• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnts' Ant Journals (Everything Died)

ant journal antdude ants tennesseeants

• Please log in to reply
1106 replies to this topic

#841 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 25 2020 - 11:29 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Do you guys know if P. tysoni is polygynous?

Idk. That's why I put mine together.

#842 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 14 2020 - 9:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Or we could start a petition to exempt a few species. A few I would do are: Prenolepis imparis, Camponotus americanus, Camponotus castaneus, Camponotus pennslyvanicus, Camponotus chromaiodes,
Camponotus fragilis, Pogonomyrmex badius, Lasius americanus, Lasius brevicornis, Lasius neoniger, Formica pacifica, Formica pallidefullva, Formica neogagates, Formica subsericea, Formica obscuripes, Formica neorufibarbis, Pseudomyrmex gracilis, Acromyrmex versicolor, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Odontomachus bruennus, Colobopsis impressa, Colobopsis obliqua Colobopsis mississippiensis.

Did you ever get anywhere with this? Just curious.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#843 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 14 2020 - 9:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Well some of those are plant pests so I don’t think they would be exempted.

#844 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 14 2020 - 9:44 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationOhio

The only plant pest I see would be Acromyrmex.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#845 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 14 2020 - 10:19 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Or we could start a petition to exempt a few species. A few I would do are: Prenolepis imparis, Camponotus americanus, Camponotus castaneus, Camponotus pennslyvanicus, Camponotus chromaiodes,
Camponotus fragilis, Pogonomyrmex badius, Lasius americanus, Lasius brevicornis, Lasius neoniger, Formica pacifica, Formica pallidefullva, Formica neogagates, Formica subsericea, Formica obscuripes, Formica neorufibarbis, Pseudomyrmex gracilis, Acromyrmex versicolor, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Odontomachus bruennus, Colobopsis impressa, Colobopsis obliqua Colobopsis mississippiensis.

Did you ever get anywhere with this? Just curious.

Nope. I never got anywhere at all.

#846 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 14 2020 - 10:52 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

The only plant pest I see would be Acromyrmex.

That’s also the only one I see. I just skimmed before so I didn’t know if there were more. That’s why I said that.

#847 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 14 2020 - 12:22 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I suppose they consider any species that farms and protects aphids (which can be very destructive especially if they have ants defending them from predators) a plant pest.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkid12 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#848 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 14 2020 - 1:59 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I suppose they consider any species that farms and protects aphids (which can be very destructive especially if they have ants defending them from predators) a plant pest.

All ants (besides Pogonomyrmex occidentalis) are plant pests according to the USDA. One reason the govt. needs to get off the couch and fix these blanket-laws. 

• AnthonyP163, AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#849 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 14 2020 - 3:38 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

All ants (besides Pogonomyrmex occidentalis) are plant pests according to the USDA. One reason the govt. needs to get off the couch and fix these blanket-laws. 

I agree. And I also don't completely understand their reasoning concerning P. occidentalis. I mean, if you released a P. occidentalis colony and a Lasius americanus colony into an Illinois cornfield, which one do you think would do more damage? A Lasius sp. or a literally SEED HARVESTER? Imo P. occidentalis is a plant pest.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkid12 and TechAnt like this

#850 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 14 2020 - 3:43 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I agree. And I also don't completely understand their reasoning concerning P. occidentalis. I mean, if you released a P. occidentalis colony and a Lasius americanus colony into an Illinois cornfield, which one do you think would do more damage? A Lasius sp. or a literally SEED HARVESTER? Imo P. occidentalis is a plant pest.

Shhh! Don't let them hear you!

• AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#851 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 14 2020 - 3:56 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Well Pogonomyrmex do actually help the environment because any seeds they can’t eat will sprout and grow. In fact this is how all harvester ants help the environment. So they sort of give back, but I get your statement, would you rather buy something and get 50 cents back or a full dollar back in change for the same product at the same price.

I also agree that they should have people look over all the ants in the U.S. and decide if they are a plant pest or not. Even if they do that stuff like Acromyrmex will never be cleared to ship around the U.S. unfortunately, but there is a fair reason for it.
  • AntsDakota likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#852 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 14 2020 - 4:01 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationOhio
Pogonomyrmex occidentalis are surprisingly low risk when it comes to becoming invasive. They have very specific habitat requirements that many areas even within their native range can't provide. I know someone in Colorado who tried to seed them into his yard for many years, even releasing 3 year old colonies, and yet none could survive.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkid12 and TechAnt like this

#853 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 5 2020 - 10:51 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 9/5/20

Pheidole tysoni

--------------------

One queen remains, so it is safe to conclude that these (at least my variety) is not polygynous. She has a nice pile of brood, and about 15 workers. I am not confident in the survival of the colony, however, as the queen is missing a few tibiae...

Pheidole bicarinata

-------------------------

In this colony 2 queens remain, with a promising amount of brood and about 25 workers. I am a slight bit optimistic that these could possibly be polygynous. They have their first major larvae, and possibly a major pupa. This colony seems promising!

Pheidole dentata

----------------------

This colony has taken off, and they now have rebound back to about 300 workers, with new majors popping up every couple days. I found a dead Tennessee Shad when I went fishing the other day, and fed it to this colony. I also decided to give them a dead Crayfish, which they loved. They have somewhere around 250 or so larvae and pupae and a small batch of eggs.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#854 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 5 2020 - 10:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Also, I have an update video coming out, starring my one and only Solenopsis molesta colony, so look out for that later this evening!

• CatsnAnts likes this

#855 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 5 2020 - 11:56 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Here y 'all go! It's a little early, but it's fine. Lol.

• AntsDakota likes this

#856 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 5 2020 - 12:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Woah! An update!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#857 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 5 2020 - 12:38 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Woah! An update!

Yeah, most of my ants are still doing good, but I've been busy with other things recently. Just haven't had much time to upload videos or write out updates.

#858 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 7 2020 - 7:38 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 9/7/20

Pheidole bicarinata

-------------------------

The colony still has 2 queens, one winged and one without wings. They're up to around 25-30 workers, with a good brood pile. Oh yeah, guess what I saw in the tube today... A major larva and pupa! The pupa is still very white, so it probably just transformed. The larva is getting ready to pupate as well. In a little less than a week they should have 2 teeny majors!

• CatsnAnts, ANTdrew and Antkid12 like this

#859 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 8 2020 - 10:05 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!!!! got any pics? My pheidole bicarinata have their second major pupae.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#860 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 8 2020 - 1:32 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Nice!!!! got any pics? My pheidole bicarinata have their second major pupae.

I'll try to get some tonight. 

• Antkid12 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal, antdude, ants, tennesseeants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users