• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

665 replies to this topic

#221 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2020 - 6:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-13-2020

The world is falling apart, but my ants are doing great. I woke up to news today that my school district had closed suddenly, which will probably be the beginning of an extended time away from the classroom. At least I'll have my ants as a welcome diversion.

Sigyn is really thriving in the Nucleus III nest, especially since I started to heat the nest with a mini-heat pad stuck on the back. The entire colony is huddled up as close to the pad as they can, but a lot of ants are up foraging, too. The are wolfing down the dubia roaches and mealworms I've been giving them, so that is an encouraging development. One issue I still have to deal with is getting the satellite colony out of the bead container nest and into the Nucleus. Hopefully I can figure that out today.

One of my new queens is really impressing me! She is already up to seven nanitics with a robust brood pile. I've been giving them nectar drops and insects bits nightly, but today I decided to go ahead and provide them with an outworld and a nectar feeder. I have really high hopes for this queen.

• Boog and AntsDakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#222 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 6:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Let me guess........ Coronavirus?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#223 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2020 - 8:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, indeed. Corona days are the new snow days in our sad world.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#224 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 8:41 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Yes, indeed. Corona days are the new snow days in our sad world.

Just as snow, we hope it will melt and let spring in.

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#225 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2020 - 8:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Amen to that. This too shall pass.
Unsolicited advice to the young people on here: don’t just journal your ants; record what you’re experiencing during this because this is historic.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 13 2020 - 8:52 AM.

• Boog, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#226 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 10:08 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Future generations will think this was insane.......

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#227 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 18 2020 - 11:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-18-2020

I'm down to two Crematogaster colonies now as I sold one of my new queens on Sunday. A second one of the new 2019 queens has workers now and is off to a great start. She currently has eight workers with plenty more on the way. I've been feeding her in her tube, but I opened it up today and put it in one of my BoxBox container outworlds, so they can forage. I figured out a really easy way to feed them nectar in their tube: inserting a blunt tipped syringe and putting a few drops on a bit of paper towel in the tube. I don't have to freak anyone out opening the cotton this way.

Sigyn continues to kick butt in her Nucleus. I love this formicarium and can say that it was worth every nickel. They are eating protein like crazy and chugging lots of nectar. A funny behavior I've noticed is how they like to drop sand from a stick up above their trash pile to bury it. I wonder why they prefer to do this instead of just putting the sand on the pile, but it does keep them from touching the refuse. Here's a photo of the behavior:
IMG 6692

They have a massive brood pile that they've stashed right behind where I stuck on their heat pad:

Crematogaster are simply the best.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:11 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, skocko76, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

#228 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 3 2020 - 7:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-3-2020

All is well in my Crematogaster-verse. Sigyn continues growing and thriving in the Nucleus. I'm feeding them 5-6 mealworms, dubia roaches, or wild caught insects everyday to keep up with their voracious appetites. The feeding frenzies are fun to watch but kind of intimidating at the same time. :o

Here's a Crematogaster happy hour after I replenished their liquid feeder:

2019 Colony:
I love this cute little colony. They are growing super fast in the old BoxBox outworld that Sigyn herself grew up in just last year. I currently count about 30 workers and a crap ton of brood. I'm feeding these at least one dubia roach, mealworm, or multiple fruit flies every day. Crematogaster really need to be fed every single day if you want them to be successful. I don't think they have very big social stomachs.

Attached Images

• IMG-6804.JPG

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:13 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, skocko76, Boog and 3 others like this

#229 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 7:16 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, they're gasters are meant for looks, not social stomaching 

• ANTdrew likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#230 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 3 2020 - 8:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

yeah, they're gasters are meant for looks, not social stomaching

Just how I like it in my girls.
  • skocko76 and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#231 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 8:03 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

:rofl:

you just made my drink come out of my nose! LMAO

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#232 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 8:16 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

This is some quality journal content lol. My goodness, I haven't been that surprised in a pleasant way in quite a while. Thanks AD lol

• ANTdrew likes this

#233 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 8:30 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Keep in mind that 'AD' could mean Ant_Dude, ANTdrew, AntsDakota, or Ants_Dakota.  :)

• FeedTheAnts, AntsMaryland, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

#234 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:03 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I typically just call him AD when I talk to him specifically and haven't used the nickname for anyone else, but I could see the confusion 

• AntsDakota likes this

#235 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Alright. I just must not have seen you use it. I thought of using that nickname for myself, yet decided on 'Adak' (even though its an island and town in Alaska  :lol: ), because I knew there were (at the time) 2 other members with whom the nickname could be confused. 

#236 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:47 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Sorry Adak, lol

• AntsDakota likes this

#237 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

No, don't be. I was just making clear to myself who's calling who what, and what to call who. Who here thinks I'm using 'who' and 'what' too much?  :lol:

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#238 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:13 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

say who if you think so, say what if you disagree lol

• AntsDakota likes this

#239 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Who?  :lol:

#240 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:15 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

What? :rofl:

• AntsDakota likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users