• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

664 replies to this topic

#601 Offline UtahAnts - Posted September 10 2022 - 10:49 AM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley
Awesome start to a new age for the divas!

My question is how did your friend manage to contain a Crematogaster queen for a week in a Ziploc? The bag containment method has always failed me, and I also use damp paper towels. I've lost Solenopsis, Camponotus, Liometopum and Lasius queens on separate occasions when I try to contain queens while camping. I've even double bagged, and they still escape by morning. The fact that a Crematogaster queen didn't chew out is pretty impressive, she probably knew to stay in the bag, so she would be featured in this ongoing saga or something.

• ANTdrew likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#602 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 10 2022 - 10:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
In my experience, Crematogaster queens are pretty chill animals. She must have just felt comfy in the bag, or maybe she was enjoying the beach trip? Haha
  • VenomousBeast and UtahAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#603 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted September 10 2022 - 3:36 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Divas! Divas! Divas! I can’t wait to see how these colonies turn out!
  • ANTdrew likes this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#604 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 12 2022 - 10:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-12-2022

It's already been a month since I rebooted this journal. Queen Della and her colony are doing very well with lots of brood and new workers. The most recently eclosed workers are now full sized. I still need to get some under a microscope to figure out her exact species, but I'll make time for that soon. I will be putting the colony in diapause pretty soon once it gets cool enough in my parents' basement. I'm looking forward to a great second season with this colony. 

IMG 3937
IMG 3935
IMG 3934
IMG 3936

• VenomousBeast, UtahAnts and AntsCali098 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#605 Offline T.C. - Posted October 14 2022 - 1:06 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

What kind of phone do you have? Put some led lights over the setup and a lot of the newer phones have pretty fair macro ability. I have been able to get close enough to non ID'd species with my phone to find out. 

• ANTdrew likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#606 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 14 2022 - 1:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What kind of phone do you have? Put some led lights over the setup and a lot of the newer phones have pretty fair macro ability. I have been able to get close enough to non ID'd species with my phone to find out.

I have an iPhone SE.
  • VenomousBeast likes this

#607 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 9 2022 - 7:26 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Update! This is an awesome journal! Great job!

• ANTdrew likes this

#608 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 9 2022 - 7:49 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This colony is currently in diapause in my parents’ basement. I expect great things from them next season- and from a new queen I will found in 2023.
  • VenomousBeast likes this

#609 Offline T.C. - Posted December 9 2022 - 9:16 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

This colony is currently in diapause in my parents’ basement. I expect great things from them next season- and from a new queen I will found in 2023.

Make AntDrews Crematogaster Colony Great Again! 

• ANTdrew likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#610 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 10 2022 - 2:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
MACCGA!
  • TennesseeAnts, VenomousBeast and antsriondel like this

#611 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 30 2023 - 6:00 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Update? Are these out of hibernation?

Edited by antsriondel, January 30 2023 - 6:01 PM.

#612 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 30 2023 - 6:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
No, not yet. I took out one new queen to let her found a colony, though.
  • VenomousBeast and antsriondel like this

#613 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 20 2023 - 11:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 2-20-23

I checked on Queen Della and her 2.0 Divas today, and they are doing well in diapause. I plan on giving them a few more weeks of rest before putting them back on heat. I look forward to making a nicer setup for them to upgrade from their current test tube. 

I have a new queen I collected last fall in an incubator now as well. She's been heated for three weeks now, but still has no eggs. I hope she is not a dud since I sold all my other queens to Stateside Ants! Oh well....

• VenomousBeast, AntBoi3030 and AntsCali098 like this

#614 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted February 20 2023 - 3:59 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Are these fun to keep? Thinking of getting a C.cerasi colony, which I assume is quite similar to divas.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#615 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 20 2023 - 4:49 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Are these fun to keep? Thinking of getting a C.cerasi colony, which I assume is quite similar to divas.

The Divas are C. cerasi, and yes! This species is the very definition of “fun to keep.”
  • VenomousBeast and AntsCali098 like this

#616 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted February 21 2023 - 10:24 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Cool, I'll try them out in the future. Good luck with your colony/queens.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#617 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2023 - 5:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-1-2023

Happy meteorological spring, everyone! Quick update to say that the new queen I found last September now has a nice egg pile. This queen was found while camping in Prince William National Forest over the Labor Day weekend. She does not seem to be a dud after all. 

• TennesseeAnts, VenomousBeast and AntBoi3030 like this

#618 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2023 - 8:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-15-2023

It is the Ides of March, beware! It's also time to start waking up my colonies from diapause, so I've started bringing some home from my parents' cold basement. Queen Della is now back on my ant shelves, and I'm happy to say that the colony made it safely through diapause with no losses and a small brood pile. I'm hopeful that colony growth will ramp up this season, and I also plan to get these under a microscope soon to finally verify their species since a couple of factors make me suspect they might not be C. cerasi. I have a nice Antpartment nest on standby for when this colony grows a bit more. 

IMG 4777

The image above shows my newest queen and her growing brood pile. I'm very pleased with her progress so far. She is pleasantly thicc at the moment. I have a great name ready for her if I end up keeping her, so stay tuned. 

Edited by ANTdrew, March 15 2023 - 8:02 AM.

• VenomousBeast and Antbay like this

#619 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 15 2023 - 8:32 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I am at a point with my crema that there is a nest size limit and outworld ratio. Essentially, I have about the same amount of workers inside and outside the nest. I have capped outworlds to all my ants and culled them for population control. 

Edited by aznphenom, March 15 2023 - 8:56 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#620 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2023 - 9:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-23-23

My Crematogaster are crushing it at the moment. I checked my newest queen last night, and she got her first three minims at some point this week. A fourth one should eclose any day now. I fed them a drop of Sunburst nectar, and I'll need to figure out an outworld for them soon. There is something wrong with my clip on macro lens, so I haven't gotten good photos of them yet. 

Queen Della is fully active now and foraging has gotten back to normal levels. I've been feeding these dubia roach chunks, which they are eagerly feeding on. These are enjoying the heat in my kitchen, which is where I've relocated all my ants shelves. Here are some feeding time photos from last night:

IMG 4842
IMG 4841

• Ernteameise likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users