• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

667 replies to this topic

#201 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 27 2020 - 3:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I think anywhere between 85 and 90 makes for the fastest development.
  • ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#202 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 27 2020 - 4:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good point. The box is back to the mid-80s with the foil removed. I didn’t want to risk getting the tubes too hot. No doubt the Cremas loved it, though.

Another update: a new Nucleus THA nest is in the mail for Sigyn. I will wake her up once it arrives. More updates to come!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#203 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 27 2020 - 4:28 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

She's a lucky gal to have a good god/dad like you 

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#204 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 28 2020 - 11:16 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
ANTdrew! I found a new Crematogaster cf. lineolata queen the other day and she needs a name.

Great job with your colonies btw. It looks like they're doing well!
  • ANTdrew likes this

#205 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 28 2020 - 11:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thank you, Sensei. I can't wait to get them into the new Nucleus and wake them up.

Name your new queen Wealhtheow, after the queen of Hrothgar in Beowulf.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#206 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 28 2020 - 3:12 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

her name translate to treasure bearer 

• ANTdrew likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#207 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 28 2020 - 3:37 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
If eggs are treasure, the name certainly fits.
  • ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#208 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 29 2020 - 3:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

her name translate to treasure bearer

Now you’re following my language!
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#209 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 29 2020 - 5:57 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I just googled the name and watched a video, but defiantly interesting 

#210 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 29 2020 - 6:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You’ll read Beowulf sooner or later as you continue your schooling. Definitely a classic. I’m thinking of using another name from it for my new Crema queen, Hygd, queen of the Geats.

#211 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2020 - 2:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Mini-update-
I brought Sigyn home today from my parents’ basement, and they seem to be doing well. I’m still amazed how the colony survived with basically no extra moisture all winter. I’ll go through the daunting process of dumping them into their new Nucleus soon. Stay posted for updates and photos!
  • TennesseeAnts and Boog like this

#212 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 7 2020 - 3:41 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

keep us posted! I for one am intrigued 

• ANTdrew likes this

#213 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 3:53 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I’ll go through the daunting process of dumping them into their new Nucleus soon.

I hope your arm comes out in one piece.......  :lol:

• ANTdrew likes this

#214 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2020 - 4:42 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, my marriage, too.
  • Boog, AntsDakota, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 3 others like this

#215 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 8 2020 - 5:08 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

That's the funniest thing I think I've ever heard lmao :rofl:

#216 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 8 2020 - 2:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-8-2020

A new chapter in Sigyn's life started last night when I moved them out of the ancient test tubes they've been in for over a year and into a luxurious Type III Nucleus. Once I got the colony home, I placed them in a mini-fridge that was in the upper 30s F to really chill them out. Dumping their tubes was incredibly easy because they all just slid out in a big ball with most of their brood in the middle. A few eggs were still stuck to the tube, so I did my best to fish them out using my trusty woodpecker feather.

Ball of frigid ants post-dump:

I set the nest on a heat cable and put a flashing Maglite over the foraging area to encourage their move down into the nest. When I woke up, nothing had really happened other than all the ants bunching up in the corners of the out-world. After church, the situation was the same, which was when I realized a wad of cotton was blocking the tube down! I pulled this out with some pliers and lamented my dimwittedness.

It took most of Sunday to finally get them all to move down. I basically blew on the groupings of ants with a straw every twenty minutes or so to discomfort them and make them explore more. After hiking with my kids, I came home to find the colony finally moved in - but there was a new problem! There is a tiny gap between the nest and the back glass just like some forum members mentioned the day before! I found a few Cremas wandering about, which is never a good sign, so I decided to seal up any possible gaps with a hot glue gun for more peace of mind. These are Crematogasters, after all!

Here is the gap:

I will contact Mack about this tomorrow. The best part of the whole thing was seeing Sigyn again for the first time since early May! Here she is with a massive overwintered brood pile:

Attached Images

• IMG-6625.JPG

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:07 AM.

• nurbs, Canadant, skocko76 and 5 others like this

#217 Offline Boog - Posted March 9 2020 - 12:22 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Cool! Can't wait to see them fill out that nest, let's hope that gap was just a one off...

• ANTdrew likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#218 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2020 - 4:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-10-2020

Things are going well for all my Crematogasters, old and new. Sigyn is adjusting to the new Nucleus, and I have the escape problem solved for the time being with the hot glue. I went to PetSmart yesterday and bought a mini heat pad that's about 3x6". I tried sticking it on the back of the Nucleus, but the adhesive it comes with isn't doing the trick, so it keeps peeling off. The ants are loving the heat, though, and clustering up on the heated sides.

The one thing I'm concerned about is that they aren't showing much interest in the dubia roach or the mealworm I gave them. Maybe they just need to warm up a bit or fully wake up from diapause?

I got a great surprise from one of my new queens last night as well: the first new nanitics of the year! That was about six weeks from when I pulled out the queen to first workers. I counted three nanitics with several dark pupae that should eclose any day now. I opened up their tube to slip in a nectar soaked paper towel piece and a bit of mealworm. I think I'll set them up with a small outworld ASAP, so they can have constant access to nectar. I think this must be a highly productive queen. :good2:

• TennesseeAnts and Boog like this

#219 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2020 - 10:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Addendum:

I also forgot to mention that the Nerdbox neoniger queen laid a bunch of eggs, finally. I'm cautiously optimistic for her again.

#220 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:38 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
In my experience Lasius spend a ridiculous amount of time in the egg stage.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users