• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Preferred Food by Species

feeding food eat preferred

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 5 2014 - 9:53 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hopefully...

#22 Offline Tpro4 - Posted December 5 2014 - 4:34 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Contact me when they fly, I'll be over to catch them w/ u they my dream species
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#23 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 5 2014 - 5:00 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Really? I never heard of someone's dream species being a 1-2mm ant... :thinking:

• PTAntFan and thosaka like this

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 5 2014 - 8:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Really? I never heard of someone's dream species being a 1-2mm ant... :thinking:

:lol: :P

• SurfingTangents likes this

#25 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 5 2014 - 8:57 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Honestly, mine are Atta sp. But I also love Myrmecocystus, other Attine, Cephalotes, and Odontomachus. Actually, all larger Ponerine ants are cool...

#26 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 5 2014 - 9:00 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Tpro, I do not want to pull this topic too off topic, but if a yellow Solenopsis species is what you are aiming for, then strive for Solenopsis aurea, or amblychilla.

#27 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 3 2015 - 8:07 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Do you think Californicus will eat earthworms?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 4 2015 - 7:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm not sure. I'd imagine they would. Try it and see.

#29 Offline dean_k - Posted January 4 2015 - 7:04 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

If it's harvester species, all they need is seeds, no ? Plus some sugar water. I don't see any need to make the nest messy by introducing them any insects or worms but they will probably take it. I think all ants will readily accept eatable insects.

#30 Offline cpman - Posted May 26 2015 - 6:52 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I can report that both Camponotus sayi and my Camponotus sp. 2  both love a simple mix I came up with for them -- protein shake mixed with 2 times its weight in table sugar and dissolved in water. The mix is then heated until it boils. It solidifies at this point due to denaturation of the whey protein. This results in a 3:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio in the case of the shake that I used. Both species recruited ants to the mix within seconds. Granted, neither colony had had any food before this, but they are currently engorging their gasters with it!

#31 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 26 2015 - 9:32 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm assuming the 3:1 refers to 3 parts carbohydrate rich food and 1 part protein rich food, and not actual carbohydrates to protein. Is that right?

#32 Offline cpman - Posted May 27 2015 - 11:28 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
It is pretty close to 3:1 actual carbs to protein. The shake powder is meant for human consumption so it has nutrition information. It is 65% protein. I then added table sugar, which is basically pure carbs. I weighed out enough protein shake powder so that the ratio was 3:1. I didn't bother adding the carbs in the protein shake, so if that is factored in the ratio is more like 3.3:1.

#33 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2015 - 11:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What are the listed ingredients in the protein?

• AntTeen804 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#34 Offline cpman - Posted May 27 2015 - 5:24 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
The protein source in the shake is listed as unfiltered whey protein concentrate and microfiltered whey protein concentrate.
The other ingredients are maltodextrin, flavoring, cellulose gum, soy lecithin, xanthan gum, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose.

When you take the carbs from the shake into account the final ratio of carbs to protein is 3.32:1.

The only thing I added to this was table sugar. I then heated it to pasteurize it, and in the process, protein got denatured making it solidify.
I know what everything is except the flavorants.

Edited by cpman, May 27 2015 - 5:27 PM.

#35 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2015 - 5:50 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You should attempt to find a protein powder that does not list sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, or other artificial sugars in the ingredients.  I feel like I've read that these artificial sugars act as insecticides, but I'd have to locate what I read since it was long ago.

I just know I try to avoid those ingredients.

Maltodextrin, cellulose gum, soy lecithin, and xanthan gum are all texturizers, and should be fine.  The other ingredients, other than sucralose and AceK, help with stability.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 27 2015 - 5:52 PM.

• BugFinder and cpman like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#36 Offline cpman - Posted May 27 2015 - 6:11 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

The one artificial sugar I've hear of being insecticidal is erythritol. I normally wouldn't have used something with artificial sweeteners, but I had some lying around which is why I used it. The artificial sweeteners were the last two ingredients, so I imagine that they are used in really small quantities compared to the other stuff. I'm more worried about the flavorants doing something to the ants, as they are the third listed ingredient.

However, none of the ants I fed it to seem to have any ill effects today. In fact, one of the queens laid a HUGE clutch of eggs last night.

#37 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2015 - 6:28 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The "flavoring" is probably artificial vanilla—vanillin.  The milk proteins I source use a "natural vanilla flavor," which is what you should look for if you want to be on the safe side.

I do not know if vanillin is harmful to ants, but its readily found in "Artificial Vanilla Flavor Extract," so testing shouldn't prove too difficult.

• cpman likes this

#38 Offline cpman - Posted May 27 2015 - 6:41 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

It does smell like vanilla. I know that vanillin occurs naturally in pine trees and other places. As far as I know, it is relatively nontoxic to large animals, but I'm unsure of its effect on insects. I have seen ants crawling up and down on pine trees whose bark has so much vanillin that it smells like vanilla.

#39 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 2 2015 - 1:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I found that Pheidole hyatti really like peanuts. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same for other species of Pheidole too.

#40 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 2 2015 - 2:53 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Sorry for the lazy question, but does a semi-claustral queen eat the same things that are listed in the list above?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeding, food, eat, preferred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users