• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Ants

southern california map sightings dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 18 2015 - 12:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hey, for all the Southern California people here, I finally updated my "Southern California Ants" Google Map after Google made some changes to the application that kind of broke it. I now use red points for all alates or queens spotted, and the old blue points for workers.

I refer to this map constantly as we move through the anting season. Each entry has the exact date and time the alates or queens were caught, along with lots of other info. This helps greatly when trying to predict when I might catch them the next time around. Most records were added in the order they're listed also.

If you want the .KMZ files, they are attached to this post for download. One is the entire map, and the other is just the specimens.

If you have a sighting in the Southern California area you would like to add to the map, I guess this thread would be the place to report it.

If it's a worker, give me the following:

1. GPS coordinates
2. Species
3. Date found
4. Location of the nest or just an individual?
5. Links to any associated forum threads (like journals or ID threads), videos, or pictures of yours.

If it's an alate or dealate give me the following:

1. GPS coordinates
2. Species
3. Alate or Dealate?
4. Time and date found.
5. Behavior at the time found
6. Nuptial flight time and date if known
7. Location of the nest or just an individual?
8. Links to any associated forum threads (like journals or ID threads), videos, or pictures of yours.

If it's a worker of a species that's already been reported in the area, then I might not add it.

Attached Files

• Foogoo likes this

#2 Offline Chromerust - Posted January 18 2015 - 1:28 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
That is pretty awesome. Nobody in SoCal has any excuse to whine about not finding queens. If you don't get some then you really didn't try.
  • dspdrew likes this

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 18 2015 - 1:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Very true.

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 18 2015 - 11:59 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

That is pretty awesome. Nobody in SoCal has any excuse to whine about not finding queens. If you don't get some then you really didn't try.

Hopefully I'll have some luck this spring!

Edit: My friend lives in Wrightwood and it looks like there's more than a few potentially good locations to hunt nearby. I'll be visiting her a lot soon!

Edited by Foogoo, January 19 2015 - 12:08 AM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline LAnt - Posted January 19 2015 - 9:28 AM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Another reason to move to SoCal

#6 Offline jimbodw07 - Posted January 22 2015 - 10:17 AM

jimbodw07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationHigh Desert, CA

This is absolutely essential. I was wondering if others are able to add data to this map. We could add some more of the Myrmecocystus species in the high desert.

There are two kinds of sufferers in this world:
Those who suffer from a lack of life...and those who suffer 
from an overabundance of life.
-Waking Life

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 22 2015 - 1:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Right now I'm the only one who can edit it. If you PM me some other locations--particularly queens--I'd love to add them.

#8 Offline LAnt - Posted January 22 2015 - 4:38 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
They have some site called inaturalist.org where you can add nature finds. I don't know how popular it will get between us though.
  • LAnt likes this

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 20 2015 - 10:57 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

How would you like us to present new finds to you to add to the map? Coordinates? Map link? Area description? Battleship coordinates?

I think this map is great not only for revisiting "lucky" areas but also predicting whether certain areas are worth visiting or don't have much other than Linepithema (hint: SGV). Almost everyone has been open and willing to share where they've got their finds. It's not gold you guys/gals. As my friends like to say: "They're just ants!".

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 21 2015 - 1:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I guess this thread would be a good place to report sitings if you are in the Southern California area.

If it's a worker, give me the following:

1. GPS coordinates
2. Species
3. Date found
4. Location of the nest or just an individual?
5. Links to any associated forum threads (like journals or ID threads), videos, or pictures of yours.

If it's an alate or dealate give me the following:

1. GPS coordinates
2. Species
3. Alate or Dealate?
4. Time and date found.
5. Behavior at the time found
6. Nuptial flight time and date if known
7. Location of the nest or just an individual?
8. Links to any associated forum threads (like journals or ID threads), videos, or pictures of yours.

If it's a worker of a species that's already been reported in the area, then I might not add it.

#11 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 10 2015 - 9:33 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Here are the ones I found recently to add to your map:

33.920423, -117.820677 and 33.920143, -117.821169

Dorymyrmex insanus

11:00am, 3/9/2015

Dug up founding chambers

http://www.formicult...t-observations/

34.049121, -118.071439

Dorymyrmex cf. bicolor

11:00am, 3/6/2015

Swarming alates and wandering dealates

Multiple nests

EDIT: There were also a good number of Pogonomyrmex californicus(?) nests in this area, including one nest that was almost literally a geyser of workers pouring out.

Edited by Foogoo, March 10 2015 - 9:58 AM.

#12 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 5 2015 - 10:51 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
34°12'13.9"N 118°09'32.4"W
34.203850, -118.159003
Pogonomyrmex californicus
5:45pm 4/3/2014
Workers amidst Argentine attack at nest
https://onedrive.liv...thint=video,mp4

Edited by dspdrew, May 2 2015 - 10:31 PM.
Fixed link

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#13 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 5 2015 - 10:54 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
34°12'11.0"N 118°09'20.9"W
34.203054, -118.155792
Pogonomyrmex californicus
5:30pm 4/3/2014
Workers at nest
https://onedrive.liv...thint=video,mp4

Edited by dspdrew, May 2 2015 - 10:37 PM.
Fixed link

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 5 2015 - 11:18 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Forgot about this thread. I'll try to add them when I get a chance.

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 20 2015 - 9:30 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Here are the locations I found the Formica queens on 4-18-2015 between 11am-3pm:

34.260440, -117.467910

34.274532, -117.453483 (actually a few yards east at the creek/road junction)

34.316333, -117.499778

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 2 2015 - 10:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I updated the map.

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 6 2015 - 2:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Added lots of new records.

#18 Offline aniles71077 - Posted June 8 2015 - 8:14 PM

aniles71077

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

33°53'04.3"N 118°07'29.1"W

P. californicus
Dealates
~6:45-7:30pm 6/7/15
3 individuals walking on the concrete (6/7/15). 2 dug up from founding chambers (6/8/15)

#19 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 9 2015 - 7:07 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Are you interested in adding more P. californicus records considering how abundant they are? I have a few more if you are.

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 9 2015 - 8:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Only if they are queens, or if it's an area that doesn't have any P. californicus marked yet. Also only if you are 100% sure they're P. californicus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: southern california, map, sightings, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users