• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants_Dakota's General Ant Journal(Hibernation issues and experiments in South Dakota)

ants_dakota south dakota south dakotan ants ant journal formica montana camponotus novaeboracensis camponotus pennsalvanicus lasius americanus aphaenogaster rudis myrmica americana formica

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#81 Online Nare - Posted May 9 2020 - 5:27 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

From what I understand, identifying the exact species of that Formica may require macro shots to count hairs (For example the key I'm working with identifies subaenescens as having "Fewer than 10 erect hairs on the first gastral tergite" and subsericea complex as having "Many more than 10 erect hairs on the first gastral tergite"). You'd need good lighting (ie. natural light from outside) and most importantly no glass in the way. If you really want good photos I'd recommend sacrificing a worker in rubbing alcohol, and then setting it up for pictures (or you could use a nanitic when they pass away naturally). I personally wouldn't bother though. They're fusca group, which means we know all the important information about their care that we need to know. I've got 2 fusca group queens lying around that I can't be bothered to identify, really doesn't cause any problems, and doesn't bother me much despite the fact that unidentified species usually irk me. I figure for the fusca group, group level is close enough.

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#82 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 9 2020 - 5:29 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

From what I understand, identifying the exact species of that Formica may require macro shots to count hairs (For example the key I'm working with identifies subaenescens as having "Fewer than 10 erect hairs on the first gastral tergite" and subsericea complex as having "Many more than 10 erect hairs on the first gastral tergite"). You'd need good lighting (ie. natural light from outside) and most importantly no glass in the way. If you really want good photos I'd recommend sacrificing a worker in rubbing alcohol, and then setting it up for pictures (or you could use a nanitic when they pass away naturally). I personally wouldn't bother though. They're fusca group, which means we know all the important information about their care that we need to know. I've got 2 fusca group queens lying around that I can't be bothered to identify, really doesn't cause any problems, and doesn't bother me much despite the fact that unidentified species usually irk me. I figure for the fusca group, group level is close enough.

Ok, Thanks! I want to eventually have as many species of formica as i can, so i might look in to identifying these someday.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#83 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 9 2020 - 5:32 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

My aphaenogaster colonies are doing good. They enjoyed half a mealworm and some sunflower seed. 

is there any camera or microscope that you would recommend using to photograph and identify ants?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#84 Online Nare - Posted May 9 2020 - 5:36 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

My aphaenogaster colonies are doing good. They enjoyed half a mealworm and some sunflower seed. 

is there any camera or microscope that you would recommend using to photograph and identify ants?

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I bought this one, pretty good value. Not great with moving subjects, however, so again, I'd recommend finding a dead worker or sacrificing one. Also tends to create a lot of glare when looking through a test tube, so I'd recommend photographing some of the specimens out in the open. You can see some of the pics I took with this thing in my termite journal, when I first got alates. I haven't really used it on my ants because they tend to move too fast.

Alternatively, any sort of clip-on macro lens could work, those are usually around 10 or 15 CAD, and work with most phones. You can get some nice shots with them with a little light, luck, and cooperative subjects.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#85 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 9 2020 - 5:43 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I bought this one, pretty good value. Not great with moving subjects, however, so again, I'd recommend finding a dead worker or sacrificing one. Also tends to create a lot of glare when looking through a test tube, so I'd recommend photographing some of the specimens out in the open. You can see some of the pics I took with this thing in my termite journal, when I first got alates. I haven't really used it on my ants because they tend to move too fast.

Alternatively, any sort of clip-on macro lens could work, those are usually around 10 or 15 CAD, and work with most phones. You can get some nice shots with them with a little light, luck, and cooperative subjects.

Thanks! I will definitely look into this! I really like the price as well!

#86 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 14 2020 - 10:14 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

May 14th, 2020, Update #4

Aphaenogaster Tennesseensis

No new news. They like hiding though.

Aphaenogaster Rudis

Both colonies are the same. They both don't have a queen, so i am going to wait until i can catch a rudis or Tennesseensis queen to see if they except. Is that a good idea?

Formica Montana

Not much new with these gals. They have 2 pupa that are like going to hatch any second, and no new eggs, sadly. only 4 ants as well. :(

P1040774.JPG

P1040775.JPG

Formica Subsericea

They are doing great! Maybe 10 eggs! They are so fast that i could not get a good pic of them!

P1040752.JPG

P1040758.JPG

P1040760.JPG

Hypoponera Opacior

I do not have the resources to care for this species right now, so it is for sale for $10. It has 2 queens and 10-15 workers.

P1040771.JPG

Lasius Brevicornis

They have a clump of eggs now! They have been sold/traded to AntsDakota and Ants4fun, though.

P1040767.JPG

Myrmica Latifrons/Lobifrons/Schencki

They are just waiting not so patiently for the materials to arrive for their nest.

