• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants_Dakota's General Ant Journal(Hibernation issues and experiments in South Dakota)

ants_dakota south dakota south dakotan ants ant journal formica montana camponotus novaeboracensis camponotus pennsalvanicus lasius americanus aphaenogaster rudis myrmica americana formica

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted April 27 2020 - 12:16 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Nice! In that last picture, is that a pile of ants on top of each other? :lol:

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#Ants4Life

#62 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 9:13 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yes it is. I plan to move them into another of my formicariums as soon as i can get the supplies to build it. The formicariums will be for sale when i get them started. I also have 41 queens for this colony now!

• AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#63 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 9:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yeah, I might just move my Myrmica into a test tube, as the humidity levels are much more suitable for them there.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#64 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 9:18 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I could build you a formicarium, if you want. They will have a new design with tunnels, and an outworld.

• AntsDakota likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#65 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 9:21 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Perhaps for the Lasius, but I think the Myrmica would like a test tube better, as they can 'pile on top of each other' better.  :lol:

• Ants_Dakota and Thunder_Birds like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#66 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 9:22 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

My old myrmica americana did love to do that.

• AntsDakota likes this

#67 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 9:25 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

My old myrmica americana did love to do that.

When I tried to move my old colony into an AC Formica Hybrid Nest (I'll call these H1N1s after Swine Flu  :lol: ), and attached a test tube for a water source. The whole colony moved into the test tube.  :facepalm: I had even watered the nest..........

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#68 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted April 28 2020 - 12:48 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Yes it is. I plan to move them into another of my formicariums as soon as i can get the supplies to build it. The formicariums will be for sale when i get them started. I also have 41 queens for this colony now!

Wow! nice

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#69 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 9:48 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

April 30th, 2020, Update #1

(I am restarting and organizing this journal)

Here is some pics of my formica colony. It now has 7 queens and maybe 11 workers.

P1040698.JPG

P1040702.JPG

P1040703.JPG

They myrmica is the same. I am just buying tome for them until i can redesign and recreate their formicarium.

I do want to have help with identifying the formica.

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

#70 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 9:49 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

You'd need much better pictures, at different angles.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#71 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 9:53 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I will get more later.

#72 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 30 2020 - 9:55 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Here is some pics of my formica colony. It now has 7 queens and maybe 11 workers.

attachicon.gifP1040698.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040702.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040703.JPG

They myrmica is the same. I am just buying tome for them until i can redesign and recreate their formicarium.

Is that all the workers there was? It looks to be Formica subsericea, btw. Better pictures would be required to get a certain ID.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#73 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 10:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Is that all the workers there was? It looks to be Formica subsericea, btw. Better pictures would be required to get a certain ID.

It was a small colony. However, the queens are a little small to be subsericea, and I've seen subsericea queens before. They were much bulkier and fatter, and a couple mm larger. My guess would be podzolica, but that's just me.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#74 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 30 2020 - 10:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

It was a small colony. However, the queens are a little small to be subsericea, and I've seen subsericea queens before. They were much bulkier and fatter, and a couple mm larger. My guess would be podzolica, but that's just me.

Those are just underfed queens. Once they grow larger and get more access to food they'll look like the ones you're describing. 

#75 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 1:58 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I will try to get better pics. They have been fed honey now, so they should be much bigger :)

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#76 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 1 2020 - 9:08 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

May 1st, 2020, Update #2

Here is the order I am going to put my ants:

Aphaenogaster Tennesseensis

No new info.

Aphaenogaster Rudis

Will update on this later.

Formica Subsericea(for now)

Still need help for sure identifying them as subsericea

P1040718.JPG

P1040717.JPG

P1040716.JPG

P1040715.JPG

Formica Sp.

I also need this species identified

P1040714.JPG

P1040713.JPG

Myrmica sp.

P1040712.JPG

P1040711.JPG

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

#77 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 6 2020 - 6:59 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Later formica might be Formica montana.

#78 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 6 2020 - 8:01 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I believe I had a F. montana queen, and it was different from that one. They were alive at the same time, so I could compare.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#79 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 6 2020 - 11:39 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Thanks for the info, ants4fun. I will consider her montana until i can get better pics.

#80 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 11:30 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

May 7th, 2020, Update #3

Aphaenogaster Tennesseensis

This colony may or may not have a queen, but i believe that it does.

P1040719.JPG

P1040720.JPG

P1040723.JPG

Aphaenogaster Rudis

I have 2 colonies of these ants, both without queens, and i am in doubt of what to do with them.

P1040724.JPG

P1040729.JPG

P1040730.JPG

Formica Subsericea(for now)

Still need help for sure identifying them as subsericea

Lasius Brevicornis

P1040733.JPG

Edited by Ants_Dakota, May 7 2020 - 11:30 AM.

• AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants_dakota, south dakota, south dakotan ants, ant journal, formica montana, camponotus novaeboracensis, camponotus pennsalvanicus, lasius americanus, aphaenogaster rudis, myrmica americana, formica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users