• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I'm Working on an Ant Board Game!

ant game board game ant board game underbrush ant saga

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 9 2020 - 2:55 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationParker, Colorado

Hello Formiculture! I decided to post this here as you all love ants and might be interested to help out. Currently I am looking for images, I have a couple but I need more. I will credit photographers in the instructions manual and card guide on the final product. You will also get a copy of the card once I finish! I also am looking for Ideas on a map design (again you will be credited for the idea if you chose to submit one).

The game is played with cards primarily but there are also dice to decide outcomes of certain events. If everything goes according to schedule this game will likely be released around november this year. I will provide updates as I progress. But now heres what I have designed

Underbrush-Cover-art.jpg

This is my current cover art idea (I will probably change it though looking for photo submissions.)

Solenopsis-Invicta-Card.jpg

Fire ant card

Carebara-Longii-Card.jpg

C. longii card

I'm trying to mix unique species with common species for the cards. Each cards have a unique gameplay, and the card guide helps you learn about what that entails.

Edited by AntHUB, February 9 2020 - 3:02 PM.

• Ants4fun, Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and 4 others like this

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

at jk@uglyorangetruck.com (funny email, I know)

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 9 2020 - 3:17 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Note the spelling of subterranean.  Might want to fix that if you plan to sell it. ;)

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 10 2020 - 9:00 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
You can use these pics if you want... I can get some better ones if you need any, or need the queen instead of worker or whatever.

Attached Images

• DBC99155-9D9D-4FA7-A939-9F9801AF9A70.jpeg
  • F5B2E033-D234-417B-A4CB-BA2887A4ED3E.jpeg

• AntsBC likes this

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 10 2020 - 10:49 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have a few pictures, but I can't upload them at the moment. Is it alright if species is not determined?

#5 Offline Enderz - Posted February 10 2020 - 9:57 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Waste of time and money. This idea simply will never work if you consider how many antkeepers there actually are and the amount who would be willing to buy some sh*tty card game. 

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 11 2020 - 11:28 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

POPULAR

Waste of time and money. This idea simply will never work if you consider how many antkeepers there actually are and the amount who would be willing to buy some sh*tty card game. 

That was rather rude. Let him try out his idea. Antkeepers aren't the only ones who may like ants. Look how successful Empires of the Undergrowth is. If the game doesnt kick off then it was a good learning experience for future ideas.

• Ants4fun, TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman and 10 others like this

#7 Offline Enderz - Posted February 11 2020 - 8:28 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

That was rather rude. Let him try out his idea. Antkeepers aren't the only ones who may like ants. Look how successful Empires of the Undergrowth is. If the game doesnt kick off then it was a good learning experience for future ideas.

Very sorry to hear I hurt your feelings. I'm just telling him not to waste the time and money and do something more productive.  Empires of the Undergrowth has nothing to do with antkeeping, as it's about a WILD colony. This appeals to many people, whilst a card game of just species/genera of ants will not appeal to a wide audience, and simply would appeal to 'antkeepers' (though I honestly don't know who would buy a card game unless you were a kid or had Terry levels of soy in your life, and therefore are essentially a child). I hope you understand my reasoning, but honestly "rudeness" has no actual impact on my statement.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#8 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 12 2020 - 9:49 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

POPULAR

Very sorry to hear I hurt your feelings. I'm just telling him not to waste the time and money and do something more productive.  Empires of the Undergrowth has nothing to do with antkeeping, as it's about a WILD colony. This appeals to many people, whilst a card game of just species/genera of ants will not appeal to a wide audience, and simply would appeal to 'antkeepers' (though I honestly don't know who would buy a card game unless you were a kid or had Terry levels of soy in your life, and therefore are essentially a child). I hope you understand my reasoning, but honestly "rudeness" has no actual impact on my statement.

You must be fun at parties. Not everything is about money bro, sometimes people do things because they enjoy it. I for one would definitely get this game.
  • FSTP, Mettcollsuss, GeorgeK and 7 others like this

#9 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 12 2020 - 3:19 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

He also suggested I "Get off this forum" for no specific reason, furthermore refusing to answer why he posted such a crude comment. I would also get this game, as it takes an interesting perspective on games, specifically in the ant genre. However, my advice is to stay away from him-he doesn't seem like the type of person this forum will ever need; he wouldn't recognize a superb idea like your ant game if it slapped him right in the face.   

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#10 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 12 2020 - 3:21 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

You could also use my profile photo if you want for Camponotus, I would be fine with it, and it would bring a bright side to the unfortunate death aspect of my old dead Camponotus colony (RIP).

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#11 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 15 2020 - 11:11 AM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Note the spelling of subterranean.  Might want to fix that if you plan to sell it. ;)

Thanks! will do

Its neither of these, I just plan on making this for fun, If that's how you feel then why are you an ant keeper? Just curious, because it took me 3 years to even break even keeping ants.

and for everyone letting me use your photos, its okay if the species isn't known, and such.

The game actually functions with dice as well as cards. It is currently just a project I am working on with my entomology club. Once it is finished I will let you all know.

There are three different types of cards

Ant Cards

Solenopsis-Invicta-Card.jpg

Food Cards (sorry Its lower quality)

Isopods-1-card.jpg

And Interaction Cards which help change how the game progresses and affect other players and the map (again sorry about low resolution I am going to change it soon)

Raid-card.jpg

There is also a map where the colonies interact.

map-op-2.jpg

And each player gets a game plate

game-plate.jpg

The game will not be finished for a while, but I'm working on a prototype to test out tuesday with my group.

• Ants4fun, Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

#12 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 15 2020 - 11:13 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Are you including Camponotus? They are found on nearly all of the continents besides Antarctica, and those colder more inhospitable places for ants.

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 15 2020 - 11:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It doesn't necessarily need to be commercialized. It could just be a fun thing for ant keepers. Just because the majority of society won't take an interest doesn't mean the ant keeping community won't. 

• PacificNorthWestern likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 15 2020 - 11:19 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

It doesn't necessarily need to be commercialized. It could just be a fun thing for ant keepers. Just because the majority of society won't take an interest doesn't mean the ant keeping community won't. 

He speaks the truth

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 15 2020 - 4:01 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Pictures coming right up.

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 15 2020 - 4:25 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

https://www.formicul...ctures-for-art/

You can also use my profile pic for parasitic Formica.

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 15 2020 - 6:17 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

An awesome idea. You have my support!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#18 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 16 2020 - 5:32 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Are you including Camponotus? They are found on nearly all of the continents besides Antarctica, and those colder more inhospitable places for ants.

Yes

You can use these pics if you want... I can get some better ones if you need any, or need the queen instead of worker or whatever.

Can you get one with Pogonomyrmex workers and queen? That would look best on card

#19 Offline AntHUB - Posted February 16 2020 - 5:38 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

I didn't make this very clear. You are not keeping ants in the game, you are playing as them to try and complete objectives.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#20 Offline Enderz - Posted February 16 2020 - 6:10 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

near east wow very weird. definitely don't use a near east map, very strange.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant, game, board game, ant board game, underbrush, ant saga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users