• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts Collective Journal (HUGE picture update - Ants + Formicarium - 7-13-2020)

formicarium temnothorax antkeeping catsnants blacklight small species

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#141 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 29 2019 - 4:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You, uh, might want to slow down on catching new ants. It's very possible to get yoo many than you can take care of.

I second this. You’ll have better luck winning over your parents if you care for a few colonies opposed to a few dozen. You’ll also be able to provide better care for a few colonies. Learn to observe and appreciate ants in their natural habitat.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#142 Offline Acutus - Posted May 29 2019 - 5:02 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

You, uh, might want to slow down on catching new ants. It's very possible to get yoo many than you can take care of.

I second this. You’ll have better luck winning over your parents if you care for a few colonies opposed to a few dozen. You’ll also be able to provide better care for a few colonies. Learn to observe and appreciate ants in their natural habitat.

This is by far the hardest part I have found so far about this hobby!! It's freakin' crazy! Everytime I say I have enough I find something else. there are just way too many choices!!

So far only thing I want other than I have is A. tenneseensis Queen to introduce to my A. Fulvas and I really wanna try the Fungus ants Trachymymex? I think?

• Canadant and TennesseeAnts like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#143 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 29 2019 - 5:16 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

This is by far the hardest part I have found so far about this hobby!! It's freakin' crazy! Everytime I say I have enough I find something else. there are just way too many choices!!
So far only thing I want other than I have is A. tenneseensis Queen to introduce to my A. Fulvas and I really wanna try the Fungus ants Trachymymex? I think?

I feel the same way! :lol: too many choices

Spoiler

#144 Offline Leo - Posted May 29 2019 - 5:44 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Haha I have over 24 colonies  :D  I'm going to release my harpegnathos

Edited by Leo, May 29 2019 - 5:46 PM.

• Acutus likes this

#145 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 29 2019 - 6:29 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Haha I have over 24 colonies :D I'm going to release my harpegnathos

Omg :lol: 6 colonies would probably be where I would start breaking down not being able to handle it!
  • Acutus likes this

Spoiler

#146 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 3:06 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I have over 50 queens and colonies.

#147 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 4:57 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I have over 50 queens and colonies.

GEEZ, how do you manage? :lol:

Spoiler

#148 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 4:57 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Deleted (duplicate)

Edited by CatsnAnts, May 30 2019 - 4:58 AM.

Spoiler

#149 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 4:59 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Deleted (duplicate)

Skillz. (Most of the queens are Camponotus chromaiodes, so they don't need food yet)

#150 Offline Leo - Posted May 30 2019 - 5:24 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Deleted (duplicate)

Skillz. (Most of the queens are Camponotus chromaiodes, so they don't need food yet)

I suck at organization. I just spent 2.5 hours on fortnite and 1.5 on random [censored] and I have 3 exams tmr

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#151 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 30 2019 - 5:48 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I think that you guys are lucky that you can catch more than 10 species in your neighborhood! If you loved in the SC suburbs, none if you would have the "too many ants problem" All joking aside good job with these colonies!
  • TennesseeAnts and TestSubjectOne like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#152 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 8:18 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I think that you guys are lucky that you can catch more than 10 species in your neighborhood! If you loved in the SC suburbs, none if you would have the "too many ants problem" All joking aside good job with these colonies!

Ya, I really do take it for granted that I live in a rural area with LOTS of ants. It would really suck to live somewhere like that, especially since I’m outside practically all of my free time exploring ant colonies and mounds. I’m really excited though lately because my parents are starting to actually act INTERESTED in what I’m doing, like I literally have been keeping a few more of my colonies inside, and they don’t care. And yesterday when I was helping to remodel our basement, it was perfect time to go and look for queen ants, so my dad said to go for it and didn’t mind that I left, I was pretty shocked to say the least. I think they are slowly beginning to realize how cool this hobby is, and how bad I want to get into it, I mean, it’s about time, I’ve only been trying to convince them for the past 4 years.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Spoiler

#153 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 9:13 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Alright, so I was looking through hickory nuts, and I found LOTS of tapinoma sessile, some aphenogaster, and ..... another Temnothorax curvispinosus colony! I think it’s a really large colony because when I picked it up, there were THREE workers foraging on the shell alone, and there’s a lot of room inside. I guess this makes up for the colony I lost yesterday, still mad about that :(. Now I know better and am not going to crack open the nut, but rather am going to find another way to coax them out. The ice cube method worked well for the small Camponotus caryae colony inside that other small wasp nest thing, but if I just let the nut dry out, would they move into the test tube? This worked very well for my aphenogaster colony.

Spoiler

#154 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 9:19 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
One of my Camponotus subbarbatus queens has multiple pupae and larvae already.

#155 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 9:33 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

One of my Camponotus subbarbatus queens has multiple pupae and larvae already.

HOW THO, all three of mine are just starting to get larvae! (How many do you have, and what temp do you keep them at?)

Spoiler

#156 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 9:37 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I have one queen with no workers and a large colony with >70 workers and majors, and tons of brood. I keep them at 82 degrees 24/7.

#157 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 9:49 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I have one queen with no workers and a large colony with >70 workers and majors, and tons of brood. I keep them at 82 degrees 24/7.

Man, I’m hoping mine can reach that stage of maturity. Mine are also kept at about 71 degrees, so that’s probably the reason they grow so slowly!

Also, these temnothorax ants are REALLY STUBBORN. They didn’t even come out of the acorn but maybe one worker when I placed an ice cube touching it.

Spoiler

#158 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 30 2019 - 2:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Ya, I really do take it for granted that I live in a rural area with LOTS of ants. It would really suck to live somewhere like that, especially since I’m outside practically all of my free time exploring ant colonies and mounds. I’m really excited though lately because my parents are starting to actually act INTERESTED in what I’m doing, like I literally have been keeping a few more of my colonies inside, and they don’t care. And yesterday when I was helping to remodel our basement, it was perfect time to go and look for queen ants, so my dad said to go for it and didn’t mind that I left, I was pretty shocked to say the least. I think they are slowly beginning to realize how cool this hobby is, and how bad I want to get into it, I mean, it’s about time, I’ve only been trying to convince them for the past 4 years.

I guess that I am fairly fortunate that my parents let me keep most ants, with the exception of fire ants, and in our house, well, my room only.  Anyway, congrats on them getting more into the hobby!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#159 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 30 2019 - 2:47 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I guess that I am fairly fortunate that my parents let me keep most ants, with the exception of fire ants, and in our house, well, my room only. Anyway, congrats on them getting more into the hobby!

Thxs!

Spoiler

#160 Offline Leo - Posted May 30 2019 - 4:48 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I live in the middle of a city. The only reason I have these ants is because my school is on a mountain

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, temnothorax, antkeeping, catsnants, blacklight, small species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users