• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A Warning to New AntKeepers Purchasing Pogonomyrmex occidentalis "colonies"

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#81 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:27 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

because it isin't a plant pest, in fact it's quite the opposite. Thus, it should be the same as Pogonomyrmex.

But they would be a little hard to raise, considering they use caterpillar frass for their fungus.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#82 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:39 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

I am working on exempting Trachymyrmex septontrialis as well. :)

Please get this excepted that would be amazing
  • TennesseeAnts and Rin like this

#83 Offline Rin - Posted October 27 2019 - 5:01 AM

Rin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTennessee
I don't know how this deregulation got started but I'm having a wonderful time with my Pogonomyrmex colony! I'd like to see Formica subsearia.anyone else?
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#84 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 27 2019 - 6:42 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
That would be nice. I might do Lasius americanus or Lasius neoniger next though.
  • Rin likes this

#85 Offline Rin - Posted October 29 2019 - 3:04 PM

Rin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTennessee

I am working on exempting Trachymyrmex septontrialis as well. :)

How does one get a species exempted? I would love to see Formica subsericea exempted.

#86 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 30 2019 - 11:58 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Tetramorium should be an obvious choice. Unless they are still considered invasive even though they have found their place in the ecosystem.
  • Rin likes this

#87 Offline Zeiss - Posted October 30 2019 - 12:15 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Tetramorium should be an obvious choice. Unless they are still considered invasive even though they have found their place in the ecosystem.

Just because they "found their place in the ecosystem" doesn't mean they will stop being invasive.  They should not be legally/illegally spread.

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD, TestSubjectOne and 1 other like this

#88 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 30 2019 - 1:30 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Just because they "found their place in the ecosystem" doesn't mean they will stop being invasive. They should not be legally/illegally spread.
Why did you put that in quotes? In most places that is a very true fact. Please tell me if you feel otherwise, but I think they should be able to be added to the list just as much as Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, which FYI, aren’t even native to lots of the United States. I can easily get Tetramorium, as with lots of people, but I think that people who don’t have access to a easy species like this should be able too.

Edited by Kaelwizard, October 30 2019 - 1:31 PM.

#89 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 30 2019 - 1:41 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Just because they "found their place in the ecosystem" doesn't mean they will stop being invasive. They should not be legally/illegally spread.
Why did you put that in quotes? In most places that is a very true fact. Please tell me if you feel otherwise, but I think they should be able to be added to the list just as much as Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, which FYI, aren’t even native to lots of the United States. I can easily get Tetramorium, as with lots of people, but I think that people who don’t have access to a easy species like this should be able too.

But the problem is that they grow pretty fast and can probably become invasive easily.

• OiledOlives likes this

#90 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 30 2019 - 2:36 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

But the problem is that they grow pretty fast and can probably become invasive easily.
however, since they found their place in the US, what's to say they won't find their place in other areas?

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#91 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

The amount of ecological harm that Tetramorium immigrans has done to "find its place" is incredible. Not quite as bad as Solenopsis invicta, S. richteri, or S. invicta x richteri, but Tetramorium immigrans should not be spread. If they get exempted, that means that one could ship queens to other countries where they aren't established yet, and cause even more harm.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, September 5 2021 - 12:59 PM.

• DDD101DDD and OiledOlives like this

#92 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:51 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

true, but the buyer should be aware of this situation.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#93 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:51 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

true, but the buyer should be aware of this situation.

Sadly, most aren't. 

#94 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:53 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

maybe a disclaimer would be neccesarry

#95 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:53 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I think it happens accidentally most of the time. When the colony grows too big too quickly, it can cause problems.

#96 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:55 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

maybe a disclaimer would be neccesarry

still stand by this

#97 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:58 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
But, being invasive, Tetramorium immagrans would never be exempted. We can still hope for natives, such as Lasius spp, Camponotus spp, Formica spp, Ponera spp, Hypoponera opacior, (maybe even Neivamyrmex!) and many more interesting, native ants. :D
Odontomachus bruennus might be doable.
  • Rin likes this

#98 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:58 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

In addition, there are several examples of pets escaping and causing substantial damage to the ecosystem. I also predict that some people would be unable to keep a colony from start to finish, and would end up releasing the ants into their environment. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#99 Offline Zeiss - Posted October 30 2019 - 4:01 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I think all invasives should be killed on spot.  I also put it in quotes because I was quoting you, Kael.  Invasive species should not be allowed to be spread further than they have already.  Some may try to justify that they are just trying to live and humans are at fault: yes, we are and we should correct our wrongs.  The only reason things will be exempted is if the USDA/APHIS are absolutely sure they would not become invasive if they were to possibly be released by someone whether it be willingly or by escapees.  

These are things that a good portion of people do not realise when dealing with invasive species of any phyla.

• Mdrogun, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#100 Offline Enderz - Posted October 30 2019 - 4:07 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Just because they "found their place in the ecosystem" doesn't mean they will stop being invasive.  They should not be legally/illegally spread.

Disagree; invasives are beautiful and portray the true ideals of the fascist ideology (in terms of fascism concerning ethnicity).

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users