• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What ant genus/species do you dream of keeping?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 16 2019 - 6:26 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Ponera Pennsylvanica is a species I also want to keep. I like all ponerine ants because of their unique body shape, and especially P. pennsylvanica for the fact that it's semi-claustral (or so i've heard. can someone verify?)

Um... pretty much all ponerinae are semi claustral. P. pennsylvanica is probably the least interesting ponerinae out there.

I mean, I'd rather keep them than most of the Hypoponera species here (except for H. inexorata). They're actually bigger and more elongated than Hypoponera species. Luckily for me, South Carolina has a few more Ponerine species. Cryptopone gilva and likely Odontomachus brunneus both live in SC (Odontomachus brunneus hasn't actually been found in SC, but has been found a few miles south of the border). We also have Gnamptogenys triangularis which isn't actually a Ponerine, rather an Ectatommine, but was once classified as a Ponerine.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#22 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted December 17 2019 - 12:55 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Pseudomyrmex gracilis. There are ants I like better, like Rhytidoponera or the Old World Gnamptogenys, but I'm pretty sure that USDA can only grant permits to species found within the US. 

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#23 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted December 17 2019 - 1:18 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

If i could have any ant species i would have Polyrhachis Bihamata or the fish hook ant, it looks super cool. Also my dream gernera is any crematogaster species, these ants have always fascinated me

#24 Offline CampoKing - Posted December 17 2019 - 5:06 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado

And I thought protist taxonomy was hard... ant taxonomy looks a lot worse  :lol:

As a Camponotus fan, I spent six months figuring out that there's 50-52 species of Camponotus in North America. The trouble is with active hybridization happening in Florida (the "tortuganus complex"), which creates a fuzzy area in an official count.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#25 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 17 2019 - 7:22 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

And I thought protist taxonomy was hard... ant taxonomy looks a lot worse  :lol:

As a Camponotus fan, I spent six months figuring out that there's 50-52 species of Camponotus in North America. The trouble is with active hybridization happening in Florida (the "tortuganus complex"), which creates a fuzzy area in an official count.

Oh man, Camponotus "tortuganus" taxonomy is messy. I've talked to both James Wetterer and Mark Deyrup about it, and both of them are still confused about its classification.

• Aaron567, TennesseeAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#26 Offline Nare - Posted December 18 2019 - 12:50 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

New York has Trachymyrmex septentrionalis (they moved it to a new genus just recently, so it's called something else that I can't remember). It's not quite Atta or Acromyrmex scale, but interesting nonetheless. I expect they'd be pretty rare, though they inhabit rather specific environments from what I remember, so finding them might not be too difficult.

No, Trachymyrmex septentrionalis was not moved to a different genus. It's still Trachymyrmex. Other Trachymyrmex species were moved to such genera as Mycetomoellerius and Paratrachymyrmex, among others.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

#27 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted December 18 2019 - 1:15 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

In fact, as the type species of TrachymyrmexT. septentrionalis defines the genus and will always be a part of it as long as the name is not somehow discovered to be invalid.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#28 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 18 2019 - 5:05 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I am probably the only one who wants this ant, but here it is. Lasius fuliginosus.
  • ANTdrew and Antennal_Scrobe like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#29 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 19 2019 - 4:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am probably the only one who wants this ant, but here it is. Lasius fuliginosus.

I would like it too, really nice looking ants. Def not at the top of my list though.

#30 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 19 2019 - 8:04 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

What I really like about them is the carton making and head shape.  Not to mention they have gigantic colonies and are parasitic.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#31 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 8 2020 - 11:22 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
I would kill for a colony of Polyrhachis ypsilon. Polyrhachis is one of my favorite genera, and ypsilon is easily the coolest species. Too bad there's no records of a captive colony in general, let alone for trade.

#32 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 8 2020 - 11:42 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Gigantiops destructor

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#33 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 8 2020 - 11:56 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I would kill for a colony of Polyrhachis ypsilon. Polyrhachis is one of my favorite genera, and ypsilon is easily the coolest species. Too bad there's no records of a captive colony in general, let alone for trade.

One, what kind of a name is that, and two...HOLY CRAP THAT IS THE MOST GORGEOUS CAMPONOTINE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and TheMicroPlanet like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#34 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 8 2020 - 12:20 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

One, what kind of a name is that, and two...HOLY CRAP THAT IS THE MOST GORGEOUS CAMPONOTINE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

An ant Ferox hasn't heard of? Omg I just be dreaming.
  • CheetoLord02 likes this

#35 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 8 2020 - 1:17 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

An ant Ferox hasn't heard of? Omg I just be dreaming.

There are a lot of ants I haven't heard of. Over 18,000 named described species alone, and there are bound to be a few even I haven't heard of.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#36 Offline FSTP - Posted January 8 2020 - 1:23 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

If I could have any ant I woudl get Colobopsis schmitzi and have it live in a giant Nepenthes bicalcarata. I've grown bicals before they're not challenging at all so it would be fun to have a colony of ants living in it.

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 8 2020 - 1:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

If I could have any ant I woudl get Colobopsis schmitzi and have it live in a giant Nepenthes bicalcarata. I've grown bicals before they're not challenging at all so it would be fun to have a colony of ants living in it.

That sounds awesome. I would keep Oecophylla in my big indoor ficus tree.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#38 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 8 2020 - 2:21 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Also Allomerus decemarticulatus. I know these would be impossible to keep but they are literally the coolest ants ever.
  • OhNoNotAgain likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#39 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 8 2020 - 2:36 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Tetramorium pulcherrimum
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 8 2020 - 2:57 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Also Allomerus decemarticulatus. I know these would be impossible to keep but they are literally the coolest ants ever.

Just messin’ with you, but how is an Amazonian ant literally the coolest?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users