• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

664 replies to this topic

#581 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 28 2022 - 10:48 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Gyne is definitely alive then. Nice!

#582 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 5 2022 - 7:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-5-2022

Time to stop griping and get off our gasters with better content on here. To that end, here's an update on my Divas. They have been extremely active lately and very focused on brood growth. This is actually my favorite time of year to keep this species since they become so voracious. Midsummer would be my least favorite time due to their usually taking a break from colony growth.

They currently have at least six or seven fat queen larvae, and perhaps there are even more I can't see in the mess of ants. Lots of new workers are eclosing as well, so instead of giving up on this colony like I was planning to do just a few weeks ago, I now have some hope for them. Queen Sigyn could very possibly still be in there, but in Loch Ness Monster mode. It would be really cool, though, to see if they had mated intranidally. In that case, I might be the first person to document it for this species. Myrmicines do many weird and wonderful things, so who knows? I'll have to wait and see what keeps developing for them. They're new powerfeeding regimen should help with whatever they're up to.

Here's a better photo of some of the queen larvae. There's some even bigger ones just behind this scrum of workers.

IMG 2298

Here's one of Sigyn's daughters from last season. Could she be inseminated and producing now? One always has to keep hope alive...
IMG 2324

• Mettcollsuss, Kaelwizard, Temperateants and 6 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#583 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 5 2022 - 11:52 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Update 4-5-2022

Time to stop griping and get off our gasters with better content on here. To that end, here's an update on my Divas. They have been extremely active lately and very focused on brood growth. This is actually my favorite time of year to keep this species since they become so voracious. Midsummer would be my least favorite time due to their usually taking a break from colony growth.

They currently have at least six or seven fat queen larvae, and perhaps there are even more I can't see in the mess of ants. Lots of new workers are eclosing as well, so instead of giving up on this colony like I was planning to do just a few weeks ago, I now have some hope for them. Queen Sigyn could very possibly still be in there, but in Loch Ness Monster mode. It would be really cool, though, to see if they had mated intranidally. In that case, I might be the first person to document it for this species. Myrmicines do many weird and wonderful things, so who knows? I'll have to wait and see what keeps developing for them. They're new powerfeeding regimen should help with whatever they're up to.

Here's a better photo of some of the queen larvae. There's some even bigger ones just behind this scrum of workers.

Here's one of Sigyn's daughters from last season. Could she be inseminated and producing now? One always has to keep hope alive...

I really hope Sigyn is still alive in there. If not, has it ever been observed in nature that the queen's daughter can "inherit the throne?"

• Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and m99 like this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#584 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 5 2022 - 12:49 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Hey, maybe she's in the very back sitting on a throne made of brood...wait ants can't really "sit" can they?

• Kaelwizard, ANTdrew, m99 and 1 other like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#585 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 5 2022 - 2:20 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I really hope Sigyn is still alive in there. If not, has it ever been observed in nature that the queen's daughter can "inherit the throne?"

Well there are gamergates, and even if you're only talking about queen alates, there are inbreeding species, so sort of. But inbreeding species are all already polygynous, and the in-nest mating just increases the number of queens, doesn't replace them. So to my knowledge there hasn't been a case where a monogynous species has a single queen alate mate in the nest to replace the mother queen.

• Kaelwizard and Temperateants like this

#586 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 5 2022 - 3:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Well there are gamergates, and even if you're only talking about queen alates, there are inbreeding species, so sort of. But inbreeding species are all already polygynous, and the in-nest mating just increases the number of queens, doesn't replace them. So to my knowledge there hasn't been a case where a monogynous species has a single queen alate mate in the nest to replace the mother queen.
So what is your theory about what is going on here, Mett?
I’d love to hear theories from other folks like Cheeto, Anthony, or TennesseeAnts as well.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 5 2022 - 3:20 PM.

• Kaelwizard and Temperateants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#587 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 5 2022 - 4:09 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Well as others have mentioned, it would be the first record of something like this happening so that makes it seem unlikely to me, though I guess nothing is impossible. The original queen still being alive seems the most likely to me. I guess in a couple weeks we'll see whether that mass of eggs are worker or male eggs. If they turn out to be workers and the colony, one way or another, has an egg-laying queen, I don't know how one would even tell if it's the original queen or a new one.

• ANTdrew and Temperateants like this

#588 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 6 2022 - 6:06 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

So what is your theory about what is going on here, Mett?
I’d love to hear theories from other folks like Cheeto, Anthony, or TennesseeAnts as well.

