• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aargh! Argentine Ants...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kellakk - Posted January 22 2015 - 10:53 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

:threat:  :dash:  :mad:  :ugone2far: They went after some of my roach colonies today.  Of course they couldn't choose the colonies that I don't care too much about, or that have huge numbers. No, of course they went after one of only 2 Blaberus giganteus adults I have left. Of course.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 22 2015 - 11:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Put Fluon on the outside of the container.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline kellakk - Posted January 22 2015 - 11:14 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Put Fluon on the outside of the container.

I have 3 problems, though. 1) I don't yet have Fluon, and 2) the ants can access the containers where they touch other things and 3) I have over 30 species of roach in my collection.

Luckily, they're terrible at killing their prey and only managed to kill 3 individuals, one of which had just molted.  I caught it in time so I removed all the surviving roaches and quarantined those tanks affected.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 22 2015 - 11:32 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Once Argentine ants find a food source, they will not stop until they have overtaken it.

You will have to use a combination of tools and skill to prevent the ants from locating sources of food.  

The only alternative would be to relocate the roach bins every time they are found.  Always remove any ants, and clear their trails on the outside of the containers with a wet cloth, before relocating.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 22 2015 - 11:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Fill a large bin with about an inch of water, and set your ants and stuff in it, so that it acts like a moat.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 22 2015 - 11:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Fill a large bin with about an inch of water, and set your ants and stuff in it, so that it acts like a moat.

I would have advised that, except I didn't figure 30 species of roaches would be contained in a number of setups that would fit in any such moat smaller than, say, a swimming pool.

#7 Offline dermy - Posted January 23 2015 - 8:38 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Stay up for the rest of your life and catch them 1 by one haha! Joking! You can try other barriers, Cooking Oil, Vaseline ect. Find out what works.

#8 Offline kellakk - Posted January 23 2015 - 8:54 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

I would have advised that, except I didn't figure 30 species of roaches would be contained in a number of setups that would fit in any such moat smaller than, say, a swimming pool.

That's about accurate.  :lol:

This isn't the first time my colonies have been attacked.   My parents gave me some ant chalk (I guess it's technically not allowed here, but oh well)  and drawing lines of that everywhere will stop the ants without harming the roaches.  I just hadn't redrawn the lines in a while, so the chalk had eroded away.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted January 23 2015 - 9:22 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Ah, the old Ant Chalk.  A low concentration of insect poison in chalk form.  Not easy to get in the USA or Canada.  I believe it is illegal in parts of the US, but can still be found in certain areas of china towns.

I have never seen it here in Alberta Canada, but I have never looked for it either.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 23 2015 - 10:47 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
drtrmiller, another thing I would do is that for say tables, put a bowl under each leg and fill them.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 23 2015 - 11:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I still don't get why you don't just buy some fluon, move any objects away from the top edges of the containers, and apply a band of fluon to them.

#12 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 23 2015 - 12:27 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

A long time back, I had Argentine ants invade my Subterranean termite colony I used to have.

Termites 1

Argentines 0

I looked in and saw a ton of dead Argentine ants and a few dead termites...the Argentine ants ended up losing. :P Funny thing is...there were dead Argentine ant queens too. Guess they wanted to nest inside my termite colony (probably for the moisture).

#13 Offline kellakk - Posted January 23 2015 - 3:27 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

I still don't get why you don't just buy some fluon, move any objects away from the top edges of the containers, and apply a band of fluon to them.

The reason I said I don't yet have fluon is that it's on the way.  I'll be getting a bottle within the next week. As soon as I get that I will be doing exactly as you say.

Vendayn, Argentine ants seem to be very bad at killing things. They can only do it with overwhelming numbers, and even then they take forever.  That's why they only killed three out of the thousands of roaches I have.

Edited by kellakk, January 23 2015 - 3:29 PM.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#14 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 23 2015 - 4:33 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

A long time back, I had Argentine ants invade my Subterranean termite colony I used to have.

Termites 1

Argentines 0

I looked in and saw a ton of dead Argentine ants and a few dead termites...the Argentine ants ended up losing. :P Funny thing is...there were dead Argentine ant queens too. Guess they wanted to nest inside my termite colony (probably for the moisture).

That would be really fun to watch happen!

#15 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 25 2015 - 11:26 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, Argentine ants can barely kill Pogonomyrmex. Colonies of Pogonomyrmex exist all around in my current area amongst millions of Argentine ants. They don't do much, I'm surprised they can do anything even with numbers. But it is no wonder most other invasive ants tend to drive them out of their established areas.

#16 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 8:48 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It's a bad idea to attempt any kind of pesticide on ant trails for Argentines.  If you can't get them to accept a bait they'll take back to their nest, you're better off not trying to poison them at all.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users