• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Nylanderia vividula Journal(Comeback!)

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#81 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 22 2020 - 7:57 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Probably close to 800 workers now.  I will be giving them a decent sized firebrick formicarium, instead of an agar setup, as I think they will simply dig up the agar too much.  i will instead use the agar for one or two of my Lasius queens which are known to enjoy high humidity.  In short, they have far outgrown this current setup, and will soon be moving to a new one.  When they do i will be able to get good pictures again, so that is a major bonus. They are surpisingly well adapted to less food, though they seem to have smaller workers.  This is due to the fact that i am extremely busy with schoolwork, and other things.  There is at least 250 workers present in the outworld at all times.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#82 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 23 2020 - 4:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here is a photo dump of mediocre to poor photos:
Less populated tube:

Some swarms:

Worker difference:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#83 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 31 2020 - 8:12 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Printing a formicarium I found on Thingiverse. Perfect size. Should be able to finish the whole thing today or tomorrow. And here is a picture of a swarm:
Excuse the background.

#84 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 31 2020 - 3:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
End of First Hour:

2 and a half hours later:[url=""]

All finished printing:

Edited by NickAnter, January 31 2020 - 3:55 PM.

• Ants4fun, TennesseeAnts and ADHTCIAD like this

#85 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 31 2020 - 3:56 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
All in all, over 8 hours of printing.

#86 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted February 1 2020 - 12:00 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Wow! That looks amazing! :D
  • TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

Spoiler

#87 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 1 2020 - 12:24 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Thank you! I have the nest connected to the outworld, and about 30 ants are currently in it. Hopefully they move overnight. I will give them three days to move, and if not, then Ill just dump the tubes into the outworld, or at least unplug one, so they feel more secure in the new nest. Here are some pictures:

#88 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 1 2020 - 3:51 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow, cool formicarium

• NickAnter likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#89 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 1 2020 - 4:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Disaster! About 60 workers escaped, all over my desk, had to euthanize them, sadly, too fast to catch, and not to mention would take me hours. Dumped the nest inhabitant into the outworld, lost a few more, but they are now under control. Going to have to glue the lid on this time, before I plug the nest back in. That mean Ill have to wait a while.

#90 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 1 2020 - 6:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

All fixed.  Turns out about 100 escaped.  But, the problem was solved by putting two clips on the acrylic to hold it down.  Has been a few hours, and no issues whatsoever. About 100 workers are in the nest.

#91 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 1 2020 - 6:53 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
You could see an ant almost getting out in the previous picture haha. Really clean looking nest though. Great visibility.

#92 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 2 2020 - 10:12 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

How did you get the glass for the nest? did you buy it and get it cut to the dimensions?

#93 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 2 2020 - 10:50 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Not glass, it's acrylic.  My dad already had it, so we just cut the rough shape, and then sanded it down to the right size.  Now, a friction fit would work for the vast majority of ants. However, really tiny ones like my Nylanderia, need something, either screws or clips, to hold the acrylic as far down as possible, to make sure none can get out.  I might change the design, and start selling them. However, that would only be in the summer.  I simply don't have enough time for that in the school year, I have too much homework.

#94 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 7 2020 - 7:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I have started the moving process. I dumped the plastic tube into their outworld.  Hopefully they begin the move.  Light and lack of heat have done nothing to encourage them, sadly.  Tomorrow, I will probably dump the larger tube as well.  When I do that, they will almost certainly move.

#95 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 8 2020 - 12:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nice colony. I was never successful with this species.

Disaster! About 60 workers escaped, all over my desk, had to euthanize them, sadly, too fast to catch, and not to mention would take me hours.

Always have an aspirator handy. I've had to run in the other room and grab mine quite a few times.

• TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

#96 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 8 2020 - 3:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
From henceforth, Nick is the NylanderiaNinja.
  • NickAnter likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#97 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2020 - 8:08 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I have an idea why you were not successful Drew. In the early stages, they need tons of food. Only later on, when they get repletes, can they go a while without food.

Very fitting Ant Drew. I do Kenpo Karate, so....

Also, I dumped the larger tube. They are in the process of moving in. The ones that were dumped yesterday all moved in, so this time it should go quicker, that is, if the queen cooperates.
  • ANTdrew and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#98 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2020 - 9:28 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
The queen has moved! Here is a picture of the nest. Not all workers and brood have been moved yet:

#99 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 8 2020 - 9:31 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

nice

• NickAnter likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#100 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2020 - 10:18 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Her Majesty:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users