I remember Otter has had a colony of these produce inbred fertilized alates (although I think he removed them), so I don't think it's impossible someone took over.

• Temperateants and FloridaAnts like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#589 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 6 2022 - 7:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! For real? I need to get in touch with him then.
  • Temperateants likes this

#590 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 13 2022 - 8:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-13-2022

Happy Friday the 13th, all. As I track the progress of the this colony recently, the glimmer of hope I had a few weeks ago that they still have a producing queen is starting to fade. They have still have massive brood pile, but it is entirely made up of males at this point. The few queens and new workers that eclosed lately must have been laid last fall before the incident happened when I lost track of Sigyn. The upside is they will probably be able to stage a good nuptial flight this year if I figure out how to make that happen, but I'm leaning towards moving on from this colony to make room for a new one. Here are some brood photos and a GIF. Try to find the males.

IMG 2626

IMG 2627

IMG 2629

• Antkeeper01, UtahAnts, m99 and 1 other like this

#591 Offline UtahAnts - Posted May 13 2022 - 1:00 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Awesome GIF! How did you make it?

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#592 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 13 2022 - 1:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks! I shot a video with my phone and a macro lens. Then I uploaded it to ezgif.com and converted it.
  • UtahAnts likes this

#593 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 14 2022 - 6:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Interesting... Are you planning on keeping them much longer? I'd be interested to see what happens with all those new males.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, May 14 2022 - 6:03 AM.

#594 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 14 2022 - 6:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t know, man. I feel like releasing them, so they can stage one last nuptial flight before marching off into the sunset.

#595 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 14 2022 - 6:25 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
I am a bit new on formiculture, so excuse me if I am wrong, but I read in someone’s Dorymyrmex bureni journal that their colony produced tons of males and no workers throughout the summer-And still had a queen(And had 20 workers)

It seems unlikely though if you hadn’t had a production of males this big in the past… why would it happen now?

#596 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 14 2022 - 8:15 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I don't know about with Crematogaster, but some of my other colonies that have produced alates would alternate between primarily producing males and primarily producing females each year. The first year my Pheidole dentata produced alates they only had a few males and a couple dozen females, but the next year they swapped and made probably about a hundred males and a handful of females.
  • ANTdrew, m99 and FloridaAnts like this

#597 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 14 2022 - 1:15 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I have a possible situation.

Now like Tennessee ants, I am not sure about Crematogaster but…

Recently my 3 (One alate)queen S invicta colony was doing well, and so I thought nothing to check on them once a week… until I did… the alate had shedded 3/4 wings and the tube was filled with male pupae, and some worker pupae. I thought the workers would kill the unmated queen, but no. They ate the brood, but I still watch food get wasted on infertile eggs. Maybe a unmated alate became a “dominant” queen, so the workers killed the queen? Maybe the queen is still alive, just not getting much care, and so, not producing many eggs. (Due to a dominant unmated alate)

#598 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 10 2022 - 6:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Reboot Back in Black! 9-10-2022

I told y'all kids I wasn't going to give up on my favorite genus of ants, so here I am back to reboot this journal with a new set of Divas!
AC/DC - Back In Black (Official Video) - YouTube

Meet Queen Della. She's got a nice backstory: my buddy found her at the beach back in mid-July when she landed on him. He carried her around for a week in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel in it while he enjoyed his vacation. She even went on a fishing boat at some point. When he got back, I picked her up and got her in a proper test tube. She promptly laid eggs and got her first workers in early August.

IMG 3512

The colony is growing well now and currently has 11 workers and a healthy brood pile. The weird flight time has me doubting these are cerasi, but I'll need to get some under a microscope when the colony gets bigger. I have high hopes for the colony, and I plan to learn from all my past mistakes with Sigyn. Stay tuned!

IMG 3637
IMG 3679

I also found seven new C. cerasi queens over the past few weeks, so my Crematogaster slump is officially over.

Attached Images

• EFBA6068-B8C5-4CB0-A0F1-DDA480C45091.gif

Edited by ANTdrew, September 10 2022 - 7:14 AM.

• AnthonyP163 and ColAnt735 like this

#599 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted September 10 2022 - 9:49 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Hoping for another 30 pages of pure Crematogaster content! 

• ANTdrew likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#600 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 10 2022 - 10:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hoping for another 30 pages of pure Crematogaster content!

You know it, my friend!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users