• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What ant genus/species do you dream of keeping?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 11 2020 - 2:52 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

When telling someone something the don't know-

"Worker ants don't lay eggs, ya'know."

"Gotcha." (I see, I understand)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#62 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 11 2020 - 2:59 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Can't some workers (of some species) lay male eggs in times of distress?

#63 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 11 2020 - 3:04 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Can't some workers (of some species) lay male eggs in times of distress?

Yes.

#64 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 11 2020 - 3:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I would say a lot of species. To me the behavior sounds pretty primitive, but Lasius do it. I've seen them.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#65 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 11 2020 - 3:36 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

It might be primitive but it sounds like a great last-ditch chance to propogate your genetic code 

#66 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 11 2020 - 4:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Another genus I really like is Mystrium.  And on the whole slang stuff, I too know hardly any of it, as I don't associate with the goons obsessed with keeping up with the latest trends.  I basically talk to the same(normal) people every day.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#67 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 11 2020 - 5:01 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Another genus I really like is Mystrium.  And on the whole slang stuff, I too know hardly any of it, as I don't associate with the goons obsessed with keeping up with the latest trends.  I basically talk to the same(normal) people every day.

The whole English language is on a one way route to gibberish if people keep talking with slang. And wow that's a really cool ant!

#68 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted January 11 2020 - 6:05 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I've never heard it either, which is why I assumed ANTdrew said it. Must be an East Coast thing, ya'know.

I've never heard it either.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#69 Offline Amazant - Posted January 11 2020 - 6:12 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Cephalotes, Banded sugar ant, Odontomachus, Myrmecocystus, and polyrhachis dives would be my dream ants.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#70 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 11 2020 - 6:19 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

mystrium are amazing. recently labeled one of the two fastest animals in the world.

#71 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 11 2020 - 6:20 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Oh, I totally forgot about Cephalotes!  Yeah, that would be my dream genus.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#72 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted January 11 2020 - 7:00 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

def not an east coast thing...

• ANTdrew likes this

#73 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 11 2020 - 8:10 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

My dream species would be Solenyergobopcropygastennametopumessorbardontoecophyllamoriumyrmexenogasterhacheciaonotiodolipithema geminvictloninstructorudissimpressaragdinapiculatucutiversalocephalumilricorufescenigropacinclavatarenarius.

The second line is the species name.  ;)

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, TheMicroPlanet and 1 other like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#74 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 12 2020 - 10:14 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

My dream species would be Solenyergobopcropygastennametopumessorbardontoecophyllamoriumyrmexenogasterhacheciaonotiodolipithema geminvictloninstructorudissimpressaragdinapiculatucutiversalocephalumilricorufescenigropacinclavatarenarius.

The second line is the species name.  ;)

DO I SEE LINEPITHEMA IN THERE

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#75 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 12 2020 - 4:58 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I would also really want to keep neivamyrmex nigrescens or another subterranean army ant species. I've been thinking about making a special nomadic setup for them that involves a mess of nests and outworlds connected with tubing.

#76 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 12 2020 - 8:42 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ask Purdue entomology, he's had a decent run with them.

#77 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 13 2020 - 5:34 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Shoot, I forgot about Nomamyrmex esenbeckii! Only the best Doryline in the world! Heavily armored, beautifully colored, and they freaking attack fully grown Atta and Acromyrmex colonies and win just to eat!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#78 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:04 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Shoot, I forgot about Nomamyrmex esenbeckii! Only the best Doryline in the world! Heavily armored, beautifully colored, and they freaking attack fully grown Atta and Acromyrmex colonies and win just to eat!

Don't forget the hairy tufted males. Only way I can remember these is hairy males.

#79 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:04 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

they freaking attack fully grown Atta and Acromyrmex colonies and win just to eat!

But I like leafcutters.....  :(

• TennesseeAnts and TheMicroPlanet like this

#80 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 13 2020 - 5:03 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Don't forget the hairy tufted males. Only way I can remember these is hairy males.

Oof...

they freaking attack fully grown Atta and Acromyrmex colonies and win just to eat!

But I like leafcutters.....  :(

Yeah but still, it's insane. They're the only species in the world who can take them on.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users