lol

Nope.

They are fierce in protecting their nest.  Way meaner than the european hornet.  I saw video of some spraying a dude with pheromones to mark him for death, basically.  to my knowledge the japanese giant hornet is the same species and is infamous for seriously injuring beekeepers.

#55 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 5 2020 - 6:09 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

If we get rid of the european bees, then we can start over with the japanese bees and set more stringent regulations. Also, are there native bee breeding programs?

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#56 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted May 5 2020 - 7:07 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

I'm confused, is the murder hornet the same thing as the Japanese Giant Hornet? If so then it will be a huge problem here, those things are massive and deadly, and very aggressive. 

#57 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 5 2020 - 7:18 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I'm confused, is the murder hornet the same thing as the Japanese Giant Hornet? If so then it will be a huge problem here, those things are massive and deadly, and very aggressive. 

yup same thing... 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#58 Offline Serafine - Posted May 5 2020 - 7:20 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

It's the japanese giant hornet. The "murder hornet" name is just the usual american media fearmongering/dramatization because apparently just calling it asian giant hornet isn't enough to get people to panic-buy/panic-click.

Fear sells (that's basically US mainstream media in a nutshell).

• gcsnelling and TennesseeAnts like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#59 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted May 5 2020 - 7:26 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Fear sells (that's basically US mainstream media in a nutshell).

Sounds about right lol

#60 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 5 2020 - 7:50 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nope #2

Yes they are.  People in japan are terrified of them.  They blast you with a pheromone spray and it alerts the rest of them and they will single you out and chase you.  HORNETS man, cmon now.  they're legendary for their aggression.  Otherwise Beedrill wouldn't be in pokemon lol

Nope.

They are fierce in protecting their nest.  Way meaner than the european hornet.  I saw video of some spraying a dude with pheromones to mark him for death, basically.  to my knowledge the japanese giant hornet is the same species and is infamous for seriously injuring beekeepers.

:lol: Yeah, no. Hornets will only turn aggressive if the individual or the nest feels threatened. They're legendary and people are definitely scared of them, but there are people scared of cockroaches and mice as well. Phobias without much reason besides small personal experiences and social culture influence. We're taught by others at a young age to fear some animals and not others. As for the pheromone spraying, literally every single eusocial wasp does, but only when the nest is threatened. Heck if you bond with the wasps they will leave you alone even if in close proximity with the nest, though that would be a very impressive feat with such territorial hornets as these. Seriously injuring beekeepers? Bees are also known to do so and there are many reports of bees killing people. So from the track record bees are deadlier than these. I'm also pretty sure they attacked the beekeeper because they tried to interfere with the wasps or outright destroy them.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users