Prenolepis Imparis

They have a clump of eggs! Only one worker is remaining, but that is fine.

P1040776.JPG

P1040778.JPG

And I think that is the end of my massive post!

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

#87 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 14 2020 - 10:23 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Keep in mind that species names should not be capitalized, though.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#88 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 14 2020 - 2:07 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

ok

#89 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 7:21 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
New update from here in the black hills! On mobile unfortunately😕 I was caught in the camponotus modoc flight, and am bringing back 10 queens of that species. I also have 3 novaeboracensis queens, and 2 vicinus queens, which are going to AntsDakota.(I conformed they were vicinus from photos) I am also bringing back a parasitic formica queen, which I might keep or sell to AntsDakota. I am also bringing back a formica subsercia (Sorry for spelling) colony for antlaura, and other colonies for other people who I am getting into ants (4 in total) I will hopefully get them onto formiculture. However, I am starting to agree with ANTdrew on his not digging up colonies, and so I will try to refrain from doing that in the future. AntsDakota is also getting a tapinoma colony.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, June 5 2020 - 7:23 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#90 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 9 2020 - 3:59 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

June 9th, 2020, Update #5

You will quickly realize me and AntsDakota did some major deals over the week.

Aphaenogaster Picea

Got this colony from AntsDakota. I can't wait until they get big enough to put into a formicarium!

P1040860.JPG

Aphaenogaster Rudis

This Previously unqueened colony now has a queen! I got one from AntsDakota! They excepted perfectly! I only got one bad pic though :(

P1040859.JPG

Aphaenogaster Tennesseensis

This colony had eggs and small larvae showing up randomly. Hopefully i missed the queen when I got it. Only time will tell...

P1040857.JPG

Camponotus Modoc

Got 6 of these when i was in the Black Hills. All of them have a lot of eggs. If anyone in South Dakota is interested in it, I am willing to sell or trade 1 of them.

P1040861.JPG

Camponotus Novaeboracensis

I have 2 of these right now. Got them in the black hills as well.

P1040862.JPG

Formica Montana

They finally have eggs!

P1040865.JPG

Formica Sp.

New species I got from AntsDakota. I need help at least getting a good guess to the species.

P1040867.JPG

Lasius Americanus

This colony i got from AntsDakota, and is quickly becoming my favorite. He made an awesome formicarium for it.

P1040870.JPG

P1040873.JPG

Myrmica Latifrons/Lobifrons/Schencki

Doing good in their formicarium I made them. This formicarium is just an experiment. A better one is soon coming out!

(No pics as of now. Will be updated in the future)

Myrmica Sp.

New species I now have. This is for sale

(No pics as of now. Will be updated in the future)

Sadly, the prenolepis died of unknown reasons.

• ANTdrew, Antennal_Scrobe and AntsDakota like this

#91 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 9 2020 - 4:18 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
You forgot to mention the new Formica have 7 queens.
  • TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#92 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:57 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Are Formica often polygonous? And if so what species?

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#93 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 5:21 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I’ve yet to observe a Formica sp. that wasn’t polygynous.

Edited by AntsDakota, June 10 2020 - 5:22 AM.

#94 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 9:21 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Not always. A lot of the parasitic species are, as are species in the neogagates-group
and some (like the species in question) in the fusca-group.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 10 2020 - 9:22 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#95 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:42 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Are subsericea and argentea polygonous?

The reason I ask this is because the only Formica alates I have found are one of those 2 species.

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 10 2020 - 3:43 PM.

#96 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:00 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Are subsericea and argentea polygonous?

The reason I ask this is because the only Formica alates I have found are one of those 2 species.

Yes, and no. Formica subsericea is polygynous, while F. argentea is not to my knowledge. But, the two are nearly inseparable to the naked eye, and require some high magnification to distinguish the two. If you want I can link you to a good Formica key.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#97 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:24 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Not always. A lot of the parasitic species are, as are species in the neogagates-group

My first guess to the species was an ant from the neogagates group because of the small size and the shininess. It could just be a guess though...

#98 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:27 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

My first guess to the species was an ant from the neogagates group because of the small size and the shininess. It could just be a guess though...

Most Formica are shiny. Color is worthless most of the time.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#99 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:29 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Most Formica are shiny. Color is worthless most of the time.

However, these have a pure shine all over them, whereas other formica have a silvery shine in stripes on them.

#100 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Still not reliable. You'd need to look at the hairs on their gasters, antennae, and heads, and perhaps the petiole (not sure if that's relevant in Formica, but important with many other genera), as well as counting antennal segments, measuring mouthparts, eyes, areas of the face, etc.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants_dakota, south dakota, south dakotan ants, ant journal, formica montana, camponotus novaeboracensis, camponotus pennsalvanicus, lasius americanus, aphaenogaster rudis, myrmica americana, formica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users