• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Nylanderia vividula Journal(Comeback!)

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#61 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 14 2019 - 7:34 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
That would be over 100 flies. Then I wouldn't be able to open the outworld.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#62 Offline antwall - Posted November 14 2019 - 5:32 PM

antwall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
They can easily hunt down all those flies, trust me, I try it. And also, mine don’t seem to like crickets that much.

Edited by antwall, November 14 2019 - 5:35 PM.

Argentine ants are mean.

#63 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 28 2019 - 9:15 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They are still doing incredibly well, have about 150 pupae, and 100 eggs, and 50 larvae, and close to 300 workers. They never refuse food that they enjoy, as always. I put some wet sand in a corner of the outworld, and they dug it up completely.  I am thinking about making a naturalistic setup for them, as I have seen most things happening in terms of inside nest behaviors.  I will  probably use a BoxBox outworld, put something hard in the middle, and fill the edges with a sand/clay mixture, and connect it to the current nest.  I would in turn put the new nest over the heating cable, in the dark, leaving the other one off and in the light.  If, or when this setup is done, I will take a picture.  I will plant some seeds, and transplant some nice grasses into it, as well as this plant that secretes nectar, and relies on ants for pollination.  I will also put some millipedes, possibly centipedes, earwigs, and of course springtails in there as well.  I hope that if this setup is made, it will last them at least a year.  I could also, if I added another outworld, add one with another species, such as Cardiocondyla, to see how they react.  How much space should I allow for in between the glass and hard object in the center?  10mm, 8mm, 15mm?  If you have any other suggestions for plants or other invertebrates to be added, please let me know.  There is not much to take pictures of, as the tube is so darn dirty.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#64 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 28 2019 - 6:51 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

They can easily hunt down all those flies, trust me, I try it. And also, mine don’t seem to like crickets that much.

If you released an entire fly culture into the outworld, you could give them a piece of fruit every once and a while and the ants would be practically self feeding.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#65 Offline antwall - Posted November 28 2019 - 10:39 PM

antwall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you released an entire fly culture into the outworld, you could give them a piece of fruit every once and a while and the ants would be practically self feeding.

The ants would chase the flies away from the fruit, or kill all the flies. Trust me, I tried.
Argentine ants are mean.

#66 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 29 2019 - 3:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It seems to me that a BoxBox container is too small for what you’re envisioning. There wouldn’t be enough soil for live plants. I would say forego the plants or find a larger container. More space would allow the other inhabitants to hide from the ants easier as well. In any case, I’d definitely like to see pictures of the colony.

Edited by ANTdrew, November 29 2019 - 3:11 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#67 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2019 - 7:24 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
No, these plants are incredibly small(they live in small cracks in concrete) And they both respond well to trimming. I have tested this. I might end up using two that are connected, as it will give, as you said, the other insects more area to hide, and room for more plants. Though, I don't think the would kill millipedes. They only attack if the insect in question is fast moving. Centipedes would probably be an issue, not to mention my mom probably wouldn't ket me take them in the house, as she is rather afraid of them. I totally forgot about this, so I will scratch the centipede plan. I am thinking of using a firebrick to put in the center of the container, after heating, it will take on a far lighter color that is has a nice light color, easily contrasting with the ants. And I will get a picture posted by the end of the day.

#68 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2019 - 6:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here they are:

#69 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2019 - 6:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Sorry for poor quality.  I can't show colony size with my macro lens, and this phone is terrible unless it is really close up macro.  :mad:

#70 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 3 2019 - 2:02 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
And I bet they are super hyped given that Nylanderia are called crazy ants.
  • NickAnter likes this

#71 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 3 2019 - 6:22 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Very correct Kael.  And, exactly as I hoped, they are exhibiting a decent degree of worker size variation, some being about twice the size of others.  (y)

#72 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 15 2019 - 11:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, they are still booming.  Probably about 400 workers now, and the whole bottom of their original glass tube is covered in brood.  There are about 50 workers in the outworld at all times.  They can take down live crickets, wild caught  So far they have taken down and killed two of them, without any assistance.  They chase it around until one can latch on, and spray formic acid.  They usually can do so first on the antennae, reducing the crickets agility.  It goes downhill for the cricket from there.   I have started on the terrarium, which only has a sand layer, which is 1cm thick, a big green caterpillar, two crickets, and many green leaves, for the caterpillar, who is taking residence there until it pupates. When it does so, I will add the dirt, which will be mixed with sand.  I have captured some millipedes and have them housed in a snap cap vial filled with dirt.  They too will be added when half the dirt is poured, keeping them safe from the ants, hopefully.  All in all, this colony is doing incredible,as always  And the queen is hidden now, they have dug into the cotton where I cannot see, and I suspect she is there, or under the pile of brood.  :)

Edited by NickAnter, December 15 2019 - 11:43 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#73 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 18 2019 - 6:23 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
This lid of the outworld is so annoying. Through the course of the colony probably 50 workers have gotten stuck in the gap and died. And as the colony gets bigger, more die. Really frustrating. But, they are still doing well. I revise my count to 350, with about 250 brood. Here are some pics:

Sorry for the poor quality. It is impossible to open the lid while holding a phone and not lose over 30 workers.

Edited by NickAnter, March 16 2020 - 7:27 AM.

#74 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 19 2019 - 3:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s why I don’t like lids as a containment strategy, especially for small ants.
  • NickAnter likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#75 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 19 2019 - 4:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

And they can scale right up fluon it seems. Very frustrating.

#76 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 21 2019 - 10:39 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, they have quite the graveyard, and are probably down to 340, but the queen laid about 300 new eggs, and they still have many larvae and pupae. Should be at 500 in no time.

Edited by NickAnter, March 16 2020 - 7:28 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#77 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 21 2019 - 11:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Photos?

#78 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:42 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Photos are hard to do currently.  There are so many of them running around, and the sides of the container are smudged,  so all photos are horrendous.  Video gives a good idea, but I don't have a way of posting the videos.  Also, deaths seem to have been fully balanced by the large amount of newly eclosed workers, most of which are smaller that the previous generation, probably due to less food, as for a little while, I was very busy with homework.  Our load has thankfully been decreased.  They now have over 100 workers in the outworld at all times, probably close to 200 now.  The queen is now impossible to see, as there is a small chamber in the cotton where she now resides hidden from view  I would estimate there worker count to be around 600 now.  They have roughly 75 more pupae, 75 medium to large larvae, and 150 small larvae.  I would stick my phone in, but they would be swarming out of the container  I am very tempted to put them in a medium sized terrarium, and see how big they can get, and witness some more natural behaviors. They are so incredibly aggressive now, I don't think that argentines could possibly hurt them now.  Not to mention the speed of them.  And their incredible alarm system.  As soon as one worker is hurt, it's like someone knocked over a whole spiral of dominoes.  They just move about like crazy, all rushing to attack anything, sometimes even mistaking other workers for enemies momentarily.

• ANTdrew likes this

#79 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 9 2020 - 6:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
These sound like my kind of ants: small, active, and fast growing.
  • NickAnter likes this

#80 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 10 2020 - 12:09 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

These sound like my kind of ants: small, active, and fast growing.

Yep. Those are the types of ants I like too.
  • ANTdrew likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users