• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How is COVID-19 Affecting You?

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#161 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 24 2020 - 5:53 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I also think it has been running around here a bit longer than has been recognized.

• Martialis likes this

#162 Offline Martialis - Posted March 24 2020 - 6:05 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I also think it has been running around here a bit longer than has been recognized.

It definitely has been.

Spoiler

#163 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 24 2020 - 6:12 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I have milkweed in my yard, and the aphids on it bring in loads of formica and lasius.

Not to mention monarchs :D

Attaboy! What kind of milkweed?

Thanks! I am not sure. It just migrated there.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#164 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 2:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,420 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Probably Asclepias syriaca then, aka common milkweed.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#165 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 25 2020 - 3:34 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Coronavirus and milkweed. This is an interesting conversation.

• FSTP, zantezaint and Ants_Dakota like this

#166 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 4:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,420 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I always jump at any chance to trumpet my two causes: native plants and denouncing the practice of collecting established colonies from the wild for captivity.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#167 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 25 2020 - 5:01 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

So what would happen if you witness someone digging up a native plant that houses an established colony?

#168 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 5:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,420 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Haha. That would be a double whammy. I base my stance on colonies from the history of unscrupulous collection of native plants from the wild. Both are harmful and unnecessary. We have data on this.

#169 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 25 2020 - 5:22 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

what native plants do Aphenogaster like? I'm interested in  giving more variety to my backyard (more than the Camponotus and Formica battling it out every year)...

I'm also interested in Aphenogaster

• Ants_Dakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#170 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 7:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,420 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Bloodroot, Virginia bluebells, trillium, or anything that has ant dispersed seeds with an elaisome attached to it. Elaisomes are these fleshy protein packs attached to entice ants to gather seeds and haul them down into their warm, dark, fertilized nests. It's genius!

Edited by ANTdrew, March 25 2020 - 7:16 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#171 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 25 2020 - 8:18 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

So, i guess i have not been on here long enough to know why you don't encourage the digging out of native colonies?

Is there a scientific reason for that?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#172 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 25 2020 - 8:19 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I think it has something to do with conservation and the local ecosystem.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#173 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 25 2020 - 9:04 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Bloodroot, Virginia bluebells, trillium, or anything that has ant dispersed seeds with an elaisome attached to it. Elaisomes are these fleshy protein packs attached to entice ants to gather seeds and haul them down into their warm, dark, fertilized nests. It's genius!

I'll have to tell my dad some Ant Plants! He'll finally have something to do with the backyard and we won't have to venture so far! (I didn't mean for it to rhyme, but it works).

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#174 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 9:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,420 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s not a popular opinion on here, but I’m not out to toast anyone’s marshmallows. Wild collection of things like parrots and orchids has proven to be very detrimental to local populations. Granted, ants are far less popular, but I still think people should think twice before digging up one of the tiny fraction of successful colonies. You are removing one of the few “all star” queens that actually made it from the gene pool. I have friends on here that I respect who disagree with me on this, but I still want our community to reflect on what is the best thing long term for the creatures and ecosystems we love.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

#175 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 25 2020 - 9:05 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Do you think you can PM me some native plants that would encourage ants to take root in my backyard? 

#176 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 9:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,420 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Do you think you can PM me some native plants that would encourage ants to take root in my backyard?

I’m on it!
  • FSTP likes this

#177 Offline FSTP - Posted March 25 2020 - 9:59 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

How is COVID-19 Affecting You?

NaTivE pLaNTs !

• ANTdrew, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and TheMicroPlanet like this

#178 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 25 2020 - 5:14 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Maybe native plants are the solution to the pandemic!

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and zantezaint like this

#179 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 5:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,420 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Probably not, but they are the answer to the pandemic loss of biodiversity on our planet.

#180 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 25 2020 - 5:51 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users