• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Q&A Topic/ Campoculture! :)

ants & myrmecology ant keeping general ant keeping camponotous

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 4:52 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I hope I'll find a faster growing species than Camponotus. No offense to them, but I like formica because they grow fast and are somewhat beautiful, but Lasius, Myrmecia, etc. are also like that. 

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#122 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 2 2020 - 3:34 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I totally agree.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#123 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted March 2 2020 - 5:32 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

What is the best nest for Camponotus?
I see a lot of colonies thrive in ytong nest.
But This French guy is keeping them in some sort of lab set up and they seem te be doing very well.

How did they make that setup? I've been trying to replicate something like that for years but to no avail.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#124 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 3 2020 - 4:40 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

maybe send him an e-mail or something...toughie you got there

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#125 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 3 2020 - 4:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
He probably doesn’t have his email address....... It would probably be easier to comment on the video, yet who knows if he’ll get an answer.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#126 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 3 2020 - 5:30 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

a very perplexing question for certain, however, I'm sure we'll find a solution...

#127 Offline Serafine - Posted March 6 2020 - 3:22 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

What is the best nest for Camponotus?
I see a lot of colonies thrive in ytong nest.
But This French guy is keeping them in some sort of lab set up and they seem te be doing very well.

How did they make that setup? I've been trying to replicate something like that for years but to no avail.

That's either a new addition to the setup (might have a heat source underneath the brood) or he's relocating his ants every month and cleaning out the setup.

There is NO WAY that an outworld looks like that after being used by the ants for a few months. Also the colony isn't doing too great, that brood pile is laughably small.

I don't think that's a good setup - blank acyrlic surfaces and tiny six-legged chemical processing plants don't really go well together. He should have put at least some form of substrate down for the ant trails to stick onto.

And honestly, it also looks kinda bland and ugly.

Edited by Serafine, March 6 2020 - 3:23 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#128 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 6 2020 - 4:16 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I concur

#129 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 6 2020 - 2:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

There is NO WAY that an outworld looks like that after being used by the ants for a few months. Also the colony isn't doing too great, that brood pile is laughably small.

I don't think that's a good setup - blank acyrlic surfaces and tiny six-legged chemical processing plants don't really go well together. He should have put at least some form of substrate down for the ant trails to stick onto.

And honestly, it also looks kinda bland and ugly.

He obviously didn't do his research.......  Anyways, people should modify the design before duplicating it to prevent this mistake again.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#130 Offline Josh.Antlover - Posted March 6 2020 - 11:59 PM

Josh.Antlover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBenicia, California
So I just bought a camponotus vicinus queen with 5 workers like 3 weeks ago (no broods or pile of eggs), I would just like to know when will the queen start to lay eggs? and they move kinda slow even their antennae right now

And how often should I feed them? Thank you
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#131 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 7 2020 - 5:47 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

feed them once a week (a meal worm cut in half should suffice) and she probably just needs protein before she'll lay 

#132 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:03 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Remember to feed her sugars as well.

#133 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:07 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yes, I almost forgot, carbohydrates are needed as well

#134 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:09 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Proteins will help the queen lay eggs and aid in larva development, but carbs keep the workers and queen alive.

#135 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:11 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yes, AntsDakota knows what he's talking about lol

• AntsDakota likes this

#136 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2020 - 8:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

So I just bought a camponotus vicinus queen with 5 workers like 3 weeks ago (no broods or pile of eggs), I would just like to know when will the queen start to lay eggs? and they move kinda slow even their antennae right now

And how often should I feed them? Thank you

Temperature is another important factor. Slow movements may indicate that they are too cool.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#137 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 8:29 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
85-90F is a good range.

#138 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 7 2020 - 9:38 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I personally go for 85 to make sure there is a range between hot and deathly hot, but that's me

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#139 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 1:08 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I personally go for 85 to make sure there is a range between hot and deathly hot, but that's me

I would do that too. Sometimes condensation can drown you ants if you don't wipe it away.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#140 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 7 2020 - 2:11 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

true

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants & myrmecology, ant keeping, general ant keeping, camponotous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users