• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How is COVID-19 Affecting You?

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#141 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 20 2020 - 7:17 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

5861 new case in one day in the U.S. Only shows how many people had it without showing any symptom. New study says if you got diarrhea, it's a good indication you may test positive for covid19, and this symptom occurs before any respiratory problems occur. Keep checking your feces guys.

That percentage is tiny compared to the population of the U.S.
About the diarrhea, what if I just ate at Taco bell?
  • NickAnter, zantezaint and Ants_Dakota like this

#142 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 21 2020 - 5:48 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

5861 new case in one day in the U.S. Only shows how many people had it without showing any symptom. New study says if you got diarrhea, it's a good indication you may test positive for covid19, and this symptom occurs before any respiratory problems occur. Keep checking your feces guys.

That percentage is tiny compared to the population of the U.S.
About the diarrhea, what if I just ate at Taco bell?

Thanks for the update, that's good to know. Yeah, it is a tiny percentage, but still that's a lot of people. Ahh, yeah if you ate Taco bell....have fun on the toilet :lol:

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#Ants4Life

#143 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted March 21 2020 - 1:50 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
Well for one, I have been planning a remake of my FBT's paludarium for weeks and now I can't get the materials for it. That is delayed now. School is cancelled for a while so online school will likely start in 2 weeks after spring break. Finally, we will be in this mess on my birthday so I won't have much of a 17th get together or anything. Also the no school really screwed up my sleep schedule.
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#144 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 21 2020 - 1:57 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

same here

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#145 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 21 2020 - 2:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Well for one, I have been planning a remake of my FBT's paludarium for weeks and now I can't get the materials for it. That is delayed now. School is cancelled for a while so online school will likely start in 2 weeks after spring break. Finally, we will be in this mess on my birthday so I won't have much of a 17th get together or anything. Also the no school really screwed up my sleep schedule.

We already have online schooling.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#146 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 21 2020 - 3:52 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Well if the runs without taco bell influence are an indicator then I have had it since the end of January.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#147 Offline AntPhycho - Posted March 21 2020 - 10:50 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Almost all Californian Universities and districts are closed and we are being asked to self quarantine. This means no more anting outside of my property  :( .

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#148 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 22 2020 - 10:41 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Actually, you can go outside of your property, just practice social distancing, unless anything has changed since yesterday.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#149 Offline zantezaint - Posted March 22 2020 - 7:15 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Stay at home order still allows exercise outdoors. Saw many hiking today. Everyone must be bored out of their minds.

• Martialis likes this

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#150 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 23 2020 - 5:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Oof; We’re still on a shopping spree.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#151 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 23 2020 - 8:22 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

That is the good thing. Us ant keepers are going to still be looking for queens as usual, and be getting exercise and fresh air as well.

• TennesseeAnts and zantezaint like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#152 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 23 2020 - 8:44 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

That is the good thing. Us ant keepers are going to still be looking for queens as usual, and be getting exercise and fresh air as well.

You can count on that! I'm going Camponotus hunting this week!
  • zantezaint and Ants_Dakota like this

#153 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2020 - 9:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
We’re on the 60s here through Easter. I’m hoping for Camponotus mid-April maybe.
This is another reason to plant natives in your yard: bring the queens to you!
  • zantezaint and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#154 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 23 2020 - 6:10 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I have milkweed in my yard, and the aphids on it bring in loads of formica and lasius.

Not to mention monarchs :D

• ANTdrew, zantezaint and TheMicroPlanet like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#155 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 24 2020 - 8:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I have milkweed in my yard, and the aphids on it bring in loads of formica and lasius.

Not to mention monarchs :D

Attaboy! What kind of milkweed?
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#156 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 24 2020 - 2:40 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

It is making me think less and less of the general population as each day passes.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#157 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 24 2020 - 3:41 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

It is making me think less and less of the general population as each day passes.

WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE FROM SOMETHING BARELY WORSE THAN THE COMMON FLU!!!

Edited by AntsDakota, March 24 2020 - 3:41 PM.

#158 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 24 2020 - 3:43 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Covidiots
  • gcsnelling, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 2 others like this

#159 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 24 2020 - 5:11 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

This is far worse than the common flu.

• FSTP and NickAnter like this

#160 Offline Martialis - Posted March 24 2020 - 5:42 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I'm a type one diabetic and am thus immunocompromised. I've spent 10 days straight inside. I went outside for an hour or two today. It was good to see the sun :lol:

• zantezaint likes this
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users