• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I'm Working on an Ant Board Game!

ant game board game ant board game underbrush ant saga

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 1:16 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationParker, Colorado

What Kind of camera did you use to take these images? The resolution is 5000x3000.

pogoshared-1.jpg

I did a 1 min touch up and was surprised by the quality of the image

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

at jk@uglyorangetruck.com (funny email, I know)

#42 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 1:19 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

actually sorry looked at the metadate nvm. I think I am going to buy a 105mm lense now.

what brand did you use?

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

#43 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 18 2020 - 1:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I would have loved this when I was younger. Keep up the good work.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#44 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 18 2020 - 3:06 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I would have loved this when I was younger. Keep up the good work.

what do you mean? You can play it with the wife and kids lol  :lol:

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#45 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 18 2020 - 3:32 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

actually sorry looked at the metadate nvm. I think I am going to buy a 105mm lense now.
what brand did you use?

Thanks haha. I used a rebel t5i and a sigma 105mm EX DG OS HSM lens. Sniped on eBay for $250. Surprised with the clarity. Image stabilization is trash though, so just use manuel mode. Just got the camera setup 2 weeks ago.

#46 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 18 2020 - 3:37 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

what brand did you use?

Thanks haha. I used a rebel t5i and a sigma 105mm EX DG OS HSM lens. Sniped on eBay for $250. Surprised with the clarity. Image stabilization is trash though, so just use manuel mode. Just got the camera setup 2 weeks ago.

Half of that I didn't understand, but the part I did understand was that it allows this forum to get amazing photos of ants and help us further our ant knowledge. So thank you for your help, and keep on getting those amazing photos for me, and this forum!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#47 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 3:51 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

what brand did you use?

I definitely second that. I use a massive setup (canon ef 50-250mm lense with 3 extension tubes (12mm+20mm+36mm)) and it isn't optimized for zoom anyways. Even with a 50mm zoom is not really that helpful. 

I just learned how to export images as .raw and figured out how to get better quality.

The result

Original (edited)

IMG_EEE.jpg

New .raw file

Carebara-longii-reflection-res-150rw-2.jpg

an extra image I rediscovered on my camera roll.

Carebara-longii-2-reflection-res-150rw-2.jpg

Find more of my carebara images (mostly unedited) here 

https://adobe.ly/2uftXW8

#48 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 3:53 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

The lesson for all of those who wanted to know what is going on

Always use manual focus, and export your images as the larges .raw file you can. (also always use a flash with diffuser, your images will come out better)

#49 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 18 2020 - 4:00 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm taking art as an elective, and we are doing relief sculptures (so I obviously thought ants despite my one Formica queen putting me on a roller coaster of emotions recently lol), so I figured I would make it of a Formica Subsericea queen (since they do have the most beautiful ant features I've seen in my ant-keeping career), so I tried to draw it (and failed miserably). However, the thing that made my day was the teacher coming over to help (he didn't know the genus, or much about it but helped. He also has a phobia of ants, yet still helped me, because he's the best art teacher. Sorry Ferox). So long story short, I will be posting some pictures of the clay sculpture later (early to mid-March, I'll have to see), but I love that this forum is artistic and can appreciate so many varieties of people (including me) and am hoping you'll all appreciated my artwork! Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but I needed to announce something beautiful on a thread full of beautiful images and people!       

*EDIT* You could also use it for a player 'profile'/'game-card' as well! 

Edited by Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, February 18 2020 - 4:04 PM.

#50 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 18 2020 - 4:26 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Always use manual focus, and export your images as the larges .raw file you can. (also always use a flash with diffuser, your images will come out better)

Yup, I first thing I bought was a flash and diffuser. I have the raw images, but don’t have a lab top that can process them. Thankfully my boss is ordering me a Lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon with the 4K screen, so that should do the trick lol.

#51 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 18 2020 - 4:29 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Advice for the flood card, increase the consequences. Floods are deadly to ants, unless able to counter water situations like arboreal or water resistant nests and rafting.

• DDD101DDD likes this

#52 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 18 2020 - 5:04 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

yeah there should be social parasite cards where you have to invade a colony and roll the dice to see if you invade the colony... ima roll a nat 20

• DDD101DDD likes this

#53 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 18 2020 - 5:06 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, it would be incredibly difficult for something like that to happen depending on the species you decide to include (there are parasitic ants that kill parasitic ants), so you need to decide how complex you want to make it 

#54 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 6:34 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Yup, I first thing I bought was a flash and diffuser. I have the raw images, but don’t have a lab top that can process them. Thankfully my boss is ordering me a Lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon with the 4K screen, so that should do the trick lol.

Does T5i have wifi sharing? because if so you can sent .raw to an Iphone. Otherwise, you can use EOS utility with USB drive. I just save my photos to lightroom

#55 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 6:35 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

I'm taking art as an elective, and we are doing relief sculptures (so I obviously thought ants despite my one Formica queen putting me on a roller coaster of emotions recently lol), so I figured I would make it of a Formica Subsericea queen (since they do have the most beautiful ant features I've seen in my ant-keeping career), so I tried to draw it (and failed miserably). However, the thing that made my day was the teacher coming over to help (he didn't know the genus, or much about it but helped. He also has a phobia of ants, yet still helped me, because he's the best art teacher. Sorry Ferox). So long story short, I will be posting some pictures of the clay sculpture later (early to mid-March, I'll have to see), but I love that this forum is artistic and can appreciate so many varieties of people (including me) and am hoping you'll all appreciated my artwork! Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but I needed to announce something beautiful on a thread full of beautiful images and people!       

*EDIT* You could also use it for a player 'profile'/'game-card' as well! 

This thread is art related so we good

#56 Offline AntsBC - Posted February 18 2020 - 6:41 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

I respect your knowledge, but cringe at the thoughts and speculation of how you found it out

Only because I believe in transparency..NqdwN-4Uxr0TM3FTrux-2X_rcuwsfutgASeeh5DQ

• ANTdrew likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#57 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 18 2020 - 7:32 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

The lesson for all of those who wanted to know what is going onAlways use manual focus, and export your images as the larges .raw file you can. (also always use a flash with diffuser, your images will come out better)

Does T5i have wifi sharing? because if so you can sent .raw to an Iphone. Otherwise, you can use EOS utility with USB drive. I just save my photos to lightroom

I don’t think so, but I’ll try opening the file in Lightroom in my Ipad

#58 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 18 2020 - 8:13 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

You have to save them to a device first, Or upload them to image portal if it has wifi sharing

#59 Offline Serafine - Posted March 1 2020 - 3:07 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Advice for the flood card, increase the consequences. Floods are deadly to ants, unless able to counter water situations like arboreal or water resistant nests and rafting.

You'd be surprised how many ants are capable of rafting, it's not just the Solenopsis.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#60 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 1 2020 - 5:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

You'd be surprised how many ants are capable of rafting, it's not just the Solenopsis.
Even Cardiocondyla...

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant, game, board game, ant board game, underbrush, ant saga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users