• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Condensation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 24 2015 - 9:20 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Is it a sign of overly humid or a fact of life? I've had a heat lamp on my colonies so they would always get condensation on the walls. It was a little annoying to not be able to see inside the nest but never been a problem. For some reason, the Crematogasters today started climbing all over with brood and drowning themselves in the drops on the walls. So there I was, scraping brood and dead ants off the nest walls. Thankfully only a few went on that field trip.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 24 2015 - 9:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you heat the surface the condensation is forming on so it's warmer than the dew point inside the nest, the condensation will evaporate.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 24 2015 - 9:30 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

If you heat the surface the condensation is forming on so it's warmer than the air inside, it will evaporate.

It's been warmer lately so I'm going to see how leaving the lamp off for a few days goes...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 24 2015 - 9:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Actually I slightly changed my post, so re-read it haha. It's more accurate now.

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 24 2015 - 9:37 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Condensation is a physical phenomena that occurs when moisture in the air condenses on a cooler surface. Smooth surfaces such as glass or acrylic are more prone to condensation.

As gaseous water molecules are buzzing around, they contact the cooler surface and quickly lose energy, converting from a gas to a liquid.  This happens over and over until larger and larger water droplets form.

If the environment on the inside of your formicarium is warm and moist, and the temperature in the room is cooler by even a few degrees, the water will condense on the inside glass/acrylic of the nest, and it will take a considerable amount of energy to convert it back into a gas.

The easiest way to prevent condensation is to minimize changes in temperature in the room where the ants are kept, or to gently heat the viewing side glass/acrylic of the formicarium so that moisture inside does not lose energy and convert from a gas to a liquid upon contacting the smooth surface.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 24 2015 - 9:40 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline Etherwulf - Posted January 24 2015 - 11:37 PM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

Which explains why Terry was planning to use expensive heated glass for his Found formicarium amongst other things. For me, I don't have said problem because of the tropical climate here. However, to deal with the problem, either heat the glass/acrylic or keep the room temperature constant.

Or you can try a water pump setup (credit:Terry) which pumps air into a water reservoir, ventilating the formicarium while maintaining the humidity level. That said, condensation does form on the exit/opening so a dry pump might needed. I've tried prototypes with small PC fans as a way of ventilating the nest but the setup has yet to be perfected.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted January 25 2015 - 1:09 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I use a heating cable under all my colonies, so I always have some condensation on the viewing glass.  I just water less, so that I only have a little condensation.  In my mind, if it is humid enough for any condensation to form, then I figure that it is humid enough for my ants.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users