• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Buying Solenopsis

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline zantezaint - Posted February 17 2020 - 5:54 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Buying any of the legal Solenopsis species in California that is larger than the Molesta. I want the nastiest, toughest, fast breeding species of ants; the ones that will devour my flesh if I stick my hand in the formicarium. Frankly, I am tired of my camponotus colony and how slow it breeds and how small the colony has been for the last 3 to 4 years.

Edited by zantezaint, March 1 2020 - 12:20 PM.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 17 2020 - 7:32 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
First off.
It is illegal to keep or sell invicta in California. So you should just change it to xyloni.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 7:57 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

oh yeah, forgot about the invasive species 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 17 2020 - 8:53 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Whether it's illegal or not, I don't condone keeping such destructive invasives. You should definitely go with xyloni. Besides- they're larger.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 9:07 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, destructive ants are a hand full, and in this case are illegal

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 17 2020 - 9:29 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Any RIFAs should be exterminated.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline Enderz - Posted February 17 2020 - 11:00 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Invicta have cool names and they feel really good on your hands.

• zantezaint likes this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#8 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 10:58 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

If you have nothing useful to add to the topic then please refrain from saying anything at all. Thank you :D

• DDD101DDD likes this

#9 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 29 2020 - 11:42 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

If you have nothing useful to add to the topic then please refrain from saying anything at all. Thank you :D

nice one...
yeah don't keep invicta, xyloni are cooler and invicta need to be exterminated on sight

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 29 2020 - 2:16 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Why do people constantly want these. I don't get it. I really don't see the appeal in fire ants. They vibrant colors, but other than that, they're really boring.

#11 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 2:43 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

and some are illegal... 

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 29 2020 - 3:23 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Why do people constantly want these. I don't get it. I really don't see the appeal in fire ants. They vibrant colors, but other than that, they're really boring.

I like them because they're aggressive, eat anything and grow extremely quickly. He probably feels the same.
  • zantezaint likes this

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 3:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Invicta have cool names and they feel really good on your hands.

Feel the burn......  :facepalm:  :lol:

I like them because they're aggressive, eat anything and grow extremely quickly. He probably feels the same.

Oh- you mean Tetramorium? They've been known to be more aggressive than fire ants and grow at a similar pace. And their stings aren't quite so bad, and they aren't nearly as destructive to the environment.

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:03 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

AC fanboys (for the most part). I don't care if you kill RIFA or BIFA on sight or keep any queen you find. JUST DON'T RELEASE THEM. FREEZE THEM. PERIOD.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, February 29 2020 - 4:06 PM.

• NickAnter likes this

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I like him, but I don't let him control my bias. There are other sources of ant keeping, people!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#16 Offline Mdrogun - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:39 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

You should definitely go with xyloni. Besides- they're larger.

Solenopsis xyloni is roughly the same size as Solenopsis invicta. If anything, you could argue that Solenopsis invicta is larger, since their majors have a larger max size than is the case with Solenopsis xyloni.

• TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 4:58 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Still no reason to buy invicta, though.

#18 Offline Mdrogun - Posted February 29 2020 - 5:21 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Still no reason to buy invicta, though.

I was simply trying to prevent the spread of misinformation.

They're one of the fastest growing ant species in the United States and they're fairly aggressive. They also are found in areas where most or all of the native species require hibernation, yet they don't. I understand wanting them for that reason. I think there is also a big crowd of people that see Antscanada keeping "The Fire Nation" and want to try it out for themselves. That is less valid.

Oh- you mean Tetramorium? They've been known to be more aggressive than fire ants and grow at a similar pace. And their stings aren't quite so bad, and they aren't nearly as destructive to the environment.

I have kept colonies of both Solenopsis invicta and Tetramorium immigrans to a colony size in excess of 5,000 workers. 

Whoever is telling you that Tetramorium grows faster than Solenopsis invicta is lying to you. Anyone who has experience with both species can tell you that is simply not the case. I would also argue that Tetramorium immigrans does not compare in terms of aggression, but that is not something I can prove with hard-line facts.

Also, I don't know how you would necessarily quantify damage to the environment, but Tetramorium immigrans sure is plenty destructive. Assuming they are less destructive than Solenopsis invicta, that's like saying "I'd rather you drop the Little Boy on my house instead of the Tsar Bomba." Ok sure, it'll do less damage, but either way whatever remains bears no resemblance to what was originally there.

I hate the fact that both Tetramorium immigrans and Solenopsis invicta are present in the United States. I've been to small pockets in my local area that was absent of Tetramorium immigrans and the difference in ant species was staggering. Both species are awful in the wild. I don't understand why this is a reason to not keep them as pets, though. They're some of the easiest queens to find that you'll ever catch, and both species can be entertaining depending on what you're looking for in your ants. We should only frown upon people that actively propagate them in the wild and/or release their captively raised colonies.

Edited by Mdrogun, February 29 2020 - 5:24 PM.

• Nathant2131, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 2 others like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#19 Offline zantezaint - Posted February 29 2020 - 9:41 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

What Manibant said sums up why I want them. To me, the more workers there are, the feeling of accomplishment I get. It also keeps me more entertained. We all have different tastes. Just like how I don't understand why people like jazz or metal. They feel something, but I will never understand or never know what they feel.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 1 2020 - 1:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Please read the rules for posting in this subforum.

Offers involving Solenopsis geminata, Solenopsis invicta, Solenopsis richteri, and Solenopsis saevissima are not allowed if either person is in California.

• Zeiss, gcsnelling, Martialis and 3 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users