• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dusty's Veromessor Pergandei Colony (my first time!)

veromessor pergandei southern california el mirage dry lake desert harvester

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DustyDoes - Posted April 11 2022 - 11:22 AM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

On April 2, 2022 I collected two queen Veromessor Pergandei from the north-east edge of El Mirage Dry Lake bed in Southern California, one alate and one dealate. I've never collected a queen before, but after reading Dspdrew's v.pergandei journal, I'm optimistic about getting a colony going.

ElMirage

PXL 20220402 214937752.MP

PXL 20220402 214705835.MP

Edited by DustyDoes, April 11 2022 - 11:23 AM.

• AntsLA-1 and Shazza like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 11 2022 - 12:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Best of luck on your new colonies! Just a tip: capitalize genus name, but not species name, ie, Veromessor pergandei.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline DustyDoes - Posted April 11 2022 - 12:27 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

Best of luck on your new colonies! Just a tip: capitalize genus name, but not species name, ie, Veromessor pergandei.

Thanks!  :facepalm: LoL

#4 Offline DustyDoes - Posted April 11 2022 - 12:29 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

On April 6, 2022 I found the dealate queen with a small pile of eggs. I was wondering what the timeline might be for this. Four days is quicker than expected. There is no change with the alate queen. She still has her wings and spends a lot of time chewing at the dry cotton plug at the end of the tube. My suspicion is that she's not fertile, so I'm wondering what to do with her.

V.pergandei with eggs

V pergandei queens

Edited by DustyDoes, April 11 2022 - 12:32 PM.

• ANTdrew and AntsLA-1 like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 11 2022 - 1:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think I’d enjoy keeping this species very much. Give the alate queen more time; she may surprise.
  • DustyDoes likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline DustyDoes - Posted April 11 2022 - 1:34 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

On April 8th, I noticed even more eggs in the dealate queen's tube. She's up to about 20 eggs now. I'm excited to see how they do. She seems like an attentive mother so far, tending the pile all the time.

PXL 20220410 155217746.PORTRAIT~2

PXL 20220410 155115423.TS~5
This video doesn't seem to play from my V.pergandei gallery when I link it here. Weird.

Edited by DustyDoes, April 11 2022 - 1:37 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#7 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 11 2022 - 2:51 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Thanks!  :facepalm: LoL

I just realized I do that all the time too, it's become a habit lol

• DustyDoes and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#8 Offline DustyDoes - Posted May 8 2022 - 7:49 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

The egg-laying queen continues to rearrange her egg pile every day. She chews on the wet cotton so much that it's making these weird artistic squiggles that stick out from the wall. Kind of cool, actually.

PXL 20220507 160823789.MP

The winged queen I collected the same day has died.

PXL 20220502 151355012

I am going to buy a starter formicarium and a bag of seed from DSPDrew so I am prepared in case workers do eventually eclose from these eggs. I'm sure it's a little optimistic to prepare for the long-run this early, but I've got my fingers crossed that we're on that path.

#9 Offline DustyDoes - Posted May 8 2022 - 8:03 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

Eggs first appeared on around April 6th, and more eggs seem to be gradually added to the pile to a total of about 25 by my best estimate. In dspdrew's V.pergandei journal started in 2014, he had large larva in just a few weeks. My eggs seem to be exactly the same as the day they appeared. How long might it take for larva to begin to appear? They're in a dark cardboard box with a warming lamp outside of it. Thermometer inside the box reads about 80F most of the time.

Edited by DustyDoes, May 8 2022 - 8:03 PM.

#10 Offline ElisAnts - Posted May 9 2022 - 11:02 PM

ElisAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
mine took a while as well, before you know it youll have workers, you just put her away and stop looking at her for 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: veromessor pergandei, southern california, el mirage dry lake, desert, harvester

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users