• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A Warning to New AntKeepers Purchasing Pogonomyrmex occidentalis "colonies"

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#61 Offline soulsynapse - Posted August 22 2019 - 10:47 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

This is great, I'm happy that the description was changed and that the email was sent out to customers. Exactly what I would want to see from an established respected vender such as THA. I still don't like the idea of selling a queen with only boosted workers. However, at least now all the pertinent information needed to make an informed buying decision is there, and that's all that matters in the end. 

AFAIK, there are no colonies being sold with only boosted workers, all of them are being sold with their own brood minimum, correct?

I think the whole point of this is to get them out the door to people who are really excited about the new regulations. Anybody who care enough to wait can do so, says right there in the email.

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#62 Offline FSTP - Posted August 22 2019 - 10:59 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

This is great, I'm happy that the description was changed and that the email was sent out to customers. Exactly what I would want to see from an established respected vender such as THA. I still don't like the idea of selling a queen with only boosted workers. However, at least now all the pertinent information needed to make an informed buying decision is there, and that's all that matters in the end. 

AFAIK, there are no colonies being sold with only boosted workers, all of them are being sold with their own brood minimum, correct?

Correct, what I meant by only is that the only workers that are included are boosted workers. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by FSTP, August 22 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#63 Offline Apex - Posted August 26 2019 - 5:31 AM

Apex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

While brood boosting does help, it doesn't stop the queen from randomly dying at the founding stages in my experience. It simply helps her not have to lay as many eggs initially while awaiting for workers. I think genetics plays a huge part and brood boosting workers simply increase colony size but doesn't necessarily help increase the viability of her genetics

• drtrmiller likes this

#64 Offline Serafine - Posted August 26 2019 - 6:24 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Even a single worker helps a lot in that it keeps the eggs away from the queen so she can't eat them. It will also feed the queen so she doesn't eat the eggs which helps as well.

• Somethinghmm likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#65 Offline Rin - Posted October 23 2019 - 1:09 PM

Rin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTennessee
I have both the brood boosted colony and just the Queen. I must say the brood boosted colony has grown considerably. One worker died 3 were left. Now the colony is around 13 to 15. The queen alone doesn't have a worker yet maybe soon just not today.

#66 Offline Rin - Posted October 23 2019 - 1:12 PM

Rin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTennessee
I hope this works first pic I uploaded.Screenshot_2019-10-21-19-05-30_kindlephoto-847456528.png

Edited by Rin, October 23 2019 - 1:16 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#67 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 23 2019 - 1:27 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Mine are doing OK; they had a bunch of pupae that died in transit, and while the queen later produced a cluster of tiny larvae, the colony ate them as even with the heating cable, I just can't really get them hot enough to convince them not to prep for hibernation during Wisconsin's fall months.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#68 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 26 2019 - 8:46 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Mine died.

#69 Offline vtyler98 - Posted October 26 2019 - 4:46 PM

vtyler98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Both of mine are doing great. One colony I have in a dirt setup, starting out with 4 workers and now has 15+. The second colony is in a fortress and was not a boosted colony but had 3 workers initially and now has 14 workers.

Edited by vtyler98, October 26 2019 - 4:47 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Rin like this

#70 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 26 2019 - 4:59 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Okay, so let me get this straight, you can ship this ant species throughout the continental US without a permit?

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#71 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:05 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Okay, so let me get this straight, you can ship this ant species throughout the continental US without a permit?

Yes.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#72 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:08 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I am working on exempting Trachymyrmex septontrialis as well. :)

• camponotuskeeper likes this

#73 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:10 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I am working on exempting Trachymyrmex septontrialis as well. :)

Make sure you spell it properly in your petition to the gubmint: Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

• TennesseeAnts likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#74 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:10 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yes.
cool, and I believe it is the only one, correct?

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#75 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:12 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Yes.
cool, and I believe it is the only one, correct?

Yes, it is.

#76 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:12 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Yay! I'm 1 for 2

#77 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:16 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Yay! I'm 1 for 2

I think Trachymyrmex septentrionalis Is native to Illinois.

#78 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:19 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
It is, I checked
It's the northern most species of the Trachymyrmex tribe

#79 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:20 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

So why trachymyrmex septentrionalis for a petition?

#80 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:23 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
because it isin't a plant pest, in fact it's quite the opposite. Thus, it should be the same as Pogonomyrmex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users