• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to keep? (Care Sheet)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alza - Posted December 25 2014 - 11:23 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Here you post tips on certain species, for beginners!

Linepithema Humile: A very aggressive ant species that accepts multiple queens, and is non-stinging. These ants are very wide spread, as they are invasive. This species is extremely successful, and on a scale of 1-10, one being easiest, and ten being hardest, these ants would rate about a three.

Size: This species workers are 3m and the queens are two, or four times their length. 

Distribution: The native range of Argentine ants is limited to around major waterways in the lowland areas of the ParanĂ¡ River drainage; They have recently spread into parts ofArgentinaBrazilChileColombiaEcuador, and Peru.[2] The species has become established in at least 15 countries throughout the world, on six continents, as well as many oceanic islands.[3] - Wikipedia 

Food source: Honey, Sugar water, Fruit flies, and Crickets (fully sized crickets can be fed if there are more then twenty workers)
I normally have a tube with 40 ml of water, and i toss three sugar cubes into it. For Colonies with up to ten workers, i recommend four fruit flies every two days, along with sugar water or honey.

Queen Care: Very difficult to start a colony with a queen alone, I suggest boost workers. One to three workers should do the job, and after catching the queen she will be frightened, and eager to lay eggs. They do best in test tubes. 

#2 Offline Alza - Posted December 25 2014 - 11:44 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Pogonomyrmex californicus (bicolor): Rather energetic at times, and other times not. This species accepts one queen only, and is a stinging species. They are well known throughout the south western US and mexico. They are very hardy, and not too hostile. On a scale of 1-10, one being easiest, and ten being hardest, I would rate them a four. 

Size: the workers are about 7mm and the queen 8-9mm( I believe )

Distribution: Mexico and United States. Western Texas, southern New Mexico, southern Utah, Arizona, Nevada and southern California, Mexico - Baja California and Sonora, Chihuahua. - Navajo Nature

Food Source: Will eat a variety of seeds and arthropods, And will also drink Sugar water. For me, i use kentucky blue grass seeds, fruit flies, crickets, and mealworms. Every week I recommend six seeds, and every two days five fruit flies, and Sugar water(feed more if over ten workers).

Queen Care: Very hardy, does not need boost workers, and is semi claustral. Semi claustral meaning it forages during its colony founding period. Kentucky blue grass seeds, and some fruit flies should do great. They do best in untouched dirt habitats, but most ant keepers keep them in test tubes, which is the second best option.

Edited by Alza, December 26 2014 - 2:57 PM.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 26 2014 - 12:44 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This is an interesting concept. One thing that I would suggest, is put the species name in large, bold letters on the top of the post, for example, 

Pogonomyrmex californicus (bicolor)

Other than that, I will be posting some in here too.

#4 Offline Alza - Posted December 26 2014 - 2:07 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

thanks for the input ^_^ ill do that next time  

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 26 2014 - 2:43 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You can edit posts too. :P

• dspdrew likes this

#6 Offline Alza - Posted January 22 2015 - 3:47 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

should i discontinue this ? nobody uses it...

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 22 2015 - 5:24 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nah.

#8 Offline Alza - Posted January 22 2015 - 9:10 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I wonder when somebody will do a care sheet...

#9 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 23 2015 - 4:29 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

That would take another website to do that!

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 24 2015 - 5:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Wow, Alza. Your thread sparked a whole new section on the forum. Be proud of yourself.

#11 Offline Alza - Posted January 24 2015 - 5:29 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Besides the fact that nobody cares about it, I am.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users