• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dorymyrmex insanus activity in Socal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 25 2015 - 9:05 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

This last week has been warming up in Socal so today I took a walk around my hood and noticed an additional Dorymyrmex nest (being uncovered from hibernation?) near one I've been following. The forecast calls for rain tomorrow, so possibly some flights considering they were seen flying only a month ago?

• BugFinder likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted January 25 2015 - 11:10 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I hope so. I'll be out checking for flights tomorrow then I guess.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 26 2015 - 7:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was looking for Dorymyrmex insanus flights last year in January and February on warm days right after rain and never saw anything, so I'm not too confident it would happen this early. You never know though. Last year in Orange County they flew on March 3rd, a day after it rained, and flew a few more times within the following week. I think Prenolepis imparis would be more likely this early. Last year they flew on February 15th in Orange County, so that's only a couple weeks away.

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 8:43 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I was looking for Dorymyrmex insanus flights last year in January and February on warm days right after rain and never saw anything, so I'm not too confident it would happen this early. You never know though. Last year in Orange County they flew on March 3rd, a day after it rained, and flew a few more times within the following week. I think Prenolepis imparis would be more likely this early. Last year they flew on February 15th in Orange County, so that's only a couple weeks away.

I'll be in OC on Feb 19.  Would love to go anting with you guys if they are flying on that day.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline kellakk - Posted January 26 2015 - 9:12 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Last year was unusual though in that there was no significant rain for almost all of winter.  This year, with more rain overall, might be different.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 26 2015 - 11:43 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I'm wondering if the OC spots are prime ant areas or there just happen to be anters there. Has anyone tried some of the LA areas like Whittier Narrows or the San Gabriel Mountain foothills? I don't want to waste my time if those areas have already been tested.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 26 2015 - 12:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

All the mountains in Southern California are about the same as far as finding ants goes. I just happened to have spent a lot of time in the Santa Ana Mountains because they're close to where I live. The foothills of the San Gabriel, San Bernardino, and San Jacinto Mountains are not much different. Obviously if you want to find the higher elevation species, then the Santa Ana Mountains won't work. It's a much different habitat once you go above 5,000 feet.

I'll be in OC on Feb 19.  Would love to go anting with you guys if they are flying on that day.

I'll keep that in mind.

• BugFinder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users