• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts Collective Journal (HUGE picture update - Ants + Formicarium - 7-13-2020)

formicarium temnothorax antkeeping catsnants blacklight small species

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#481 Offline madbiologist - Posted June 17 2020 - 3:42 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
I'm currently working on building other types of formicaria, good luck with yours!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#482 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 17 2020 - 3:44 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I'm currently working on building other types of formicaria, good luck with yours!
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks! And to you as well!

Spoiler

#483 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 19 2020 - 6:39 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I’ve been designing a lot more on the formicaria that I plan to build and sell, and I stayed up till midnight last night researching good materials and products (here’s the design if you wish to make this yourself):

But I plan on having two different sizes, as shown in the picture. Most of my materials are coming from Amazon, but I’ll be heading to Home Depot later today to pick up some white grout and other small things. Also, I’ve found a glass-cutting place here in my town that I can order custom sizing from (both 3”x4” and 4”x5” - I changed the size because 4”x6” seems too big for now). Overall, I may change some of the spacing of the magnets to allow for more tunnel room (the magnets are offset to allow for a better hold), and I’m still debating on how I am going to attach the sand whether I will include it when I pour the cast (by sprinkling some on the tunnels) or, the more likely option, using epoxy/a thin layer of wet grout to add some sand. The tubing size I chose is 1/4” inner diameter, which I feel should fit a large variety of species? There’s still a lot of planning to do, but so far so good!

Also, I had to take a dive back into my journal in order to figure out some of the dates that I caught certain queens in previous years, and wow, I was an awful ant keeper :lol:, I cringe at myself.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 19 2020 - 6:45 AM.

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and Froggy like this

Spoiler

#484 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 19 2020 - 6:47 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Wow, impressive! If you were to sell them, they would be big hits.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#485 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 19 2020 - 6:50 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Very nice!  (y)

• CatsnAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#486 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 21 2020 - 5:13 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Just a little update on my existing T. curvispinosus colony:
They’re doing really well in the inception chamber, and I almost want to see just how big I can grow a colony like this under proper conditions with only one queen. They currently occupy two chambers and are starting to spread into a third, have a look:

Now I just need to wait for Temnothorax flights so I can copy Antdude’s 15 queen Formica setup, but rather with Temnothorax ahaha.

Also, just an update on my formicarium-building progress:
So far, everything has an expected delivery date of around June 25, but I have already picked up some grout (Bone color - nice contrast to the sand), epoxy, and tubing. I’ve also added a connection port so that the nests are modular and can infinitely build on one-another, along with a few other changes to improve upon the design. Lots more planning has been done, and it’s basically all I’ve been thinking about lately.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 21 2020 - 5:16 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

#487 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 21 2020 - 5:35 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Just wondering, Will Temnothorax accept new queens? They strike me as the kind of ants that would do that.
  • CatsnAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#488 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 21 2020 - 6:39 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Just wondering, Will Temnothorax accept new queens? They strike me as the kind of ants that would do that.

Well, they are supposed to accept new queens as studies have found, but all of my attempts to introduce new queens to established colonies have failed. However, I have had success when founding more than one queen together as the workers are not present, and the queens are not aggressive. I still wish I had taken better care of my 5 queen T. ambiguus colony, they were my favorite :( - hopefully I’ll get more this year and make another multi-queen setup.
  • TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

#489 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 21 2020 - 8:16 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I’ve recently noticed something in my T. curvispinosus colony today (the one with a queen) that I have a question on. There are about 4 workers that are drastically darker in color than their nest mates, and I’m wondering whether or not these could possibly be dulotic temnothorax workers. These workers are constantly getting into fights with other workers, and it just now popped into my head that these gals might not be T. curvispinosus? Take a look:

I haven’t ever seen any other Temnothorax around here besides T. curvispinosus and T. ambiguus, so this would be rather exciting if I knew more Temnothorax sp. were present in my specific area.

Edit: also just pointing out that I found this colony in a hickory nut a few weeks ago.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 21 2020 - 8:17 AM.

• Antennal_Scrobe and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

#490 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 21 2020 - 10:20 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I’ve recently noticed something in my T. curvispinosus colony today (the one with a queen) that I have a question on. There are about 4 workers that are drastically darker in color than their nest mates, and I’m wondering whether or not these could possibly be dulotic temnothorax workers. These workers are constantly getting into fights with other workers, and it just now popped into my head that these gals might not be T. curvispinosus? Take a look:

I haven’t ever seen any other Temnothorax around here besides T. curvispinosus and T. ambiguus, so this would be rather exciting if I knew more Temnothorax sp. were present in my specific area.

Edit: also just pointing out that I found this colony in a hickory nut a few weeks ago.

I would ask AnthonyP163; he's seen all of the dulotic Temnothorax and would know if that looked like one of them. Otherwise, I would just observe the ants and see what happens. Temnothorax can be a weird genus.

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#491 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 21 2020 - 6:35 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would ask AnthonyP163; he's seen all of the dulotic Temnothorax and would know if that looked like one of them. Otherwise, I would just observe the ants and see what happens. Temnothorax can be a weird genus.

just looks like a larger darker worker, I know Temnothorax do have potential to be polymorphic.

• CatsnAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and AntsDakota like this

#492 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 21 2020 - 6:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

just looks like a larger darker worker, I know Temnothorax do have potential to be polymorphic.
Hmm..... never new that. Could you provide a reference? (I know, I’m such a hypocrite)

#493 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 21 2020 - 7:00 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Hmm..... never new that. Could you provide a reference? (I know, I’m such a hypocrite)

No need, I have seen many polymorphic workers in all of my T. curvispinosus colonies. Their sizes can range quite considerably, and that’s probably what it is! I can always hope that I have some cool Temnothorax around here ;(
  • AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#494 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:03 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I need your opinions!

I have been working on a logo for the past few days that I can use for my Formicaria, and I’ve narrowed it down to two final designs. Each design is my original art, but one has printed text while the other’s text has been drawn by me. The one with printed text is a more “minimalistic” design while the other is a more “lively” design. As for the name “Temnogrid” - “Temnothorax” because temnothorax is my favorite genus and “grid” because of the modular design/tunnels of formicaria (no, these are not made specifically for Temnothorax lol). If you have another name suggestion, please share! None of these designs are set-in-stone and can easily be changed for another name. Don’t be afraid to share your opinions, because I’m way to indecisive and not even sure if I like the name myself.

Here’s the first one (the logo still has a transparent background on the actual copy):

And here’s the second one (I tried to add a “painted” style to the ant in both of these designs, so that’s why it’s not smooth):

And speaking of Formicaria, my materials are all arriving today, however, I have to work a double-shift tomorrow so I won’t have any free time to start on them :(

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 25 2020 - 7:23 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Antkid12 and 1 other like this

Spoiler

#495 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:06 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
The second design looks better in my opinion.
  • CatsnAnts and AntsDakota like this

#496 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

The second design looks better in my opinion.

I concur.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#497 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:14 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I like the first design.
  • TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#498 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:34 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Both are great, but I like the second one a tiny bit better.

• CatsnAnts and AntsDakota like this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#499 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:34 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Make a poll.
  • TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts, Antkid12 and 1 other like this

#500 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:36 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I like the first design.

I also like the first design.

• CatsnAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, temnothorax, antkeeping, catsnants, blacklight, small species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users