• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How is COVID-19 Affecting You?

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#181 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 11:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I just found it interesting that there is a certain Corona, California. I wonder how many cases they have.........
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#182 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 29 2020 - 12:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Corona simply means crown in Spanish. No, drinking Corona beer won’t give you the virus.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#183 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 12:28 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Just joking........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#184 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 1:12 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Of course. There is literally no one in shops, although the walking trails are full here in SF.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#185 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 1:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Be sure to clarify it’s not San Francisco, as we use the abbreviation as well.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#186 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 29 2020 - 2:26 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

So apparently, a 102-year-old woman in Italy made a full recovery from COVID-19 after around 20 days in the hospital. Finally some good news  :yahoo:

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 2 others like this

#187 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 29 2020 - 2:53 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

And in Illinois the first infant-yes, you read that right INFANT has died from the COVID-19

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#188 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 6:30 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Must have had underlying conditions.

#189 Offline FSTP - Posted March 29 2020 - 10:09 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Must have had underlying conditions.

So does that mean it doesn't count?  I don't understand why when someone mentions that someone died from covid they ask or say "underlying issues" as if because they did thier death shouldn't be counted or considered. Obviously not saying this was your intention behind your statment. But I've talked to seveal people IRL that when talking about covid-19 deaths they seem to be very flipant and dismissive about some of the deaths just becasue they may or may not have had underlying issues. I don't understand why this is. 

#190 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 30 2020 - 3:51 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Well, it does not mean that they do not count as a human, but it is trying to ensure everyone that the world is not going to collapse, and, that you definitely do not need to buy 20 rolls of toilet paper the next time you go to a shop.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#191 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 30 2020 - 3:52 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

As everyone seems to think that if they get it, they have like a 50% chance of dying. I think your friends just were trying to reassure themselves that is would be ok.

#192 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted April 1 2020 - 8:26 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm so mad. My local trail which has many camponotus species is closed because of Covid. It was so warm last night, so many Camponotus prob flew last night.

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#193 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 1 2020 - 8:38 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Our parks are closed....... the city literally ripped the basketball hoops off the backboards, and children are not supposed to play on the equipment, although our trails are still open. I’m going to look for Prenolepis today.

#194 Offline AntPhycho - Posted April 1 2020 - 11:48 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Actually, you can go outside of your property, just practice social distancing, unless anything has changed since yesterday.

If you are not going to absolutely necessary places (markets, grocery stores, etc.) highway patrol have the excuse to pull you over. Going anting is not a necessary activity. If this thing gets any worse, it is likely they will fully declare Martial Law. 

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#195 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 1 2020 - 12:06 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I am going to look for Formica and [attempt] to set up a Formica trap on this Friday (it'll hit low to mid 60's) 

• AntsDakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#196 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2020 - 12:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
At least in Virginia, we are still allowed outside for exercise. Walking in the woods would count as exercise, so I will continue looking for queens. Bike trails are part of many people’s transportation, so I doubt those would close. Wooded bike trails are always a good bet for queens.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#197 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 1 2020 - 12:41 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Here bike trails are recreational as far as I know. Most people have cars, and a few take buses, and even fewer take taxis. People do like walking and biking for fun, though.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#198 Offline AntPhycho - Posted April 1 2020 - 3:11 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes, unfortunately California is a big hot spot for this pandemic so the state is a bit stricter.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#199 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 1 2020 - 3:54 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, but my state can still go out to walk and stuff (as long as it's not 10+ people)

• AntsDakota likes this

#200 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 1 2020 - 4:22 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Our parks were shut down because people were not practicing good social distancing at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users