• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why I quit ant keeping...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MatthewPL - Posted April 21 2018 - 11:13 PM

MatthewPL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello my dear forum-friends,

I was thinking about this decision for a long time, and I don't know if this is right. 

Let's start from the beginning:

A year ago I bought a lasius flavus queen with no workers. She died in 5 months.

Now I have Lasius Niger queen, who had 15 or 16 workers that died from aging and my queen didn't produce any new workers. Guys that I bought her from told me that it was good to put them into a formicarium, but I read that it was not. Now the queen is in test tube with one worker and two larvae.

This is why I quit, because everything and everyone were against me... 

#2 Offline Barristan - Posted April 21 2018 - 11:45 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

How old is your Lasius niger colony? I don't think they died from aging. How warm do you keep them? Has the test tube still enough water? What did you feed them?

• Enderz likes this

#3 Offline Enderz - Posted April 22 2018 - 12:19 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Well 3 failures doesn't seem like too much of a deal, many people have had more failures. Just try again until you succeed that's my advice.

• Ant Broski, TennesseeAnts and Formiga like this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted April 22 2018 - 12:33 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

How old is your Lasius niger colony? I don't think they died from aging. How warm do you keep them? Has the test tube still enough water? What did you feed them?

This. Give us some infomation about your setup and what you're doing and we might be able to help you.

If you feed and care for a Lasius niger correctly they can explode in size very very quickly, one worker and two larvae is more than enough to continue - with good care they can grow to over 500 workers in just a few months.

• Ant Broski likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline KBant - Posted April 22 2018 - 1:15 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

You’re gonna go far bro. Love the enthusiasm, perseverance and positivity.
  • VoidElecent, Chicken_eater100 and smares like this

#6 Offline dermy - Posted April 22 2018 - 1:29 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I was thinking about this decision for a long time, and I don't know if this is right. 

A year ago I bought a lasius flavus queen with no workers. She died in 5 months.

Now I have Lasius Niger queen, who had 15 or 16 workers that died from aging and my queen didn't produce any new workers. Guys that I bought her from told me that it was good to put them into a formicarium, but I read that it was not. Now the queen is in test tube with one worker and two larvae.

Take it from me, ant keeping can be really hard sometimes, it's all about luck patience and keeping at it. Just last year I lost 100% of my ants and I'm still gonna at least try again this year, knowing FULL WELL that 80% will probably be killed. At least you don't have kids killing your colonies like I do.

Give it another try it's the perfect time to try too :D

• Ant Broski likes this

#7 Offline nurbs - Posted April 22 2018 - 1:34 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

POPULAR

Antkeeping isn't easy, but also not hard. You barely even started. Keep trying!

Edited by nurbs, April 22 2018 - 1:35 AM.

• Ants4fun, gcsnelling, dermy and 9 others like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#8 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 22 2018 - 4:19 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I am batting 50% loss on my 4 queens so far, not counting the worker I thought was a queen or the drone I thought was a queen and I've only been collecting since September. I think if you read any account of beginner ant keeping heavy losses are the name of the game, and make the first surviving colony that much sweeter.

#9 Offline GeorgeK - Posted April 22 2018 - 7:26 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

My first colony died of mite infestation, i drowned two more... But now i have 4 colonies, all going strong, so i guess don't give up, just like with everything else in life.

#10 Offline Mortamir - Posted April 22 2018 - 7:37 AM

Mortamir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRavensdale, WA

Don't give a [censored]. Want to quit? Peace. You want a shoulder rub? Join a massage pallor. If you are to ignorant to take care of something, don't. Derp.
So many 12 years old on this [censored].

#11 Offline dermy - Posted April 22 2018 - 8:20 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Don't give a [censored]. Want to quit? Peace. You want a shoulder rub? Join a massage pallor. If you are to ignorant to take care of something, don't. Derp.

Dude calm down, I don't think the forum or anyone wants to see this sort of stuff. I think we should keep the discussion to explaining that hey ant keeping isn't all roses and rainbows instead of bashing each-other that's how hobbies and stuff crash out.

• Reacker, Barristan, Cameron C. Thomas and 4 others like this

#12 Offline KBant - Posted April 22 2018 - 8:22 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Whoa man...chill.

#13 Offline GeorgeK - Posted April 22 2018 - 8:52 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Talking about 12 year olds :lol:

• Reacker and gcsnelling like this

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted April 22 2018 - 9:19 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Yeah, let's take it easy.

@MatthewPL, my first queens I managed to catch all died, the first and second year. I had caught over 10. It's a learning curve. Just do your research and I recommend not buying ants without workers from other people. It can take a few times to get a good mature colony.
  • Ant Broski and Wilbo62 like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#15 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 22 2018 - 9:37 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Ouch.

@MatthewPL, I would have quit at least 25 times if I stopped after two queens

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#16 Offline anttics - Posted April 22 2018 - 12:19 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Don't sweat it kid. You took the wrong path. I started keeping ants 6 months ago. Before I started. I learn all I could. I was also lucky to get my colonie from a helpful gan member. Who answer the basic questions to get me going. I SUGGEST you read all you can about this species, and the journals which helped me a lot. On how to care for my veromessor which are the easiest ants to keep for a bigginer. Thus year I started with acamponotus species. Which has some eggs that have not grown in more than a month. 90% chance she is infertile or.maybe eating her eggs. If she fails I rinse and repeat. It's not big deal. You learn be error.

#17 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted April 22 2018 - 1:12 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I spent $220 on an Odontomachus haematodus colony. They all died within two weeks for no apparent reason, but I wasn't surprised. You learn to deal with these things as you continue along your antkeeping. So, metaphorically, you're skin gets thicker as you go on. 

Basically, your first few losses with hurt pretty badly. However, once you rear some successful colonies to keep you company, you'll be less upset about it and be ready to try again. I promise you that if everyone here quit after two queens died, none of use would be here.

Edited by Ants_Texas, April 22 2018 - 1:16 PM.

#18 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 22 2018 - 1:41 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Talking about 12 year olds :lol:
WHOA did I join a call of duty match?!
Deja vu :lol:

*I just wanted to add, a game comes with an age rating; keeping ants, or any critter interest, doesn't matter to a young child...there are some very smart and interested kids out there who may use this forum, and it should be kept clean

If you wanna talk like that, go bust some headshots on cod :P

Edited by StayLoki, April 22 2018 - 2:00 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#19 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 22 2018 - 1:50 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
@Matthew.. Ant husbandry has so many unknowns. It still has unknowns even to 'experts'! People with PhDs are still trying to find out what makes certain species successful or not, so don't be discouraged.
I mean if you're losing interest in the hobby then so be it..but if you still want to keep trying this forum is a great resource, and there's a website to buy legit queens from instead of dudes in your neighborhood :X
Good luck mate!
Don't let nothin' get you down ;)

Edited by StayLoki, April 22 2018 - 1:52 PM.

#20 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted April 22 2018 - 7:12 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
I had a pheidole queen that died, I caught a tetramorium queen that got decapitated my mom, a camponotus queen that I caught died during hibernation and almost lost my lasius neoniger queen from a test tube flood.

Ow.

Edited by Chicken_eater100, April 22 2018 - 7:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users