• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I'm Working on an Ant Board Game!

ant game board game ant board game underbrush ant saga

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted February 16 2020 - 6:10 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I think the low quality of the pictures on the cards gives the board game a more "board gamey" look (that is too say, I like it a lot).

#22 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 6:12 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Also, you can use my profile pic, if you want.

Also, I agree with TheMicroPlanet

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#23 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 16 2020 - 10:35 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Are you including Camponotus? They are found on nearly all of the continents besides Antarctica, and those colder more inhospitable places for ants.

Yes

You can use these pics if you want... I can get some better ones if you need any, or need the queen instead of worker or whatever.

Can you get one with Pogonomyrmex workers and queen? That would look best on card

https://flic.kr/p/2iqxKEM Hopefully that will bring you to a picture on my flickr page. Then you can browse and choose what you want. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a whole lot of great pics with the queen, but there are a couple. Feel free to use the Camponotus pennsyvlanicus pics too.

#24 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 17 2020 - 7:20 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Another question, How do you do those pictures on the cards? Do you draw that, or do you use a computer setting?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#25 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 7:21 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Good question. I've been wondering that myself 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 17 2020 - 9:00 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

You may use mine:

bLdg9Lo.jpg

u4ZZjJD.jpg

YA1EZzW.jpg

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#27 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 9:06 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Pretty ants

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 17 2020 - 9:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I hope the center winged queen gets workers. I love colonies with winged queens.  :)

Edited by AntsDakota, February 17 2020 - 9:17 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and TheMicroPlanet like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#29 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 9:30 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I like the one on the far left with her beautiful gastor (looks like Lasius based off of her gastor).

#30 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 17 2020 - 9:31 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I fed that one honey before the other two arrived. That's probably why. 

#31 Offline Serafine - Posted February 17 2020 - 9:43 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Just as an idea, Solenopsis fire ants should get free movement along rivers (rafting). You could even randomly roll whether they land or drift further along the river each turn (that would add some randomness to it as a downside, you may not always land where you want).

If you add in events like flooding they could be immune to that but drift in a random direction each turn until they hit land (or a river).

Camponotus could get additional food bonuses due to their Blochmannia endosymbionts, particularly when there are large bird or reptile populations in the tile (they harvest vertebrate poop and urine as a nitrogen source which their endosymbionts can turn into useful amino acids).

• Mettcollsuss, Nare and DDD101DDD like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#32 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 10:52 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I respect your knowledge, but cringe at the thoughts and speculation of how you found it out

#33 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 10:58 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

If you really want to include an interesting species, include trap jaw ants and skull collecting ants (their attributes should be obvious, trap-jaw ants have an attack boost because of their mandibles and skull collecting have a raiding boost, mainly against trap-jaw ants because of their superior formic acid spraying accuracy compared to other formica species). 

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#34 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted February 17 2020 - 4:09 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

How many species will the game have? I think if there are too many, players will get really confused, especially if they're not ant keepers.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#35 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 5:40 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yes, that is a good point. My suggestion would be make a beta version-a version where it's not released and get's tested to see it's strengths and flaws. Great idea DDD!

• DDD101DDD and Ants_Dakota like this

#36 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 17 2020 - 5:52 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I think that would be a good idea.

#37 Offline Serafine - Posted February 18 2020 - 4:51 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I respect your knowledge, but cringe at the thoughts and speculation of how you found it out

Well, it sort of started as a joke during a chat discussion about Blochmannia symbionts and what they do but recently it got scientific proof:
Camponotus ants mine sand for vertebrate urine to extract nitrogen: Ants mine urine in sand for nitrogen

If you really want to include an interesting species, include trap jaw ants and skull collecting ants (their attributes should be obvious, trap-jaw ants have an attack boost because of their mandibles and skull collecting have a raiding boost, mainly against trap-jaw ants because of their superior formic acid spraying accuracy compared to other formica species).

There's actually a lot of indicators that the massive trapjaws of Odontomachus have evolved as a defensive feature that allows the ant to catapult itself out of harms way (particularly when it falls into an ant lion trap). So something like a free retreat out of combat might make more sense for that genus.

Formica archibaldi does not have a special spray, their trick is to mimic the chemical signatures of their prey (and they can actually fine-tune it to match the specific Odontomachus colonies in their area) - the Odontomachus ant simply can't identify the attacker until it is too late. They also don't raid Odonotmachus colonies but instead pick off single workers (which isn't too hard as Odonotmachus isn't exactly known for great teamwork).

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#38 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 18 2020 - 5:58 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Maybe add permanent inquillines? One example is Polyrachis lama. This interesting species parasites ants in a completely different subfamily, which is relatively unheard of. These ants raise their brood in Diacamma sp. nests. Another fascinating aspect of this ant’s life cycle is that they apparently raise their brood in various nests. One report indicates that out of 48 Diacamma colonies containing these inquiline parasites, only 7 contained queens. It is thought that they integrate themselves in various colonies, to make use of various colonies’ resources at the same time.
https://link.springe...0040-009-0024-2
https://antwiki.org/..._et_al_2000.pdf

Maybe have them be able to cross enemy lines without being seen.

#39 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 12:58 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationParker, Colorado

near east wow very weird. definitely don't use a near east map, very strange.

what? the map? what's wrong with it?

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

at jk@uglyorangetruck.com (funny email, I know)

#40 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 1:04 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationParker, Colorado

Are you including Camponotus? They are found on nearly all of the continents besides Antarctica, and those colder more inhospitable places for ants.

Yes

You can use these pics if you want... I can get some better ones if you need any, or need the queen instead of worker or whatever.

Can you get one with Pogonomyrmex workers and queen? That would look best on card

https://flic.kr/p/2iqxKEM Hopefully that will bring you to a picture on my flickr page. Then you can browse and choose what you want. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a whole lot of great pics with the queen, but there are a couple. Feel free to use the Camponotus pennsyvlanicus pics too.

Thanks So much I'm on it!

Just as an idea, Solenopsis fire ants should get free movement along rivers (rafting). You could even randomly roll whether they land or drift further along the river each turn (that would add some randomness to it as a downside, you may not always land where you want).

If you add in events like flooding they could be immune to that but drift in a random direction each turn until they hit land (or a river).

Camponotus could get additional food bonuses due to their Blochmannia endosymbionts, particularly when there are large bird or reptile populations in the tile (they harvest vertebrate poop and urine as a nitrogen source which their endosymbionts can turn into useful amino acids).

I had this idea too great minds think alike I guess?

Flood-card.jpg

I will be editing solenopsis card ability because I haven't messed with the ant cards for a week or so, It will include flood resistance as well as pesticide resistance.

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

at jk@uglyorangetruck.com (funny email, I know)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant, game, board game, ant board game, underbrush, ant saga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users