• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

667 replies to this topic

#181 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 13 2020 - 11:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 1-13-2020

I checked up on my divas this weekend, and they're looking great. They are still in diapause in my parents' basement. I'm amazed by how little moisture these ants need because both of the tubes they are inhabiting are totally dry now. Like other forum members have noted, these all form a big ball during hibernation, so I'm going to take advantage to finally dump them out of their old tubes. They have hundreds of tiny brood and probably more than a thousand workers by now.

Their outpost in the bead container:

My new 2019 queens are looking great as well. They remain in my mini-fridge at 44-46deg. I'm thinking about trying to make some DIY founding formicariums like the THA discus or Atom. I'm thinking that just putting a couple of nestmates in there would be plenty for hydration, with the benefit that they would be refillable during the long founding process. Has anyone out there made their own founding nests? The designs seem really simple to replicate with hydrostone.

• TennesseeAnts, rbarreto, Boog and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#182 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 13 2020 - 3:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Aw... they look so cute in their ball.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#183 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Everything about these ants is cute...until they escape.
  • TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and azzaaazzzz00 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#184 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Ouch..... (literally)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#185 Offline Boog - Posted January 14 2020 - 5:36 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I'm thinking about trying to make some DIY founding formicariums like the THA discus or Atom. I'm thinking that just putting a couple of nestmates in there would be plenty for hydration, with the benefit that they would be refillable during the long founding process. Has anyone out there made their own founding nests? The designs seem really simple to replicate with hydrostone.

That would be cool to see your founding nest DIY attempts! I finally got to see Tar Heel Ants nests first-hand as gifts to myself for the holidays (hehe), they're quite nice to handle! I've got an Atom nest, Discus and others and some aspects of them seem simple to replicate. My colony hasn't moved into my Atom yet and the Discus I'm saving for later so I haven't experienced keeping ants in them but I'm impressed with their build and taking inspiration on what I could replicate myself.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#186 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 28 2020 - 8:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 1-28-2020

Here we go kicking off a new season for my Crematogasters. My large colony that I founded last spring, Sigyn, remains in hibernation for the moment. Yesterday, though, I pulled out my two new Crematogaster queens to start the arduous founding process. I tapped them into fresh tubes and placed a tiny square of paper towel soaked in Sunburst to give them an energy boost. I have them at room temp at the moment for a gradual warm up, but I will lay the dry end of the tubes over a heat cable later today and cover everything with a towel for darkness and more insulation. I remember last year it took from the end of January until the first days of March to get nanitics. This year, I'm not going to freak out about the water level in their tubes nor disturb them in any way ( I did fill the tubes 3/4 full, though)

Here are some photos. Their gasters are pretty swollen:

I also pulled out my Lasius neoniger queen and my Formica argentea queen. I won't start a journal for either until they get nanitics.

Attached Images

• IMG-6515.jpg

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:01 AM.

• rbarreto, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#187 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 28 2020 - 4:37 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Wait 'till these become huge colonies......  %)

• ANTdrew likes this

#188 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 28 2020 - 5:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Haha. Facts
  • TennesseeAnts and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#189 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2020 - 11:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 2-1-2020

Man, I forget how nerve wracking it is to start up queens in the middle of winter. In any case, I have a good set up going to incubate the four new queens I'm starting:

Basically it's just a plastic shoebox with a heat cable under one side. The tubes are wrapped up in my 2018 Capitals championship parade towel for warmth and good luck. I put a normal shoebox over everything for more darkness. Inside the box is staying steady in the low 80s F. I'll flex my self-control muscles and leave the girls totally undisturbed now for at least three weeks.

Attached Images

• IMG-6518.JPG

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:04 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Temperateants, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#190 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 1 2020 - 2:09 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Dang, you have Neoniger? Nerdbox Neoniger's are what I'm calling the colony once they get founded. Keep us updated about them tho. 

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#191 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2020 - 4:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Dang, you have Neoniger? Nerdbox Neoniger's are what I'm calling the colony once they get founded. Keep us updated about them tho.

Nerdbox Neoniger it is! The Nerds for short, lol.
Backstory: the queen was found while trick-or-treating with my kids. I had no containers, so I ate a box of Nerds candy and put her up in there. Haha!

Edited by ANTdrew, February 1 2020 - 4:24 PM.

• treehunned and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#192 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 1 2020 - 4:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Like me and a zip lock bag full of pretzels and a Pheidole queen at school.
  • ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#193 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 1 2020 - 5:03 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Like me chugging a plastic water bottle to catch any queen.

• ANTdrew likes this

#194 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2020 - 5:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Haha. Nice. We should start a thread about crazy things you caught queens in.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#195 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 21 2020 - 6:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 2-21-2020

I checked my four new queens last night for the first time in three weeks. They've been in a dark, heated box all this time, which has been holding steady in mid-low 80s F. I didn't want to distress any queens, so I didn't shine much light and definitely didn't take photos. I'm happy to report that the two new Crematogaster queens have big egg piles now. They are actually really easy ants to found and keep.

I'm holding off on starting journals for my Formica argentea and Lasius neoniger queens, so I will continue to update on them here. Only the Formica queen currently has a few eggs, maybe two or three? The Lasius neoniger seems like a dud to me. She still has her wings and hasn't laid anything. Too bad, I guess, but who knows?

I've been driving lots of Uber in my spare time to save up for a nice THA formicarium for my big colony, Sigyn, so be on the lookout for that. No more crap set ups for my prize colony.

• Acutus and Temperateants like this

#196 Offline Temperateants - Posted February 21 2020 - 7:32 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Do you just heat the whole box? My ants shy away from direct heat, so I was wondering how you raise the average temperature of the container with the ants in?

• ANTdrew likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#197 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 21 2020 - 9:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

If you look up in my earlier post, you'll see how I set up a way to heat up the whole box they're in. This avoids the issue you mentioned of direct heat.

• Temperateants likes this

#198 Offline Acutus - Posted February 21 2020 - 12:29 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Good to see you Crematogasters are doing great!! I need to find a home for mine. I'm just not a tiny ant keeper and I lost most of the colony but did manage to keep it alive. I have an Aphaenogater colony like that too. Both have eggs and workers and could recover well I have no doubt. I'm just never going to do them justice.

• Temperateants likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#199 Offline Temperateants - Posted February 21 2020 - 5:41 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

How much do you check on your Crematogasters? I'm assuming you feed them very often, so everytime you feed them? Last year, my crematogasters consumed some of their brood, unfortunately, so I was wondering if that was from stress or lack of protein. Also, do crematogasters like fruit flies? Mine kinda like chicken breast lol.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#200 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 27 2020 - 12:34 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 2-27-2020

I checked on my new queens again much sooner than I had planned. The reason behind this was that I made their incubator box way too hot. I had decided to try taping some aluminum foil on the top of the shoe box I'm using to cover everything as a way to trap radiant heat, and boy did that work! The temp got up to 91 degrees. I freaked out and wanted to make sure that I hadn't baked any ants, so I had to check...

The good news is that all the queens' brood piles are developing nicely! The two Crematogaster have larvae now, and the Formica queen has a bigger pile of eggs. I think the Cremas could have workers in another two-three weeks at this rate. I won't be taking any pictures until then to avoid disturbances. :ok:

Edited by ANTdrew, February 27 2020 - 12:36 PM.

• AntsDakota and Temperateants like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users