• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dorymyrmex cf. bicolor mating flight observations

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kellakk - Posted March 6 2015 - 11:04 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I saw what I think is Dorymyrmex bicolor fly today at noon, then came back at 5 PM to see if I could dig up any.  I forgot to take pictures, but these are the observations I made.

1. The dealates often land near the original nest and then run around on the ground looking for a good spot.

2. The dealates are very tolerant of each other compared to Dorymyrmex insanus dealates.

This is what happened when I put D. bicolor together, compared to (next pic) what happened when I put D. insanus together.

2015 03 06 21.51.35
2015 03 06 21.44.48

3. Founding chambers for D. bicolor that I dug up didn't have the characteristic Dorymyrmex dirt mound on top of it.  Instead, the dirt was scattered in every direction. Sorry I don't have photo evidence of this, I didn't think to take photos of founding chambers before I dug them up.

4. D. insanus likes to eat D. bicolor dealates.  This is pretty obvious, but I wanted to include it so I could show the dealates I rescued from D. insanus. They still have D. insanus workers stuck to them :D
2015 03 06 21.49.34
2015 03 06 21.49.40
2015 03 06 21.49.59

Yup, that's it! Just wanted to post this in case it helps people in the future.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 6 2015 - 11:44 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, these look like the same Dorymyrmex cf. bicolor I caught.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 7 2015 - 7:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Very nice. This helps a lot.

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 7 2015 - 8:51 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Thanks! I plan to stop by the huge nest that flew on Friday tomorrow on my way home (thank you daylight saving time!) to see if I can dig up some founding chambers.

A few observations of my own: During the hubub of seeing their alates off with workers and males scurrying everywhere, I found at least two wingless queens amidst the party, both being attacked by their own workers. One I managed to rescue, the other I assumed was a queen based on what was left of her... What's up with that?

On two occasions I saw what looked like possible founding chambers, one in the process of something digging it. When I took a scoop with my shovel, something zoomed out of it and into the air. Could that have been the alate? Or probably some other flying creature?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 7 2015 - 9:46 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well, ground nesting bees make mounds sort of similar to ant mounds (I think the bees have bigger grains though and a different look to the mound).

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 9 2015 - 5:00 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I believe this is the spot kellakk was at. These were all D. bicolor. The extent of their nests is insane.

3gVoVBGl.jpg

JrniwXDl.jpg

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 9 2015 - 5:16 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Woah!!! That is crazy! They are so close together, you didn't see aggression???

#8 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 9 2015 - 5:44 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Woah!!! That is crazy! They are so close together, you didn't see aggression???

Nope. My guess is it was one huge network of nests. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dorymyrmex one of the species that make super-nests like Linepithema?

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 9 2015 - 6:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's how dense they are at the park down the street from my apartment.

#10 Offline kellakk - Posted March 9 2015 - 8:39 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

That's where I was.  The wind blew all the alates south of that area though.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users